Author Topic: FH2.4 First Immpressions  (Read 24418 times)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: FH2.4 First Immpressions
« Reply #105 on: 16-07-2011, 16:07:42 »
First impression of playing 2.4 on release

Loved the installation support manual. Installed 2.4, set graphics from cont. panel and played with everything working smoothly. You made this step easier!

Started playing on Forgotten Honor server with a ping of 65ms. What first hits you is the improved sounds and graphics. Damn! First map played was Eppeldorf. I spent a couple of minutes just running aroung the allied main base just listening and admiring. Time for some combat...death crys, bullets hitting flesh, bombs exploding, mortar shells whistling down to their explosive deaths, people dying around me. For the very first time in history Bf2 is portraying War in real life! That's how I felt! Good job devs. A real good job!
Loved the new spark and particle effect when tanks explode. Loved the new explosions (esp grenade explos) LOVED the new shaders. Finally my shaders are working as they were meant to do. Thank you!

I was saying to the others in all-chat that the pictures released on the website were nothing compared to what we saw while playing!!

Unfortunatley, I was dying too much (since I was really tired yesterday  :-[ and reflex were slow) started dying right left and centre and decided to just start admiring changes. Started Sfakia on Single player and I must say that it looks BEAUTIFUL! Always loved Sfakia but the new under / overgrowth makes it look closer to real life Crete.

That was my first experience with 2.4 and I loved every second. Devs you should be proud of this baby as it screams awesomeness!

I was not going to this, but seeing that under my avatar I wrote "Bullet magnet" I will paste the proof in my signature  ;)
« Last Edit: 16-07-2011, 16:07:29 by Raziel »

Offline kingtiger1891

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 16-07-2011, 17:07:36 »
Like:

Great sound effects.
Better image.
Removal of special AP.
Angle system, though there's apparently some bug in it, at least it's a good start.
The tweak of planes is really good too.
New maps and vehicles.

Dislike:

Turret, blocking traverse speed doesn't equals to making it slide and adding delay, that's a very bad solution.
Top armor problem is solved, but cupola issue still exist, cupola of pzIII,StugIV,Panther,Tiger,KT is still a weak spot. As I predicted several months ago, Jumbo can shoot Panther's cupola from the front while its armor is immune to Panther hit.
2pdr can damage pzIII,pzIV to the front now, this won't make NA balance any better.
M36 HVAP one shot KT to the front, even the glacis plate?
« Last Edit: 16-07-2011, 17:07:21 by kingtiger1891 »

Offline Roden

• Make war not love
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 16-07-2011, 17:07:09 »
Only got time to play an hour with DLF on the PZDF (something) server, the map was meuse
so far i like i start enjoying tanking again, feelt great driving the 76 sherman in a small town with friendly infantry advancin toward the flag area while i provide smoke/He/mg-armour support

love that you see all the explosions now, aswell improved the sound/gfx even looked/sounded great on my 5+ old pc :)

Offline Stevo

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 16-07-2011, 20:07:08 »
The team did an amazing job with the mod. The maps are incredible.

Every aspect of the game is of high quality.

I purchased dozens of games on steam during the summer sale and I still play this mod. =)

Offline Excavus

• Member of the FH2 Cynic Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 16-07-2011, 20:07:54 »
I would totally wear my awards signature if I existed.
What name do you use for BF2?
Same as my forum name. I was playing on WaW and WOLF yesterday with some other FH2 devs such as Azreal and FatJoe.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 16-07-2011, 20:07:41 »
Those 2 servers had problem with transmitting the information. I played the best game in my life on wolf yesterday and nothing was save  :P It's discouraging ^^

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 16-07-2011, 22:07:46 »
I probably need to retract the degree of my first post - I played a session online it plays excellent.

The sound - 'Works'. Explosions increase immersion alot, tank cannons are interesting, as is the distant sounds of gunfire - And in fact, I may even come to appreciate the lack of tracers for most mgs... it does make maps like the Hurtgen Forest very intense when an mg gunner opens up and you need to figure out where he is firing from.

But I do wish to know, perhaps if VonMudra could answer this, or someone doing more than just guessing, is this a better representation of tracer distribution with mgs, or less so.

For the sound,
I do feel with the kind of game FH2 is demands a more gritty, less gamey sound scheme to make it really pop. But like I said, the current sound 'works' - and more so than in 2.3, since many unchanged ones have been beefed up. Still, I totally do hate the Browning .30 cal and thompson sound though...

Also, I wish tanks and especially the 88 also get shell whizz in the future

Over all, Fh2 continues on its march to bring solid gameplay and pains-taking-quality and no one sensible can ever retract from that :)

Updated score: 7.5/10
« Last Edit: 16-07-2011, 22:07:37 by djinn »

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 16-07-2011, 22:07:40 »
Those 2 servers had problem with transmitting the information. I played the best game in my life on wolf yesterday and nothing was save  :P It's discouraging ^^

You statswhore. ^^
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 16-07-2011, 22:07:54 »
A proud one :)

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 16-07-2011, 22:07:39 »
I knew it. ;)
Anyhow, your sig is too big try adding the following code:
Code: [Select]
[table]
[tr][td]
Stats Picture
[/td][/tr]
[tr]
Rad's Teddy
[/td][/tr]
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline therenas

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 16-07-2011, 23:07:56 »
Like:

Removal of special AP.

Special AP ammo is still in there, just not on most tanks, and if its there, its usually only 2 or 3 shells...

Still, I totally do hate the Browning .30 cal and thompson sound though...

Well I don't know the real sounds, but I do believe the devs when they say they are accurate... and regarding that, everyone must live with that. War isn't always pretty... shapes were defined by needs and functionality. Sounds were only important if you wanted to silence them... apart from that war can be pretty ugly and even sound really bad...
Furthermore you cannot please everyone... so I think its best, if they stick to reality as close as possible.

Offline Secondawakening

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 17-07-2011, 01:07:45 »
I must say the devs did an awesome job!
The foilage (esp the trees) is awe-some!
Tanks and aircraft are harder to master, but i like it.

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #117 on: 17-07-2011, 02:07:28 »
feel free to give feedback on the "Feedback"-Topics in the forum. We add the new sections Bulge and Germany.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 17-07-2011, 04:07:31 »
The battle of Hürtgen Forest is just awesome and epic. So much immersion! Though, a couple of more faust's would have done the trick. The germs got slaughtered on the blue flag when the american tanks came. Overall this patch raised the mod from 10/10 to 11/10! Can't wait to wake up tomorrow and play some more! Too bad humans need sleep. 4 am in Norway now :(

EDIT: LORD REJOICE, I love that we got 60m fausts with sights! Makes it much more effective!
« Last Edit: 17-07-2011, 04:07:43 by Hjaldrgud »

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline [F|H]Uffeh_SWE

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 17-07-2011, 04:07:25 »
Absolutely fantastic job on level design and art. I'm quite blown away by the visual quality and I'm also very happy that the maps are less choke-pointy and that you give the players more area to move in. The forrests are absolutely brilliant.
The new physics for planes also feels like a huge step up.

I like the shader effect on desert maps too, you really bringing life to this old engine.

Game play wise it's better than before, still not my cup of tea though.
I guess bolt actions suffer from BF2 hit boxes.
PS. Also I would've like to see less distant fog..

« Last Edit: 17-07-2011, 04:07:05 by [F|H]Uffeh_SWE »