Author Topic: My new project: Writing a book, gathering memoirs  (Read 997 times)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Re: My new project: Writing a book, gathering memoirs
« Reply #15 on: 18-04-2014, 20:04:14 »
Why? There is a similiar book I have called "Mehmedin Kitabı" (translates into: Mehmed's Book- Mehmed is sth like Tommy, Doughboy, etc.. used for Turks) It only tells the stories of Turkish side, but its prefectly balanced and is not biased. I truly believe that this book will be objective because all the men I will be interviewing are smart people and they can understand that this book needs to be objective. Also, its "Turk", not "turk".

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19-04-2014, 18:04:06 »
Its a war, even if someone is the brightest match in the bunch he fights for a reason and believes in a cause. In order to kill someone, something that is illogical in normal world, you need to have certain instincts driven by beliefs which you cannot turn off by being smart. Some of the masterminds of the holocaust and the Nazi war machine were extremely smart.

As for that book, its unbiased for you, from your point of view. Ask a Kurd about it and he will say that its all turk lies, or perhaps it could be that you are right and its unbiased. Still unless you ask someone from the other side you cant be certain.

What i mean to say is that historians who have studied well more than you and have had far more experience on such topics than you, fail to accomplish complete lack of bias. Perhaps it would be easier to gather the memoirs and as already mentioned have citations showing official figures.

Maybe what would be best is if you could find both Kurds and turks who fought on the same battle and show the different views on the battle.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19-04-2014, 18:04:35 »
Bouras, start capitalizing the t. Turks or not, whatever they did, should still be treated the same way. I note that you capitalize the nazis, which is...confusing. Also you're saying his book would be biased if not for the Kurd point of view and yet you're biased against Turks.  ;D It's saying more about you than about Turks, imo.

(Disclaimer: just calling for mutual respect)
He was not wrong. Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:54 »
I never said i was not biased against turks. Not the point though.

You can either gather memoirs for Turkish folks to read and enjoy or try and show both sides which is the mid point and could lead to a broader audience, but simply stating that you are unbiased cannot make you unbiased. Besides you said this will be a personal project anyways so it doesn't really matter whether or not you are supporting one or another side. All it matters is gathering the stories and having them for future study.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:21 »
I do agree on Bouras' point, though. Just saying it isn't biased doesn't make it objectively true.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:10 »
How can talking about the life in outposts, what they do during combat, when these happened, etc... be biased? Im not doing neither Turkish or Kurdish propaganda.

And find me an ex-terrorist if it is that easy for you, will you Bouras?

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:03 »
Because at that outpost an RPG or an IED blew up your buddy Hassan. Because during combat your bro from bootcamp, Mustafa could have gotten his head blown by a 7.62 round. That makes you pretty biased against the enemy who did it.

According to turkish intelligence we help the Kurds so, heck, who knows might be easy.

But protip: Try jails or relatives who might have heard second hand accounts. Again though that is too much of a hassle for a personal project with limited budget.

Offline PanzerKnacker

• Tommyjäger
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:44 »
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I'm not saying you're doing anyone's propaganda. I'm just saying both views are better than just one.
Although you are indeed just working on a personal project so that doesn't matter so much.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 19-04-2014, 19:04:51 »
Because at that outpost an RPG or an IED blew up your buddy Hassan. Because during combat your bro from bootcamp, Mustafa could have gotten his head blown by a 7.62 round. That makes you pretty biased against the enemy who did it.

According to turkish intelligence we help the Kurds so, heck, who knows might be easy.

But protip: Try jails or relatives who might have heard second hand accounts. Again though that is too much of a hassle for a personal project with limited budget.

First of all, the opposite could happen too. For example, the similiar book I read had some soldiers saying "Why the hell are we even fighting? Lets just give them the soil, we are dying for nothing!"

Secondly, Erdogan allready gave amnesty to PKK members in prison.

As my final note, I will not go all the way to Diyarbakir and check prison cells or mingle inside a cave in mount Gabar looking for donkeys with AK's just because a Hellenic version of Jackie Chan told me to do so.
The book will be biased if it is destined to be, but I will do my best to keep any political views out of it. Period.

Now, back to topic. Any other questions that might lead to interesting answers?

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 19-04-2014, 20:04:34 »
A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.

My new description, thanks mate.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 19-04-2014, 20:04:06 »
No problem, sounds pretty authentic :P ;D

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20-04-2014, 10:04:36 »
Ask about what they think about Kurdish people?

About that bias thing. Well, I still never get into my mind about differing point of views of the Partisans.

Yes, attacking while hiding in civilian disguise is plainly coward act. No matter who did that, the Talibs, Iraqi insurgents, Al Qaeda, nor the WW2 national loyalists and anti-Nazis. Now that's pretty neutral, because you don't distinguish the party, be it terrorist organization or just a group of anti-Nazis. But the Jews and other minorities might bring a lot of points to counter that argument, with some background stories. That background story is what you are going to write there.

But, the Nazi, like Al-Qaeda don't distinguish their target, and are hell bent on achieving their objective: murdering every people who disagree with them. The innocents are legitimate target for them, this is why we consider their method to be evil. You cannot be fair to them, but you can at least be fair to the nation of Germany, who elected the Austrian to the office.

People have different attitude towards clever tactics. Some say it is cowardice, some say it is brilliance. If PKK can slips a bomb through heavily guarded installations, it is either that. If you, being a Turk, telling too much story about the Kurds to avoid being accused favoritism, you might be seen as a traitor, sympathizer, etc. So bias or not, it depends on the readers.