Author Topic: FH 2.5 First Impressions  (Read 6975 times)

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
Re: FH 2.5 First Impressions
« Reply #30 on: 14-02-2016, 15:02:44 »
The PPSh-41 has hilariously "thick" sound, it's almost like I'd imagine a .50 cal machine gun (and the FX guys in action movies seem to agree with me). I was wondering how much of the muzzle energy actually went to producing the sound instead of propelling the bullet, and whether the bullets were just a side effect and the main purpose of the weapon was actually just to intimidate with its sound.

Then I read the Wikipedia article and apparently, Sledge Hammer would approve of this weapon since it has a built-in "loudener" -- ie. the barrel jacket sides are drilled open to act as a primitive muzzle brake, which considerably increases the sound it produces but does little to dampen recoil as it should have.

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14-02-2016, 17:02:15 »
Might have to go back to the game's own AA. When I started 2.5 the first time, I had forgotten to force AA from ATI drivers and in-game AA was turned off, and then I seemingly had the old suppression effect. Now, I am back to the "recommended" way of forcing AA from drivers (not in-game menu) and no suppression in sight (pun intended).

Suppression is part of the game, no?  Essentially you are cheating.

Offline Kuupperi

• Professional spoilsport
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14-02-2016, 18:02:07 »
I've been playing this new version since its release and I'm quite happy for the most part. However there's one thing that is quite disappointing and that's spotting for artillery. I don't know if it's intentional but spotting has become less accurate. Your spot doesn't always go where you point it and I can remember 2.48 didn't have this problem. Now it's about spamming the spot until you get it right (if you're lucky enough).

Overall it's a good release and I haven't seen that many radical drawbacks.

EDIT: I noticed the binoculars have "bullet drop" and you need to aim higher at longer ranges which is different compared to old "point & spot" way. So maybe there's no problem after all it's just behaving differently?
« Last Edit: 14-02-2016, 19:02:44 by Kuupperi »

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 14-02-2016, 21:02:18 »
Might have to go back to the game's own AA. When I started 2.5 the first time, I had forgotten to force AA from ATI drivers and in-game AA was turned off, and then I seemingly had the old suppression effect. Now, I am back to the "recommended" way of forcing AA from drivers (not in-game menu) and no suppression in sight (pun intended).
Suppression is part of the game, no?  Essentially you are cheating.
Things may have changed, but way back when the devs actually officially advised not to use in-game antialiasing, but to turn it off and force antialiasing from graphics card drivers, which I have done ever since, except when I forget to turn this on.

Could we get an official ruling on this please?

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14-02-2016, 21:02:37 »
I've been playing this new version since its release and I'm quite happy for the most part. However there's one thing that is quite disappointing and that's spotting for artillery. I don't know if it's intentional but spotting has become less accurate. Your spot doesn't always go where you point it and I can remember 2.48 didn't have this problem. Now it's about spamming the spot until you get it right (if you're lucky enough).

EDIT: I noticed the binoculars have "bullet drop" and you need to aim higher at longer ranges which is different compared to old "point & spot" way. So maybe there's no problem after all it's just behaving differently?

Yes, I'm looking into this immediately!

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #35 on: 14-02-2016, 21:02:25 »
The PPSh-41 has hilariously "thick" sound, it's almost like I'd imagine a .50 cal machine gun (and the FX guys in action movies seem to agree with me).

Christ. The new sounds in this mod. Don't get me started ! That's it Kelmola its all about exaggeration. Exaggeration of muzzle flash. Exaggeration of sound just like in the movies where (I think) they use blanks with extra powder in to get that huge muzzle flash. But, anyway this is realistic FH so that could be overdone, and is'nt here. The PPSH-41 is my favourite as well. I think I first saw this in the film "Cross of Iron". This thing feels DANGEROUS and heavy, and whoever modelled it is a genius. The PPS-42; Sound is PERFECT again and the muzzle smoke and effects modelling is top class. DP-28; sound is gloriously "thick" again. Seriously, I think some FPS addicts playing other games should be forced to sit down and play this game and maybe they'd finally "get it" ya know  ::) ?

So I could go on and on about the weapons and tanks, but thing I noticed is the detailed textures in the statics (on Arad) and overall attention to detail, graphic design, art direction has made all the colours work along with everything else. Man, I love the Ruskies  ;D

Offline Kuupperi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14-02-2016, 21:02:58 »

I wouldn't say this is a problem but it took me some time to realize how spotting works now. I was used to the old "point & spot" but when we had this there wasn't the "breathing" aspect (like when you watch through the binoculars you see the scale moving up and down even if standing still). Because the scale is moving (and not steady as it used to be in 2.48), "point & spot" might not work anyway.

This new method has made spotting just a little more challenging but not impossible. Maybe it wasn't meant to work this way but after finding out the way it works I haven't had a problem with it.

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 15-02-2016, 10:02:54 »
It's amazing how far you can stretch the engine... Once again hats off to you, FH2 team. I love you guys.

Offline Oberst

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15-02-2016, 10:02:51 »

I wouldn't say this is a problem but it took me some time to realize how spotting works now. I was used to the old "point & spot" but when we had this there wasn't the "breathing" aspect (like when you watch through the binoculars you see the scale moving up and down even if standing still). Because the scale is moving (and not steady as it used to be in 2.48), "point & spot" might not work anyway.

This new method has made spotting just a little more challenging but not impossible. Maybe it wasn't meant to work this way but after finding out the way it works I haven't had a problem with it.

But you can still check on the map, where your spot appeared?

Offline Kuupperi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15-02-2016, 16:02:41 »
But you can still check on the map, where your spot appeared?

True and I always check where the spot is landing on the map. When I didn't know how spotting works in this current version my spots weren't even close to my target (I spotted the same way I used to do in 2.48) and in the worst cases it landed only half way from the target. After I found out the new way it works I've managed to make very accurate spots again.

Offline Not So Civil Engy

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 19-02-2016, 14:02:48 »
I like all the new maps, but I think Sammatus needs artillery for the Russians.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 20-02-2016, 01:02:54 »
Awsome new animation and sound for BMW 37!! Bravo Gavrant and HabridV! We could get more of this on maps! They are so fun to play :D
Also would be nice some allied motorbike
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 20-02-2016, 03:02:29 »
Miss being able to spin around with the 30 cal but thats minor.  So for 2.5(1) is great.

Offline Hauggy

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 20-02-2016, 03:02:25 »
It would be great to have the Volksturm weapons on the smallers layers of Seelow, I couldn't find any on 32 or 48 player layer. :(
Also I feel like Pegasus could need extra grenades in the kits.

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 20-02-2016, 17:02:17 »
Miss being able to spin around with the 30 cal but thats minor.  So for 2.5(1) is great.

You still can, they just changed the mechanic: you now have to keep turning the gun left or right moving your mouse, same as static AT guns. I just wish it had height adjustment as well.

What I miss is the .30 at Ingouf Farm on PHL. Used to be there before but now it seems it doesn't spawn there anymore. Why remove it? Sure, there's still one spawning at the 4th bridge, but lugging that thing all the way to the frontline that's now half the map away? So not a viable option, especially since the .30 is such an inferior MG already. What would truly be great - a spawnable .30 MG kit. I believe paras used that over BAR's anyway, unless they scavenged it from gliders or something. Please?