Author Topic: Forgotten Hope News Update: 15th July 2009: Falaise Pocket  (Read 39287 times)

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
Re: Forgotten Hope News Update: 15th July 2009: Falaise Pocket
« Reply #270 on: 24-07-2009, 22:07:58 »
Eastern Blitz was a true masterpiece of mapping, though. Wide open fields, urban combat and air superiority seamlessly blended together, and all using early war equipment. It gave the Poles a map worthy of representing their campaign.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: 26-07-2009, 11:07:40 »
Alright, back from Côte d'Azur  ;)

Great map, looks a bit more damped, which I like very much.

But, where is ze airfields? Or maybe you have spawnable lawn mowers which can make out runways in the meadows?

Perhaps this particular map is a bit tight for aeroplanes but can't see too many airfields on the other maps.

Otherwise fantastic.
« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 11:07:09 by Tiny »

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: 26-07-2009, 14:07:44 »
Well, there are none so... though crap.

btw: Update tonight?  :D

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #273 on: 26-07-2009, 14:07:23 »
The map is not that large and it's already intense as infantry/tank so why add planes? Would end up flying above the German main killing all tanks and raping infantry on the ground.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: 26-07-2009, 15:07:34 »
The map is not that large and it's already intense as infantry/tank so why add planes? Would end up flying above the German main killing all tanks and raping infantry on the ground.

Something bad about that?  ;D Except ofcourse it would be FW's strafing the brits.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: 26-07-2009, 15:07:15 »
Theres this thing called gameplay, ever heard of it? Seems that raping/camping can ruin it  :-\
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: 26-07-2009, 16:07:23 »
I wasn't very serious when I said that, anyways I was more referring to the other maps shown so far.

Offline ORPGryf

• Proud to be polish
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: 26-07-2009, 17:07:31 »
My good friend send my this pic. He said that it would help you all to understand why polish soldiers should be on that map:

And indeed. If germans will attack anybody on this map to break some defending lines it should be poles because of character of this map and the largeness of polish battle . You might think that I saying all that because of my nationality? Then check out this sources:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_pocket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_262
And according to valued military historian Gregor Dallas: "The Poles had closed the Falaise Pocket. The Poles had opened the gate to Paris." On the 20th anniversary of Falaise, former President Dwight D. Eisenhower, commented: "No other battlefield presented such a horrible sight of death, hell, and total destruction."
Besides that, famous historian Norman Davies always mentioning poles and their fetch is his books if he talking about Normandy. I just cant invent anything more to convict you. And I want to disrespect anything or anybody. If you'll would create map where canadians are the offensive side I'll agree with you. Jugde it by yourself.
Greetings for everybody ;)
« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 17:07:07 by ORPGryf »
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #278 on: 26-07-2009, 17:07:11 »
If you read the map description in the news update, it mentions that this map features the town of St. Lambert.  If you look at your map, you will see that this town is right on the very edge of the Canadian held part of the line.  The map does not show the gap which was closed by the Poles, but the Northern edge of the gap, which was held by the Canadians.

Offline Cin3k33

• Lobo`s younger sister
    • View Profile
    • eXavs
« Reply #279 on: 26-07-2009, 17:07:06 »
Putting Canadians in this map is not mistake, this map is about fighting for St.Lambert.

Mistake is calling it Falaise Pocket, as Gryf wrote "The Poles had closed the Falaise Pocket".
Battle near St.Lambert was not the most important fights in Falaise pocket.

I think we need new map: Battle for Mont Ormel / Hill 262

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_262
 http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitwa_o_Mont_Ormel

Antoni Stefaowicz, commander of defence in hill 262 said this in night 20/21 of August

"Gentlemen. Everything is lost. I do not believe [the] Canadians will manage to help us. We have only 110 men left, with 50 rounds per gun and 5 rounds per tank… Fight to the end! To surrender to the SS is senseless, you know it well. Gentlemen! Good luck – tonight, we will die for Poland and civilization. We will fight to the last platoon, to the last tank, then to the last man"

When canadian forces came to polish positions in hill 262, one soldier wrote this:

"View of Hill 262 was the most bleek which  our Regiment has had the opportunity to see. Poles for three days were deprived of any supply. They had hundreds of wounded who have not been evacuated. Approximately 700 prisoners were guarded on battlefield . The road was blocked of burned Polish and German vehicles. Everywhere were scattered unburried corpses and human remains... Poles cries when they saw us..."

This battle was the most important in history of 1Dp Gen. Maczka, for poles is like Battle for Brittain, Stalingrad, or other heroic battles. Polish community in FH2 is quite big according to Canadian, thats why are disappointed that there is no Polish battle in Normandy. Hope we will see it in relase after 2.2 ;).

« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 17:07:37 by Cin3k33 »

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:40 »
If you want a real map about Falaise Pocket you should have Canadians, Free French, Poles, Britons and Yanks vs Germans. And all the Germans would be hiding and trying to get out of the encirclement while the Allies wait at the edge of the map and let the Typhoons and other fighterbombers do the dirty job.

But thats not the case, this is just the breakthrough at St. Lambert. Sorry guys, no Poles on this map. But there is always hope!

Biiviz

« Reply #281 on: 26-07-2009, 20:07:23 »
But there is always hope!

Lightning, that's your cue!

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: 26-07-2009, 20:07:30 »
I am trying to create some hope, hope is so low last weeks that Lightning is almost starving, he needs another sacrifice!

Offline 508th PIR Hawkeye

• Pacific? :D
    • View Profile
    • www.508thpir.com
« Reply #283 on: 26-07-2009, 22:07:43 »
My good friend send my this pic. He said that it would help you all to understand why polish soldiers should be on that map

I think your there could be a way to just zoom in to that piece of battle, they must have fought hard because they had Germans in the back and in the front.. Especially from the back with those two SS divisions
"The American Paratrooper exists to give the  enemy soldier the best chance to die for his country." -- Gen. George Patton

Offline [F|H]Deek_101

• FH-Betatester
  • F|H Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Forgotten Honor Tournament
« Reply #284 on: 28-07-2009, 01:07:08 »
The 1st AD were fighting against reminants of those 2 ss panzer divisions IIRC. The Canadian closed the gap and linked up with the polish therefore it's the falaise pocket.