Author Topic: FH2 Historical Accuracy : Ingame VS Real life Pictures  (Read 89513 times)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: Why I love so much FH2 ?
« Reply #75 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:50 »
Armored Furry

That just cracks me up so terribly.

Well the map is well liked and that counts for much.

The map is well liked because:

1. Natty's theory about level design, EA applies it, and FH2 revamps it.
2. The only "bright light" late war map with fighters, heavy tanks, on both sides, come together. This make the map a complete one.
3. One of few maps that stays true to original Battlefield game concept. (multiple roles, combined land & air aspects, strategic points)
4. We believe too much on FH2's historical accuracy without doing our own research.

Try to make some "less historically accurate" map with this idea, I'm sure we're all gonna forget the accuracy thingy and started enjoying it anyway.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:00 »
I'm sure we're all gonna forget the accuracy thingy and started enjoying it anyway.

Never.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
Re: FH2 Historical Accuracy : Ingame VS Real life Pictures
« Reply #77 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:24 »
So do you have any griefs for Totalize flippy?

How about Ramelle and Aberdeen? :P

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:21 »
Obviously a map doesn't have to be historically accurate to be fun. However, as you can see int his thread, mappers who know what they are doing can make a map fun and reasonably accurate.

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:28 »
Armored Furry

That just cracks me up so terribly.

Well the map is well liked and that counts for much.

The map is well liked because:

2. The only "bright light" late war map with fighters, heavy tanks, on both sides, come together. This make the map a complete one.
3. One of few maps that stays true to original Battlefield game concept. (multiple roles, combined land & air aspects, strategic points)
4. We believe too much on FH2's historical accuracy without doing our own research.

Try to make some "less historically accurate" map with this idea, I'm sure we're all gonna forget the accuracy thingy and started enjoying it anyway.

you think being bombed by the Luftwaffe in a sherman and strafed in a M10 Achilles is something acceptable?

The German armour should be air-raped by the Allied forces but they'll find their way out like employing AA/hiding well and wait for good chance to use them rather than being a mobile bunker. That's it. The current balance tends to be unfavourable to the Canadians when there are fewer players(less than 40) as the Canadians need to use TD/planes to kill German tanks while the Germans could use any of their tanks to take out a column of advancing Canadian tanks. (A well played marder could ruin the day of many tankers, at least the first wave)

of course a good pilot in the typhoon is another story. But if the good pilot is in the German side then game is almost over for the Canadians. They'll have to fight the tigers with firefly and M10 one on one.

Historical accuracy is something that makes sense, that fits the popular stories of WWII, frankly, even the fictional Ramelle Neuville makes more sense than this operation totalize... (i.e. Tigers epic-pwning but get bombed to shit by planes)

(gameplay is not bad on totalize it just don't make sense)
« Last Edit: 28-08-2011, 19:08:54 by General_Henry »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 28-08-2011, 19:08:43 »
So do you have any griefs for Totalize flippy?

How about Ramelle and Aberdeen? :P

I do for all of the ones you mentioned but the griefs vary from level by level basis.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 28-08-2011, 20:08:52 »
Uuuuhhhh, that Pont du hoc bunker is in FH2, on Pont du Hoc.... :P

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #82 on: 29-08-2011, 08:08:22 »
@ Hans Werner

can i copy some pics to a german Forum?

Yes of course ;)

thank you, nice work :-)

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 29-08-2011, 08:08:32 »

what "theory"? Levedesign is a highly practical job. I dont "theorize" in anything.
also, I didnt make totalize, Fenring did. By adapting one of the best heightmaps that DICE has done. We could never create such a perfect heightmap for tank battle, it's ingenious, it's forged to support tankbattle, while many of our realistic maps are static, and we try to make the fights support the maps.

Two very different approaches to making maps. Both can lead to great results, both can fall on their asses. It all depends on how observative you are to problems. A realistic map can fail horribly in gameplay if it sticks too much to realism, a made-up map can fail too much in bringing a "story" or "purpose" to players who expects both of that, and more.

Personally I think Totalize can provide epic moments, but the moments dont belong to any larger context, so I don't get much out of playing the map, where as in Port-en-Bessin, I do. In Ramelle I do as well, because I know what context it puts me in. Crete is the same, allthough being a very unrealistic map (unless we pretend to be 100 feet giants), it has a compelling design and story attached to it.
« Last Edit: 29-08-2011, 08:08:10 by Natty »

Offline [QPS]_Sex_Bomb

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 31-08-2011, 18:08:43 »
Imho, map Totalize feels wrong for the simple fact that no river was crossed by allies in this particular operation.

On the other hand, another operation, "Epsom", better match the setup of the FH2 map.  The British operation was a tank offensive crossing odon river to take highground (hill 112) that really looks like the "artillery battery" in totalize map. 

You can compare by yourself

Offline Hans Werner

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 01-09-2011, 13:09:16 »
Imho, map Totalize feels wrong for the simple fact that no river was crossed by allies in this particular operation.

On the other hand, another operation, "Epsom", better match the setup of the FH2 map.  The British operation was a tank offensive crossing odon river to take highground (hill 112) that really looks like the "artillery battery" in totalize map. 

You can compare by yourself

I have lots of real pictures of Hill 112 if you want ;))) It's in middle of nowhere in a Normand field !!!

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 01-09-2011, 14:09:52 »
I have the feeling that Sex Bomb wanted to link to a pic on a site which doesn't allow hotlinking  :P

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
« Reply #87 on: 07-09-2011, 01:09:51 »
Still we have to find a map more accurate then Giarbub. Not only buildings are exactly the same, nearly everything fits into the historical layouts!
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 07-09-2011, 01:09:14 »
Still we have to find a map more accurate then Giarbub. Not only buildings are exactly the same, nearly everything fits into the historical layouts!
infantry boot camp  ?? XD

Offline LHeureux

• View Profile
« Reply #89 on: 07-09-2011, 11:09:21 »
Wow totalize is like 1:1 Armored Furry map! Never saw this  :-[
Hey, huge ass .gif signatures are totally unnecessary and obnoxious. Not these anymore, thankyouverymany kkbyethx love you, all the homo. -Flippy