Author Topic: FH Lightmapping advice?  (Read 3001 times)

Offline Citadel

• View Profile
Re: FH Lightmapping advice?
« Reply #15 on: 27-05-2009, 05:05:08 »
The editor does not lightmap SF objects because you do not (I'm assuming) have the lightmap samples for those objects. However, when you export your custom objects into the BF2 editor, 3ds Max creates a lightmap sample for you to be used by the editor for lightmapping.

:D

I see, well don't I feel stupid. I was not aware that making samples was so easy. Do I make this happen by checking "Custom Lightmap UVs" while exporting? and would I set the drop down menu to 2024 or Auto or another size.
« Last Edit: 27-05-2009, 05:05:50 by Citadel »

azreal

« Reply #16 on: 27-05-2009, 12:05:00 »
No see what you are looking at is the dialog box for lightmapping in 3ds max. There is a completely different process that is done when exporting a custom object, and if you do it right, 3ds max automatically creates the lightmap sample for you.

Offline Lobo

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27-05-2009, 16:05:38 »
No, don't check that box unless you want to define how you want the lightmap (that's an unwrap in the channel 9, if I am not wrong), the exporter will do automatically for you.

Decide the size of the lightmap, in that rollout (with 256 in your image)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27-05-2009, 17:05:46 »
dont use to big samples. its represent the size of the texture the game store the Shadows on. More Bigger samples mean more Texture load for your map.

some examples:

a woodenlog :8-16
a bench: 32
a wheel: 32
a closed hut 128
a small house open 256
a medium house open 512
a medium house closed 256
a big house like a church 1024
a Big Shipwreck

so far i never!!!!! NEVER used 2048.

if you have long parts in your model it might be good to cut it inthe middle. so the exporter can make smaller parts of it.

you choose better a too small as a to big one, since the exporter make the samples automatic bigger when he have probems to make all pieces fit on the size.

Offline Knoffhoff

• Developer
  • Vorstopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 07-09-2009, 23:09:29 »
Goodwood 100% editor  ;)