Author Topic: Save a bunker!  (Read 1554 times)

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
Save a bunker!
« on: 01-01-2011, 16:01:37 »

I pulled this off another site, but I thought that this would be a good place to put it.

Anyway, according to one of my friends on Face Book, a WWII bunker is to be destroyed to make way for a modern apartment building. Now, I know everything in the world cannot be saved, and it may do no good to sign the petition at all. However, it can't hurt.

http://bunkermuseumdenhaag.nl/petitie/petitie.php

Please sign it guys,
arisaka

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
Re: Save a bunker!
« Reply #1 on: 01-01-2011, 18:01:53 »
Haha, Google Translate FAIL! :

But will do! And will visit soon, Den Haag isn't that far away, even for dutch standards.  :)

FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-01-2011, 18:01:40 »
That's funny, I've been there plenty of times, never noticed there was a bunker. Well hidden  :D
Now an apartment looking out over the sea, that I would like.

Let me sign this before I get skinned alive.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01-01-2011, 18:01:42 »
In Soviet Russia bunker saves you!

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
  • In Alliance with "Lumberjack Cammandos"....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02-01-2011, 21:01:40 »
What a shame; the idea of doing such a crime is Preposterous! Does historical significance have any meaning to people these days, or is it all about the money?!  >:( Money comes and goes, people come and go, but history stays until it is deleted, which then it never comes back again....
« Last Edit: 02-01-2011, 21:01:01 by Oddball »

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-01-2011, 02:01:03 »
What a shame; the idea of doing such a crime is Preposterous! Does historical significance have any meaning to people these days, or is it all about the money?!  >:( Money comes and goes, people come and go, but history stays until it is deleted, which then it never comes back again....

You're right, Oddball. We really should stop demolishing things that have any historical interest. While we are at it, stop throwing out pocket trash, somebody wants to collect that.

Also, preposterous is not a proper noun, not sure why you capitalized it other than you just learned how to spell it and are using it in situations that aren't quite appropriate for its usage.
Break your picks and crack your spades! Dig deep if you want to live!

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 03-01-2011, 03:01:05 »

You're right, Oddball. We really should stop demolishing things that have any historical interest. While we are at it, stop throwing out pocket trash, somebody wants to collect that.

Also, preposterous is not a proper noun, not sure why you capitalized it other than you just learned how to spell it and are using it in situations that aren't quite appropriate for its usage.
Alright, what's up your ass grammar nazi? Unless you see a Justified reason for demolishing a Significant historical Structure for an apartment complex? Pocket Trash isn't in any way historically important... a collection is different Than a historical piece.

Preposterous was capitalized to express the severity of the circumstance, so yes.... that is an appropraite usage for it.

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03-01-2011, 04:01:04 »

Alright, what's up your ass grammar nazi? Unless you see a Justified reason for demolishing a Significant historical Structure for an apartment complex? Pocket Trash isn't in any way historically important... a collection is different Than a historical piece.

Preposterous was capitalized to express the severity of the circumstance, so yes.... that is an appropraite usage for it.

No need to bring profanity into this. I am being a grammar nazi because you are trying to sound intelligent by using big words that you can't use correctly.

Pocket trash IS historically important. As is all trash. Just because it is not pretty and interesting to you, does not mean it is garbage. You want we should save everything? Not demolish any buildings? Or just the ones you like?

If you want to emphasize a word, use it correctly. The whole point of big words is so you use them in specific circumstances.

If you were to say "The idea that a cheap apartment complex has more value to society than a historical landmark is preposterous" It would be a more correct use of the word. If you wish to emphasize a word, underlining the word, or writing in bold or in ALL CAPS. Capitalizing a word is something you do to proper nouns.
« Last Edit: 03-01-2011, 04:01:02 by Kading »

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03-01-2011, 04:01:31 »

No need to bring profanity into this. I am being a grammar nazi because you are trying to sound intelligent by using big words that you can't use correctly.

Pocket trash IS historically important. As is all trash. Just because it is not pretty and interesting to you, does not mean it is garbage. You want we should save everything? Not demolish any buildings? Or just the ones you like?

If you want to emphasize a word, use it correctly. The whole point of big words is so you use them in specific circumstances.

If you were to say "The idea that a cheap apartment complex has more value to society than a historical landmark is preposterous" It would be a more correct use of the word. If you wish to emphasize a word, underlining the word, or writing in bold or in ALL CAPS. Capitalizing a word is something you do to proper nouns.
I wouldn't hop on my case; because obviously you have no idea what your're talking about. Since you believe I am trying to use "big words" intentionally - I'll keep this simple. The word was indeed used correctly as it is an adjective properly describing a noun.

The idea of using a capital letter to emphasize a statement/word is rather minor detail with no significance in itself... weak argument. People - including famous authors - using different and unique styles of expressing their literature; so such way would not be incorrect, maybe not norm, but also not wrong.

Your poor example of pocket trash has no validity to it, still. Unless you improperly used the noun: trash.
It's definition: Anything worthless, useless, or discarded; rubbish.
Want to explain how that has any historical importance? Unlike WW2 bunkers, it doesn't. Unless you want to deny WW2 was a significant historical event - it's not only important to me. Which also makes it not any ordinary bunker, which you mentioned about any building, which would be blowing what I said way out of proportion.

Now, how about we knock it off with this pointless argument and give ariska99 back his thread?

Signed, by the way...
« Last Edit: 03-01-2011, 04:01:12 by Oddball »

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03-01-2011, 05:01:17 »
If you will remember high school literature class, you will know that people such as e. e. cummings do not even use capitol letters in their works, so saying famous authors do it is not a valid argument either.

But you are right, enough about grammar.

My point of view is you can't save every bunker from every war. Apartment buildings need to be built because people need somewhere to live. Your outrage in this area is unfounded.

Your poor example of pocket trash has no validity to it, still. Unless you improperly used the noun: trash.
Want to explain how that has any historical importance? Unlike WW2 bunkers, it doesn't. Unless you want to deny WW2 was a significant historical event - it's not only important to me. Which also makes it not any ordinary bunker, which you mentioned about any building, which would be blowing what I said way out of proportion.

If you can't be bothered to understand how trash is relevant to historical studies than I am done talking to you. Garbage piles are our main source of information on daily life of most of our history. You focus on labels too much, Oddball.

Offline Oddball

• Positive Wave Director
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03-01-2011, 05:01:45 »
If you will remember high school literature class, you will know that people such as e. e. cummings do not even use capitol letters in their works, so saying famous authors do it is not a valid argument either.

But you are right, enough about grammar.

My point of view is you can't save every bunker from every war. Apartment buildings need to be built because people need somewhere to live. Your outrage in this area is unfounded.

If you can't be bothered to understand how trash is relevant to historical studies than I am done talking to you. Garbage piles are our main source of information on daily life of most of our history. You focus on labels too much, Oddball.

No, you can't save every bunker... but this IS probably one of the most significant events of the 20th Century, it has its importance. I'm sure there are other places these apartments could be built, there are thousands of empty homes, building lots with rotting homes, unused space which has already been developed. No need to go and disturb raw, historical land while there is already appropriate land for such. As I have deeply expressed before, overpopulation is going to destroy us...

As far as archealogy goes and other such studies of the past; yes, I realize they dig through certain trash disposal sites -but they're looking for a bit more than pocket trash. As far as that goes, it's all speculation anyways which most of the time they spit out as facts nevertheless.
« Last Edit: 03-01-2011, 05:01:57 by Oddball »

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03-01-2011, 05:01:17 »

Following your logic I should destroy the omaha bunkers as well.

Offline Pascucci the Whiner

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03-01-2011, 05:01:06 »
Kading, shut up and stop acting so arrogant. Yes your English looks pretty and we can all see that.

Offline Kading

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03-01-2011, 05:01:45 »
You are right, they are looking for more than pocket trash. They are looking for butchered animal bones, broken combs, buttons, sewing supplies, etc. All of these items give a view into what happened in history.
Calling what we learn from that "speculation" is going a bit far.

What can we learn from this bunker that hasn't already been learned? It seems it is YOU who is the collector. Granted, I like having lots of historical sites. But we must also move forward and create new history.

I also agree with you on overpopulation, though I'm sure the next big war will sort that out.

PS
Yustax, you are trying to get me to either abandon my viewpoint or say that all historical sites are free game; this is not going to happen. You should know better than that, and save your "gotcha" questions for a political argument you are losing. You don't have to agree with me, but you don't get to go around villainizing people to support your opinion.

PPS
My English looks pretty because it is correct. ;)

Offline Yustax

• German bias forevah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-01-2011, 06:01:11 »
Yustax, you are trying to get me to either abandon my viewpoint or say that all historical sites are free game; this is not going to happen. You should know better than that, and save your "gotcha" questions for a political argument you are losing. You don't have to agree with me, but you don't get to go around villainizing people to support your opinion.

My English looks pretty because it is correct. ;)

Thats your statement, following your logic again, I should make room destroying monuments, historical sites too for constructing apartment buildings to make room for new history.

And really grammar nazis are called like that, not for being correct but for being idiotic and annoying correcting everyone. This is the internet, if someone wants to talk L33T they can, dont correct them it just makes look stupid even if you are correct.