Author Topic: Petition for DICE to Open Source Battlefield 2  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Musti

• View Profile
Re: Petition for DICE to Open Source Battlefield 2
« Reply #15 on: 22-08-2013, 23:08:49 »
Its never too late for FH3 and showing everyone how proper WWII shooter is done :D.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22-08-2013, 23:08:45 »
Its never too late for FH3 and showing everyone how proper WWII shooter is done :D.

This.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23-08-2013, 01:08:23 »
And that is why it boggles me why some FH2 devs would go work on some new mod with retarded name, and not start parallel development/porting of a much better brand name that would be FH3.
Please cut the insults Ug. If you keep doing this, there might not be much more people joining the F|H wednesday game nights, only a selected few will. Keep doing what you do, but keep your publicity a little better, then more people might join FH2> F|H game nights. ;)

The name Traction Wars originated from a steampunk alternate reality realism game for Battlefield 2142.
That project was shelved and moved onto a WWII game (things drastically changed).
Full article >http://www.tractionwars.com/content/113-about/182-history.html

The name yes, is a bit odd (quite personally I grew fond of the name after a bit, Traction Wars...), but I have never met a nicer community, and there is never people who takes pot shots at users there.
The animators (Chad509), modelers, mappers, military advisors (Fuchs and Mudra) could not be much greater. Even down to General Naga who encouraged this game, to push further in a realistic WW2 game that we have been waiting for so long.

I would want FH3 to come, but it might not happen (although I would like it to come), if FH3 would go into development process I say now, but indeed FH2 is taking the time now (which is fine, I enjoy fh2 ;)).

Peace.. :)
« Last Edit: 23-08-2013, 01:08:47 by Roughbeak »

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23-08-2013, 04:08:29 »
I guess that's why they are making Traction Wars. ;)
And that is why it boggles me why some FH2 devs would go work on some new mod with retarded name, and not start parallel development/porting of a much better brand name that would be FH3.

I think the most humorous idea that I *repeatedly* see on this forum, is telling the Fh2 devs to just port there stuff to a new engine and BAM - new game. Its so much more then that, I don't think anyone who isn't a developer can really understand (those who do, won't suggest such sillyness), and if you know nothing about an enigne like Cry Engine 3, your double screwed. As beautiful as Fh2 is, I can predict a very large amount of FH2 content would likely not hold up well on such an engine for numerous reasons (least wise without some maaajor overhauling and reworking).

Also Traction Wars is a game, not mod.

About the petition - I think its a good idea and worth a try, but I do not think EA cares :P Although I am surpised by the amount of signatures! I signed it nonetheless.

Offline theUg

• View Profile
    • http://theUg’s sump
« Reply #19 on: 23-08-2013, 09:08:31 »
I apologize if I sounded harsh, but it is my opinion, and a valid one, in my opinion (he-he). It’s just poor marketing. If you completely switch the focus of the game, why not switch the name? Likewise, Invasion 1944 is a bad name, because it limits the possibilities right off the bat.

And that is why FH is a better brand, because it is established, because it makes sense, and because it is broad enough to do virtually anything WW II (imagine Continuation War in Invasion 1944). That said, the FH does not aim itself squarely into realism (it is no vanilla, but no PR or ARMA either, and that, by the way, why Arma engine is not viable, in my opinion), so not to say that realism mod or game should not be developed.

As for developing FH3, no one said it was going to be easy, but if you never start, it’s never going to get done, and I, unlike some, think that it still has potential. One of the core elements of that potential is the brand, and the work already done (see, for instance, what Chad is doing sharing his expertise across games and engines — things are different, but asset recycling (such as code) is one of the fundamental tenets of the development). It would be shame to let the name, and the work in maps and models go to waste.

I appreciate what FH developers has done immensely. If all the development ceased right now, and the game was left as it is, I would still be happy with the quality product that it is, with all its imperfections (although it would probably die, being online game, sooner, rather than later). Developers do do something right if the mod survived for seven years or so, and more if you count the FH1. And the fact that it is the only game I am playing consistently for four years straight, should count for something.

But there are things they could do better. The concerns raised in another topics here do have some footing. Communication is lacking, both in updates, and to responding to the community publicly or privately. We, the community, understand that resources are limited, and for a lot of work FH is simply lacking manpower, unlike PR with its throng of devs which allows them to to work on three different engines and two mini-mods to boot. But FH did not help in many ways to expand that workforce.

I understand their commitment to quality, but there is a lot of heavy lifting and dirty work that can be done, such as helping with forums (Why there are so many support topics in a “General” section?), or those of us with relevant skills could help with such menial tasks such as bug hunting in the code. I cannot speak for everyone, but I had written repeatedly to several developers and forum administrators with offers of any help I could give, and I did not once get a courtesy of even “Get stuffed, we don’t need your stinking help”. I am sure many people would volunteer their time with arduous unrewarding tasks just to free the team to work on the fun stuff, but they seem to have repeatedly ignored that resource.

P. S. Roughbeak, stop repeatedly make it about 762 v. the world. This kind of attitude is precisely why there are many people who avoid playing on 762 altogether, and the mod suffers for it, not solely 762, F|H, WaW or VBIOS communities separately (we’ve already lost Wolf and hslan).
« Last Edit: 23-08-2013, 09:08:07 by theUg »

I don’t know, but I’ve been told
Shooting things is gettin’ old
Hug a child and plant a tree
Show some hospitality

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23-08-2013, 12:08:56 »
Instead of whining about FH3 and funny names, why not give some support to the bold developers of Traction Wars who decided to get their hands dirty and step up and get WWII shooters into the next generation gaming.

FH might be a brand, but it will remain just that after FH2. A brand that used to be famous for its quality and that slowly died away, unless of course a miracle happens.

...Better to go down as a mod team that made a great and successful mod focused on historical accuracy for Battlefield 1942 and later Battlefield 2 than one that tried and then failed to deliver what the fans expected.

If the devs don't feel ready to commit to such a massive amount of work that would be starting almost from scratch we can''t be here to judge them. After all, they do all this for free, on behalf of their own great kindness and passion.
« Last Edit: 23-08-2013, 12:08:52 by LuckyOne »
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-08-2013, 15:08:38 »
@theUg: I did not mean anything by that statement. ;)

What I like about Traction Wars (unlike Festung Europa), it could possibly do all fronts instead of just europe.
The models with TW is cranking out is really awesome! Tanks, weapons, vehicles, anything. Even down to their soundtracks are very well done.
The realism factor for TW is like no1 to them. :)