Author Topic: Mt. Olympus  (Read 2497 times)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
Mt. Olympus
« on: 04-05-2010, 15:05:51 »
Not much to say about this one...tried the 16 version twice and it crashed less than a minute after spawning both times. And both times it crashed, it was immediately after I'd fired my rifle (the Lee Enfield).

@Remick04: I haven't tried Totalize yet, but if you plan on re-pathmapping it to stop the bots getting stuck, there's some screenshots of places they get stuck (and there's half a dozen or so) here: http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14737

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Re: Mt. Olympus
« Reply #1 on: 04-05-2010, 18:05:58 »
I personally loved how that castle was pathmapped... not sure about the building itself *hint, hint, nudge, nudge* but its nice the cap area wasn't simply extended to the outside

What I would say for all the maps is that there are clearly a few lines that can be traversed so you note alot of vehicles moving in straight lines, which is cool in some areas like beaten paths, but sucks when tanks start Tking and doesn't help attack formations when under fire. Infantry seem not to really have this issue though.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05-05-2010, 00:05:17 »
Mt. Olympus was a last minute addition. Due to the size of the map and the number of objects on it, the generation of the navmesh took longer than I was expecting (roughly 2 days). I wasn't sure I was going to include it with the first pack because I wouldn't have any time to go through and edit it. But when it finished I was impressed with how well the navmesh was generated. So I did some basic clean-up and added it to the pack since I really wanted to have 3 maps in the pack, and figured you guys could help me find the trouble areas quicker then I could alone. But at the moment it’s really rough.

I was particularly happy with the castle too because I was afraid I was going to have to do the whole thing by hand. But it did a good-job covering every corner. Except for the central tower, which is at the top of my priority list with this map. There are also a few buildings in the city that need to be navmeshed by hand, but not as much as I feared.

I'll do what I can for now, and try and get you a better more playable version as soon as possible.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05-05-2010, 18:05:43 »
Tried this map for the first time today (in co-op since I couldn't get the 64-player version to start from the SP menu) - got a CTD within 5-10 minutes. I'm a bit surprised by this since I thought all of the North Africa/Greece vehicles and weapons were CTD-free by now, but there are actually quite a few vehicle variants only used on the Greece maps, so there may be an error in one of these.

The only observation on the map I could make in the brief time I played it was that neither side seemed very aggressive, mostly staying around their 2 starting CPs. I'll try adding a strategies.ai to see if this helps.

Also, I think the info\mount_olympus.desc file needs to be edited to get the 32 and 64 versions working, as well as adding the sp2 and sp3 folders.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06-05-2010, 02:05:35 »
I think I've found the culprit for the CTD on the 64 player version... there's a train tucked away in one of the allied starting points. I stumbled across it yesterday, and entered to get the CTD... I checked the navmesh and it is in an area when bots will go for it so I'd assume this is the reason. I know you've fixed the train Ai issues so if you’re still getting a CTD with the train fix then I don't know what it is. The 16 player version gets a quick CTD also which is odd since there are no vehicles, and the weapons are all used on other maps. But it might have something to do with the lack of an AI strategy for the 16 player version.

I've been working on the strategy.ai files for all three maps, and I've fixed the folder issue and .desc for Mount Olympus, it works fine from the Singleplayer menu now. I haven’t had a chance to play much today to see what affects my changes are having (been busy making sure the castle and city are fully navmeshed). But I will make sure all 3 maps are in full working condition before I post an update  ;)

Offline Devilman

• I belong to Naughty Club
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06-05-2010, 04:05:07 »
I downloaded the latest SP mod,and this map pack
you say the train has been fixed,but i cant see any train files in the mod
when i entered the train,i got this error message

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06-05-2010, 04:05:40 »
I just gave the train the humvee AI template,and all is sweeeeeeeet
the passengers already had AI code,from the rib boats ?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-05-2010, 15:05:33 »
I've got Winterhilfs fix for the choo-choo and I've only CTD once out of 5 rounds.

I tried the 32 version, but it CTD after a couple of minutes.

@Devilman: My train files have AI templates from the Marder I and the rib boat...

LOL...is that a Hind I see?

Thanks again for 'meshing this map Remick, I can't stop playing it because at the start all the planes take off and head straight for one another, resulting in some great dogfights...

Best example?...Second round I spawn at the German airfield and grab a 109. I follow the other 109 towards the Kiwi airfield and arrive as the last plane is leaving the runway. A dogfight between the 5 of us ensues with bullets flying everywhere and me frantically wheeling around trying to avoid getting hit. One less Kiwi pilot and three near misses later, ones that were so bloody close I could've stuck my arm out the window and touched the other plane, I line up a Spitfire and let rip. As I start shooting at him, I realize he's shooting at my wingman and the other Spitfire is up my ass shooting at me!  ;D

Then the two in front of me went down almost simultaneously and the fun was over.

It didn't last long, maybe 20-30 seconds between arriving at the Kiwi airfield and the 4 plane conga-line breaking up, but that was the best multiple plane-on-plane action I've seen since I last played Clivewil's Daqing Airwar map... 8)

Enough talk, I have to go and play Olympus again...

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-05-2010, 21:05:50 »
I have to say I'm quite impressed with Mount Olympus. I mainly created the navmesh for it to get it out of the way, since it was a large map and figured it would take some time. But man did I underestimate the potential epicness of this map. Between the dogfights raging overhead, the tanks battles in the fields and the close quarter firefights in the city streets and the castle (especially now that I've got the bots navigating the central tower) it's hard not to just sit back and just take it all in.

I temporarily removed the train to test if it was the cause of the CTD and I haven't had it crash on me yet, (though I haven’t done too much testing.) I have given the 16 player version a proper AI strategy, and haven’t gotten a crash their either. Though the 16 player version has a problem. The combat area is set up to prevent the allies from leaving the castle, but the bots don't realize this so as soon as the bullets start flying they charge out of the castle and die from leaving the combat area. Usually resulting in the allies losing all their tickets... not sure what I can do about this. I haven’t had a CTD on the 32 player version, but I'll look into it.

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08-05-2010, 20:05:08 »
It looks like the aircraft are the source of the CTD in the 64-player version, for me at least. With all the planes disabled (add "rem" before the ObjectTemplate.setObjectTemplate lines) the map runs fine. With any of the aircraft enabled (I've tried disabling + enabling them in various combinations) it will inevitably CTD sooner or later.
Don't know why this is, since all the planes (and AA guns) in this map occur in other SP maps that don't CTD.

I temporarily removed the train to test if it was the cause of the CTD and I haven't had it crash on me yet, (though I haven’t done too much testing.)

The train definitely isn't the cause of the problem (for me at least), I've now fixed the CTD related to this vehicle (and seen bots use it) and the map will still CTD with the train disabled and aircraft enabled.
Have you made any modifications to the aircraft locations/setup on the map since you released it?

Hopefully a solution can be found sooner or later, as this really is one of the best SP maps for air combat!

One more aircraft-related comment, I've noticed that they frequently cause TKs on this map by mowing down bots crossing the runway! At the start of the game you often get 4-5 TKs each side from this. This is partly because so many bots spawn at the airfield CPs, far more than are needed to fly the planes. Disabling the planes seems to discourage bots from spawning there, so it looks like the vehicles at a CP/spawnpoint influence whether bots choose to spawn at them.

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 08-05-2010, 23:05:08 »
Hmmm... That’s strange. The only changes to objects I've made on this map since the release is the removal of the train for testing purposes. I haven’t made any adjustments to the planes yet, though I was going to see what I can do about the planes teamkilling on takeoff. I have adjusted the strategies for all sizes on this map and changed the temperatures of the bases. Fewer bots now spawn at the airfields, still enough to get a teamkill or 2 but it's not as bad as it was before. I played several rounds on all three sizes in both singleplayer and co-op yesterday and got no CTD with any size. It's possible I inadvertently fixes something when adjusting the strategies.

I plan on releasing an update for these 3 maps either tomorrow or Monday depending on what I get done today. I'm going to leave the positions of the aircrafts on Mount Olympus alone for now, in case there is an issue with it I don't want to make it worse, or lose track of what the issue could be by making too many changes.

On an unrelated note... I saw a bot climbing a ladder yesterday on Mount Olympus. He didn't climb it completely. My guess he was trying to move forward and the ladder was in his way. But he would climb up it about 3 ft. then back down and get off, only to repeat this 4 or 5 times before changing direction. Makes me wonder if it’s possible to get bots to climb a ladder simply by creating a navmesh up it.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-05-2010, 00:05:11 »
It was the case in fh1, although it was said that ladders arent even coded to be used by bots. Clearly, a fact you've disproved. Climbing will only be useful in pursuin human players. But i say that's use enough.

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 09-05-2010, 01:05:09 »
  Makes me wonder if it’s possible to get bots to climb a ladder simply by creating a navmesh up it.

Climbing up,unfortunately not
climbing down has been achieved by Clivewil,with some very clever navmeshing and thinking
bots will climb up ladders for a few short seconds,but are hardcoded to jump off

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=12798&hl=ladders

http://www.battlefieldsingleplayer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3579&hl=ladder

Offline Devilman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 09-05-2010, 01:05:12 »

@Devilman: My train files have AI templates from the Marder I and the rib boat...

LOL...is that a Hind I see?

A Hind,dont be rediculous,they didnt have Hinds back in those days  ;)

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09-05-2010, 13:05:49 »
...I plan on releasing an update for these 3 maps either tomorrow or Monday...
Before you do, can you stop the bots using one of the spawnpoints at the Monastery? It's in the NE corner, in a room on the second floor accessible only by a ladder.

I got ambushed a few times by a handful of bots that were trapped up there.

Asides from that and the odd case of gridlock at the town gates, the map still works fine for me.