Author Topic: I cant install BF2 Editor  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
I cant install BF2 Editor
« on: 10-08-2014, 12:08:11 »
I downloaded it started and it said Can install only on Win XP?What to do
« Last Edit: 10-08-2014, 20:08:02 by Ivancic1941 »
Floppy Wardisc or Floppy Wierdbear

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: I cant install BF2 Editor
« Reply #1 on: 10-08-2014, 23:08:06 »
Hello, the BF Editor aswell as BF2.exe are win32 executables, but they also work with Win7 64 bit. My advice is to start with a few tutorials to get it going and to get a basic understanding how it works:

1st read through Fenrings tutorial. If you follow it step by step you can't fail:
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/

It also gives some good explainations how the editor works. If you want to get the exact terrain from google earth I can do that for you, though doing it on your own will give you an idea how heightmaps and the terrain in general work in BF2 and you will learn something.

This link should give you all needed files that you need and some more information:
http://fhpubforum.warumdarum.de/index.php?topic=1804.0

That's it for now. If you have some further questions just drop in and ask.

« Last Edit: 11-08-2014, 00:08:44 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-08-2014, 11:08:45 »
Do i need all that things from 2.47 mapping files(from that 2nd link)
   Python
   Lightmap samples
   Undergrowth files
   BF2 editor mamory fix
   Forgotten hope 2 debugger
   FH2 modified editor shaders

And can you go in suggestions/One YugoslavNDH map and there you can see last picture,can you say what size should be that map(i supose something like Bagstogne or bigger)
« Last Edit: 11-08-2014, 12:08:26 by Ivancic1941 »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-08-2014, 15:08:44 »
You need the Lightmap samples, the Memory fix can be valuable if the editor crashes often on your machince and you need the editor shaders. You don't need Python neccessarily but it helps packing the map with the python script instead of doing it manualy. So you should get that stuff aswell.

Your terrain and map size:
I would go with the standard map size when making a new map, so 2x512 is the right scale. With this scale you get a map of 1kmx1km what is the size of basicly all official FH2 maps. It is also better to go for a smaller map size, especialy when it is your first mapping effort. I don't want to demotivate you, but even with that relatively small map size you will propably need more than half a year to finish the map. That is if you want to do it right and tbh a quite optimistic guess as you will learn things on the fly and make mistakes from time to time.

Btw: http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f189-modding-tutorials/69889-how-make-awesome-maps-dem-geo2-image-heavy.html

This tutorial explains you how to get the terrain from google earth into your editor. You can model it by hand in theory in the editor, but it is difficult and the google earth approach gives the best results from my POV. Keep in mind that you need some space for your heightmapprimary and the surrounding terrain and that you need to scale it down to make it fit your map. But this is also explained in Fenrings tutorial about heightmaps and I would suggest you to read it carefully. Better read it five times to fully understand it, because otherwise you run into trouble right from the start.

http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/heightmaps.php

If you don't have Photoshop you can also use GIMP.
« Last Edit: 11-08-2014, 15:08:34 by 5hitm4k3r »

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-08-2014, 19:08:53 »
That python just to download lates version(please give link)?

And when i entered Editor first time all that files needed to load.Then i exit editor and always when i entering editor all that files needs to load again.I saw some videos and there when they enter Editor everything is loaded.Help? ???

And when i make new project(terrain mode) and make grid level i click space to look around and cant get out of that free look?
« Last Edit: 11-08-2014, 20:08:06 by Ivancic1941 »

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-08-2014, 20:08:06 »
As I said, please read the instructions in the links that I gave you carefully and really follow them step by step. The links are all there and if you do all things as explained it should work:
https://www.python.org/download/

Also make sure that you unzip all the neccessary folders as described in Fenrings tutorial:
http://forgottenhope.warumdarum.de/tutorials/index.php

Btw, the best location to install your editor is in your BF2 directory.

Offline Mudzin

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-08-2014, 21:08:32 »
And when i entered Editor first time all that files needed to load.Then i exit editor and always when i entering editor all that files needs to load again.I saw some videos and there when they enter Editor everything is loaded.Help? ???

I think that's how it is normally or is there something that i don't know about?

And when i make new project(terrain mode) and make grid level i click space to look around and cant get out of that free look?

Hitting spacebar again should help, no?

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-08-2014, 21:08:38 »
I try to hit space again but it comes that i can only low and get up terrain and cant get out,..

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-08-2014, 21:08:55 »
Esc key is yur friend  ;)

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11-08-2014, 21:08:10 »
HA,ha nice and thanks for instructions.I will ask on this topic if i needed something more 5hitm4k3r

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-08-2014, 11:08:10 »
I need new links for lightmap samples.That Fenrigs are outdated

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-08-2014, 12:08:20 »
I don't know whether I can share a link for the most up to date samples, so I rather wait for one of the devs to give you a link. Some of the statics won't lightmap correctly with the last published lightmap samples anyway.

Offline Harmonikater

• FH-Betatester
  • Resident Crazy Composer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-08-2014, 12:08:50 »
If you're missing specific samples, you can create them yourselves with BfMeshView (made by one of the devs)

Or you can avoid sample files altogether by lightmapping your statics in 3dsmax.
I do bad things to the BF2 engine.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-08-2014, 14:08:25 »
Ivancic is new to modding so I suspect that he doesn't own 3DSmax nor that he knows how to work with it. Besides that, there are some statics that have issues with the faces, wich got fixed in the internal build for a reason. So when the statics are bugged you won't get that far with BF2meshview.

Offline Ivancic1941

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27-08-2014, 15:08:26 »
Are statics important to have??

And in editor when i want to put flag i can only see Britian and german flag and other not?? Why

When i want to make in Editor/Level editor that level setting(on right side) you cant make them.A lot of that squares are empty and cant be populated.
IF you can help