Author Topic: Operation Abstention [WIP]  (Read 4908 times)

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Operation Abstention [WIP]
« on: 18-07-2009, 07:07:05 »
Hey there guys.

First of all, dont mention "and your last map?" dont do it :)

Well, i've started a new project, Operation Abstention.

Operation Abstention was a raid made by the UK and Australia (These guys are in all the battles!) in the Island of Kastelorizo, eastern Aegean Sea. The Target was to Seize the Island and use it as an Advanced Base to challenge the Italian control over the Dodecanese Islands. The Allies made this desition because the italians were treating the UK Shipping, making several Air Raids using Hit & Run tactic.

The Invasion was supported by various ships, the HMS Decoy and HMS Hereward were transporting the assault team, while the cruisers HMAS Perth and HMS Bonaventure would protect them.

The Commandos quiclky overruned the Italian garrison, before the last bunch of italian Soldiers were captured or killed, they sent an alarm to Rhodes, one of the Italian main bases in the Eastern Mediterranean.

Now the real combat starts, the Italians are angry, they want their island back and NOW. They sent bombers to bomb the main Commandos positions, the Harbour, the Castle and the Hills. The Italians sent 120 Men to the islands, aboard some Gun Boats. A British destroyer, the HMS Hereward Joined the Battle, warned by the Commandos of the Increasing Italian naval activity.

The Commandos had to retreat, more Italians ships where leaving and coming back whit more destroyers.

The Commandos finally reembarcked in the Ships and went home, 40 men where left behind.

Now, this is the real story, this is some kind of What IF scenario.

Now, the game story is the Next.

Having succesfully captured Kastelorizo, the Italians sent an invasion force to retake the islands.

The Alexandria HQ Says the commandos have to leave the island, but the Italians will not let them go. They sunk 2 British Warships and prevents such Evacuation. Now, the Commandos are surrounded by the Italian Navy.

On February 26, at 13:41 Hours, the Italians secures 3 Beach heads. 2 in the South and one in the East* and Brings Armor*º.

One British Destroyer arrives and supports the Defense.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok thats the end of the Introduction.

Welcome to the FAQ.

Uncle Torenico... what is this? we are learning history or we are going to play?.

You're doing both, the map will concentrate in the island of Kastelorizo, not far from the Coast of Turkey.

Good, so we expect Tanks?

I dont know yet, its something i would like to decide. Tanks dindt showed up for that Battle, but it would good if the Axis could get one tank per beachead. Now, i wont give them any PzIV or a Tiger, this battle takes place in 1941, and most of the tanks where in North Africa. So the Italians couldnt get any M13/40, but maybe, maybe, a L6/40.

Why the L6/40?

Because is not uber kill, its weak, it doesnt have HE ammo.. it may be useless.

Then why did you add it?

Because the Italians needs some support, the Brits can Basecamp easily. The L6 can defend the beaches better than Infantry.

Sounds good, but in the introdution, you mentioned one British Destroyer......

Yes i did, in real life the British had some Cruisers and Destroyers in the Area, so why not only one?.. sadly, the FH2 Destroyer looks Incompleted, i doubt it has HE Ammo so it wont be uber killing machine, i dunno, i may not add, community has the answer!.

Now, you must have a picture of the map in your brain.. it would look like..?

Crete, it would be similar to crete. Whit some green areas, deserted ones, a village whit a Dock, a big hill whit a Monastery and many hills.

Why a "What If" Scenario, why not continuing Battle of the Camps?

A What if scenario doesnt kill puppies or kittiets, sometimes they are fun. I can say, theres 2 kind of What If scenarios. One is the Uber Invasion of Crete, whit Tigers Panthers and E-100, other is the little battle, like, what happend if the Allies have won in Singapore, what happens if US Invaded Hainan.. Hong Kong, Taiwan, if Australia invaded Rhodes...

And about BC (battle of the camps), i think im giving up. I dont know, minimap just sucks, italians are pathetic in that map, i was doing some Lightmap when the editor crashed during save etc. I may continue if you guys want it...

Ok i understand the frustation, shit happens man. Well, why did you come whit this map? i mean, why did you picked Abstention?.

Its in interesting battle, people usually ignores the actions in the Aegean Sea, and games too. This could be an Important battle, if the commandos managed to defend the island, im pretty sure an Airbase would be built there, and that would be a big headache for the Italians, now the have to use their Regia Aeronautica to defend Rhodes, an important base in the Mediterranean.

Well, have you started it?.

Yes i've started, well actually, i started it a few months ago. I made the Island 75% Accurate, it was good actually. But somthing happend and save crashed, i wont make that mistake anymore.

I will be Following this man.

Thanks dude.

End of FAQ.

Flags.

Italians

Beachead Blue.
5 Spawnpoints.

Beachead Red.
5 Spawnpoints.

Beachhead Yellow.
5 Spawnpoints.
L6/40 (?)

British

Commando HQ.
6 Spawnpoints.

Harbour.
5 Spawnpoints

Monastery.
4 Spawnpoints

Bunkers.
3 Spawnpoints

Airfield.
4 Spawnpoints

Radio Station.
3 Spawnpoints

Thats all for today, i will start taking pics of the Map as soon as possible.

Peace dudes.

Any Suggestions? you're welcome!
« Last Edit: 19-07-2009, 00:07:15 by torenico »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
Re: Operation Abstention [WIP]
« Reply #1 on: 19-07-2009, 00:07:29 »
Lets talk about the map:

Hey guys!

Im just here to tell you that i've started the Terrain and the Island.

I was thinking... it would be "cool" if the UK gets a destroyer and the Italians the Uboat. Who knows.

Ok, many of you wonder what is the island of Kastelorizo, well its located in the Mediterranean, not far from Turkey, South East of the Aegean Sea. Here we have a pic of it.

Im 80% that airbase dindt existed during the Raid, i think it was built after the war. Maybe i will delete the flag called Airbase, its useless.

Well i have no pics for now, im making the island whit my hands, making piece per piece. Unfortunely, i cant see how good/bad the island looks like. For Example, the minimap button in the Editor is broken. Actually, when making realistic maps, its extremly needed, so you can make tweaks etc.

No matter wich button i press (Show, Reload etc) it just crashes, and it wont open Dump folder. Uh.. i may reinstall windows tomorrow.. but i would appreacite an answer.

The Map will be pretty big, if i include the Submarine and the Destroyer, then the island will be more smaller, limiting tactics. Im not sure if the Sub will make it in, its not finished and i dont think theres a way to destroy exept when its on the surface, theres no deep crages yet and if it goes underwater, you better run or you will get killed really fast.

1024x512 if i remember correctly.

The italians will have the same weapons as always...

The Brits now, will have their Early equipment, No1 etc.

This map will prepare me a little bit for the upcoming challenge, Op Queen for Normandy.

Thats all for all, oh and i am fixing the stupid grammar errors in the first post, embarrasing  ::)

Cya soon

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor Tournament
« Reply #2 on: 19-07-2009, 03:07:42 »
Something I must say before I say anything. Never plan the assets before you actaully have the map. Then you tend to edit the map around the specific asset(s).

This area though looks like it has great potential to work from so good luck mate and try to have fun :D .

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 19-07-2009, 04:07:20 »
Deek is right. Especially in a mod w/ as many assests as FH2, you will find that a map will change a lot based on how gameplay actually turns out.

"1024x512"
lol...never heard of a map that big, you mean 1024x1? Can't wait to see some pics!

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-07-2009, 04:07:15 »
Deek is right. Especially in a mod w/ as many assests as FH2, you will find that a map will change a lot based on how gameplay actually turns out.

"1024x512"
lol...never heard of a map that big, you mean 1024x1? Can't wait to see some pics!

Hmm, im a little noob whit these things, 1024x256 or something, hehe laugh.

I will post some pics, i need to get the minimap button fixed.

Thanks deek ;) will keep an eye on that

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-07-2009, 12:07:05 »
I think he is telling us the low resolution instead of the scale.
« Last Edit: 19-07-2009, 21:07:26 by Deek_101 »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-07-2009, 00:07:40 »
Here we go, first pics.

The map acutally, is deserted, i've done the entire island, looks acuratte IMO.

Heres the Eastern Coast, basically, cliffs.

Map will be rainy, no rain.. BUT! i've found a PR minimod called Combined Arms. In one map they made rain, it was just particles. And light rain.

Im pretty sure i heard some FH2 Dev saying "We have a map whit rain in Normandy".. well, time will say.

Feedback will be appreciated.

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-07-2009, 00:07:47 »
Good work so can you show a minimap or overview picture(disable fog and change editor view distance(Not in-game view distance)?

Theres a tutorial on rain by Trahnlee on bfeditor.org
« Last Edit: 20-07-2009, 00:07:14 by Deek_101 »

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20-07-2009, 00:07:12 »
Well an overview picture would be a bit confusing, and the minimap button is broken atm. I've installed BF2 tpaint and i've tested it in a map, dunno whats going on but now its not working.

When i press Refresh/View on the bar, it just crashes. Ill see what happens if i open the Dump Folder.

Right now im starting the Town/Habour, you can compare it whit Sfakia, will be very similar.

Offline Neri

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25-07-2009, 04:07:08 »
Any news torenico? by the way, did you received my last message with suggestions about the 16,32 and 64 game modes?

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25-07-2009, 04:07:35 »
Yup i saw them, and no, little progress, i dindt had a good day so i think i wont open the Editor... pretty stupid i know.

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-07-2009, 21:07:18 »
Texturing the terrain cheers me up sometimes when I'm pissed at something/someone :D .

Offline Torenico

• Masterspammer
  • ¡Viva la Revolución!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-07-2009, 01:07:43 »
I have done the terrain, added water, crashes when i select Envmap, im sick of crashes.

Also i lack on Crete Statics, 75% of them are "Temple Wall"... damn.

I dunno, but the terrain is done, and i have played whit their Settings, Planemap (?) and that stuff..

Also, the Rock of the Cliffs looks far better than before..

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #13 on: 01-08-2009, 09:08:07 »
i wait for more pics

and why you limited the Spawns to max. 5?

work on, and lets see some stuff  ;D

Offline Neri

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20-08-2009, 02:08:50 »
torenico, any news on this map?

show us some pics!