Author Topic: Picture of the Day  (Read 2080916 times)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Picture of the Day
« Reply #11850 on: 08-02-2014, 18:02:30 »
Nobody knows for sure, the picture is to unclear, but the bayonet seems to go in that direction. Carcano's where used to guard camps so its possible.

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11851 on: 08-02-2014, 23:02:16 »

Dutch soldier belonging to a Cavalry Regiment with his M1895 "Carbine No.1 NM" Bayonet mounted on his No.1 NM Carbine

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11852 on: 08-02-2014, 23:02:40 »
Classic.
One day before the enemy reaches the concentration camp, the SS guards press Volkssturm and Hitleryouth into their positions and take to their heels.

Kriegsfischkutter (KFK) in service.
Kriegsfischkutter means War-Fishing-Boat. Unless the name suggests, these were not sent out for fishing during wartimes. The story behind this is a different one. Shortly after World War I a program was iniciated to give out cheap loans to fishers for them to buy a standartized fishing boat. In the return for the cheap loan, the boat could be drafted in wartimes and was designed to be easily converted into a warship. In 1942 a total of another 1000 boats had been ordered to be build and 44 of these were ordered by the german department of agriculture from neutral swedish shipyards which were immediatly converted after they had been delivered as fully functional fishing boats. The armament ranged from small machine guns to heavy automatic AA guns and usually included depth charges. Hundrets of these boats formed the first line of defense along the continental coasts.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline SirGutz

• View Profile
« Reply #11853 on: 09-02-2014, 00:02:00 »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11854 on: 09-02-2014, 00:02:33 »
Classic.
One day before the enemy reaches the concentration camp, the SS guards press Volkssturm and Hitleryouth into their positions and take to their heels.

Nope, that's a Ukrainian camp guard.  He has the foreign-volunteer armband.

Offline Sander93

• View Profile
« Reply #11855 on: 09-02-2014, 00:02:07 »

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11856 on: 09-02-2014, 01:02:50 »
Well, visited my grandma 2 days ago and she digged out some stuff of my other grandfather who I have never met. Pictures were very small and quality of the photos also due to bad light setting not good. Well, even better news is that there are far over 30 letters letters from the Eastern Front, partly written on a nearly weekly basis.

Anyway:

Northern part of the Eastern front, probably in fall 1944. The insignia on the sidecar is the one from the 329. Infanterie Division. I can not say the location for sure, but it's likeley to be on the retreat towards Latvia, which eventually ended with the surrender in the Courland Pocket, where he became POW.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11857 on: 09-02-2014, 08:02:01 »
Looking forward to see more pictures, Surfbird!
My mothers father was a member of the 215th Infantry Division and also took part in the Battle for the Kurland Kessel. But unlike your grandpa, his unit made it out there and back to the Hel Peninsula in Western Prussia, where they fought until the official end of the war. Afterwards he was taken to Siberia as a POW for three years, IIRC.
And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11858 on: 10-02-2014, 14:02:06 »

During battle of Tali-Ihantala.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11859 on: 10-02-2014, 14:02:31 »

Can't say when or where with this one.

@homer_jay:

That's interesting. I didn't read all letters yet, but what I know is that he was between St. Petersburg & Moscow before in 1942, but not with the 329. Infanteriedivision, but a different one. They were moved to the 329th in 1944, but he was part of a different division before. I hope to find out more details.

Offline hOMEr_jAy

• Lannister Loyalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11860 on: 10-02-2014, 15:02:42 »
Surfbird, you´re really lucky to have your grandpas Feldpost letters! I "only" found a form my grandpa filled out to claim compensation because he became a POW. That´s how I found out about the unit he served in, his rank and where his unit surrendered.
I did some quick research and found out that in late 44 the 329th ID was reinforced by elements of Luftwaffe ground units:
Nach dem Einsatzen der Schlammperiode wurden die verbleibenden Reste der Division am 8. November 1944 aus der Front genommen und in den Raum Broceni nordöstlich von Frauenburg verlegt. Zur Auffrischung der Division wurden wesentliche Teile der 21. Luftwaffen-Feld-Division eingegliedert: Jäger-Regiment 42 (L), Füsilier-Bataillon 21 (L), Luftwaffen-Artillerie-Regiment 21 (L). Wesentliche Teile der Divison mußten neu aufgestellt werden. Außerdem wurde der Division das Sicherungs-Regiment 51 unterstellt. Anfang Dezember wurde die Division wieder in die Front eingeschoben und übernahm einen Stellungsabschnitt nordostwärts Ezere - südostwärts Kursisi. Im Anschluss nahm die Division an der 3. - 6. Kurlandschlacht teil. Bis zum 8. Mai wurde die dabei in den Raum Frauenburg zurückgedrängt. Hier kapitulierte am 8. Mai 1945 die Division.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliederungen/Infanteriedivisionen/329ID-R.htm

Sorry for quoting a German text, to the non-German speakers!

Not sure if that would fit, but it seems like these were the only larger units that reeinforced the 329th ID in 1944. Could be possible. Another thing you could to is using your grandpas Feldpostnummer (field post id) to find out about his service records.
http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Suche.htm

I haven´t done it myself but at some point in the near future I´d like to use the WASts service to find out more about both of my grandfathers service records (though I already found out quite a lot about what they did).

And so he spoke, and so he spoke, that lord of Castamere,
But now the rains weep o'er his hall, with no one there to hear.
Yes now the rains weep o'er his hall,
and not a soul to hear.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #11861 on: 10-02-2014, 16:02:17 »
Thanks a lot for your tips & research. I will look for the Feldpostnummer. I remember that he wrote that it changed in between by the way, most likely when he was moved to 329. But I know for sure that both of the numbers are there. I'm pretty sure that he was part of the Heer before as well and not in the Luftwaffe, but I can't say with certainty. Next time I visit my grandma I'll study everything in detail and gather as much information as I can.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11862 on: 11-02-2014, 05:02:23 »

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11863 on: 11-02-2014, 17:02:12 »

French people of Italian origin during rifle training, 1944. French Volunteers formed the 3rd Company "Volontari di Francia", of Battalion "Fulmine", Xª Flottiglia MAS of the Italian Social Republic.

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11864 on: 11-02-2014, 23:02:28 »