Author Topic: Purple Heart Lane: Testing  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
Purple Heart Lane: Testing
« on: 21-07-2010, 18:07:41 »
First two tests on PHL
Settings:
Ai aggressiveness set to 1.0
No of bots: 20 each side

(Noticed an error in the message display saying: teamSPs ERROR when dealing with Orchard axis 5,6,7,8,9) It's displayed throughout the game.

Test A
Played as Axis
Not in a Squad

Tickets
600 - 800
Allies reach Ticket 757: Flak Gun Manned
583 - 729 (Lost Bridge No.3 )
567 - 645 (Lost Causeway)
566 - 630 (Flak gun starts firing continuously)
563 - 599 (Lost Bridge No.4 but recaptured it)
Few seconds later CTD

Test B
Played as Allies + No Squad + Stopwatched

Tickets
771 - 587 (Flak begins to fire)
756 - 586 (Bridge No 3 Captured) [3m43s]
706 - 575 (Attack on Causeway) [6m 6s]
685 - 573 (Causeway Captured) [6m54s]
638 - 565 (Nebel starts firing) [10m 5s]
613 - 559 (Bridge No 4 Captured) [11m 52s]
578 - 553 (Flak fired by allied) [14m 9s]
542 - 542 (Mortar fired by Axis [15m 39s]
525 - 536 (Position FJR6 Captured) [17m 50s]
516 - 518 (Ingou Farm Captured) [20m 46s]
511 - 472 (Mg42 emplacement near Farm manned by Axis (looping sound) [23m 46s]
478 - 308 (Battle continues near Crossroad) [33m 49s till 46m 17s Sector E2 - E3]
438 - 90 (Ingou Farm greyed but recaptured) [47m 33s]
418 - 0 (Battle end - Allies Win)

???  The problem with PHL gets more intricate  >:(

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Heart Lane: Testing
« Reply #1 on: 22-07-2010, 14:07:42 »
I will ask our new SP dude to look at it.. the TeamSP bugs is easy to fix. thanks for this report :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22-07-2010, 14:07:18 »
Actually this is not from the Stock Purple Heart Lane, but as a bug that occurs when Drawde's mod is put on top of FH2... With the hope of Drawde's mod contents making it into stock Fh2, we need to find this bug

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22-07-2010, 17:07:00 »
Djinn did Purple Heart Lane crash before we applied Drawde's patch?....I can't say coz I never played it as single player.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22-07-2010, 18:07:50 »
It didnt. Try removing the patch and play with the complete stock map if you still have it backed up somewhere.

« Last Edit: 23-07-2010, 11:07:09 by djinn »

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-07-2010, 16:07:49 »
Will try it later on. Off to the beach  8)

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-07-2010, 19:07:45 »
Is it the map AI mod/patch which causes the CTD, or is it the AI minimod itself? (i.e does the CTD occur if you're running the AI mod but
are using the original, unpatched map file)

If it's the AI minimod rather than the map patch, presumably the problem is a weapon or object which only occurs in this map - but I can't think of any offhand.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-07-2010, 21:07:34 »
Its definitely the mod. It was CTDing from the 1.3 Beta 1 of your mod, before you got map files done

Offline Drawde

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-08-2010, 13:08:36 »
If it's the mod, not the map, that's causing the problem, some suggestions for narrowing down the cause of the CTD:

- Try disabling AITweakVehicles.zip in serverarchives.com (add "rem " to the beginning of the line"); if this fixes the CTD, the cause is a static weapon like the Nebelwerfer or 88 (not a mortar or MG)
- Alternatively, disable AITweakWeapons.zip, if the game no longer CTDs then the cause is either a hand weapon or a stationary mortar/MG.

If AITweakWeapons.zip is the cause (likely) you can narrow it down further if you have any experience working with archive files: unpack the zip, remove either the Emplaced or Handheld folder (move them to a temporary folder somewhere else) and re-pack it. This will tell you if the cause is a hand weapon or stationary emplaced weapon.
You can narrow things down even more by removing individual weapon folders but this is a very slow + tedious job, only do it if you suspect a particular type of weapon (e.g grenade) is the cause.

Running FH2 in windowed mode helps a lot - this way you can start up the map and have it running in the background whilst working on something else, there's no need to actually play the game to test it unless the CTD cause involves something that bots can't do, like pickup kits or deploying weapons  (doesn't seem like this is the case here)

This is more or less how I tracked down previous similar CTDs. Don't have time at the minute to do lots of testing like this or I'd do it myself, may try later this week if I have time and nobody else has made any progress.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01-08-2010, 17:08:20 »
Thanks for the hints and tips Drawde...will start testing again...keep you posted

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-08-2010, 10:08:31 »
Been busy of late, so I've only tried it once, but I got through the whole round without a CTD (using AITweaks1.3beta2 and MapTweaks1.0)... :-\

Took the first three flags and...well...that's where we were stopped in our tracks by Fritz. Between the Nebelwerfer and the two static MG42's, just getting off the bridge and into the field was an achievement in itself... :o

It wasn't until one of the bots got on the mortar and started pounding the Nebel base that we actually made it across the field and capped it, only held it for a minute before they took it back and resumed raping us with the MG's... :P

Didn't notice any bots use the mortar west of road.

***EDIT***
Bummer dude, that first one must've been a lucky round...I've tried it 4 more times and every time it has CTD before we were able to take the third flag. Usually happens a few minutes after taking the second flag.

FWIW, the 88 and Granatewerfer were pounding the crap out of us at the time.
« Last Edit: 08-08-2010, 08:08:55 by cannonfodder »

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09-08-2010, 11:08:51 »
Bummer dude, that first one must've been a lucky round...I've tried it 4 more times and every time it has CTD before we were able to take the third flag. Usually happens a few minutes after taking the second flag.
FWIW, the 88 and Granatewerfer were pounding the crap out of us at the time.

8)  ....I don't have much free time right now. Hopefully will restart testing soon

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-09-2010, 23:09:48 »
So this is what we know, playing as Americans (I din't have the patience to play as Germans and wait for the Americans to finally catch up), we cap the first line defense with the mg position easily, although there is great lag once we engage enemy troops at the flag, a fact clearly not present in the stock map

Question, could this be a change in spawn numbers brought about by Drawde having got bots spawning more defensively and less randomly?

Once this flag is capped, German bots are more likely to use the mg defending the road, cap this base and the 88 lets loose, along with both mgs at the 3rd flag.

CTD may occur anytime from a number of seconds to right after capping the 88 gun.

Activities occuring at that time include:
/mad charge by US paras on either side of the road and along the road with smgs, carbine, rifles, grendes and LMGs
/Scattered German defense from the mg on the far left to the 88 on the far right with small arms, bolt action rifles, LMG and smg
/2 mg42s creating a kiling zone arcing from almost along the left edge to the road
/88 gun firing as far as the 2nd flag and hedgrows (and slightly beyond) defended by a few Germans in that area and behind the hedgrow there
/Nebelwerfer fire firing as far as the open field infront of the 88
/Mortar fire from behind the 88

We might want to start broader than i stated in the other thread:
First off, disable Drawde weaponstweak as he suggested, see if that works, then do the same for vehicles

Lets see which stops the crash, then we can narrow it down

Hop to it people!

Offline Remick04

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-09-2010, 22:09:06 »
Is it only the 64 player size that causes the crashes or are other sizes crashing? Also we can try fooling around with the bot ratio, setting more bots to one team versus the other, see if that helps narrow down which team is causing the crash. It's possible the crash is being caused be the attackers trying to use a weapon against the defenders, But if the defenders aren't dug in they don't end up using the weapon and the maps plays fine. I just can't think of a single weapon in use on this map that isn't also used on other maps that work fine.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 17-09-2010, 23:09:58 »
Guys! Please, please, rally to see if we can fix this for 2.3. I cant do much since i dont have a pc, or indeed the net, beside that on my fon.

Im going to contact clivewil about officially approving the use of his stuka architecture to our devs