Author Topic: What Makes a Good Infantry Map?  (Read 11668 times)

Offline Smiles

• FH-Betatester
  • Boooo Auto-Spot! Booo
    • View Profile
Re: What Makes a Good Infantry Map?
« Reply #15 on: 11-10-2010, 13:10:18 »
Purely talking about "meat grinding" id say perfect mirror balancing.
I'm taking my own freedom
puttin' it in my song
singing loud and strong
proving all day long
I'm takin' my freedom
puttin' it in my stroll
I'll be hop-steppin' y'all
lettin' the joy unfold

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-10-2010, 14:10:16 »
First, vehicles. As many players point up rather rudely, "if you want to play an infantry-only map, play call of duty". Each infantry map needs : artillery support, at least one heavy vehicle spawning rarely, and some carriers and cars always available. PeB 64 is imo the perfect infantry map for Forgotten Hope, and Lebisey 16 the perfect mini-map.

Second, penetration. Shooting ennemies through their light shelter is awesome. I wish there were more of this, and this comes from an infantry man.

Oh, and third, more buildings to go inside. Fights in buildings are my favorites ;D

« Last Edit: 11-10-2010, 15:10:14 by Beaufort »

Offline phillip

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11-10-2010, 16:10:06 »
The occasional tank on an Infy map (Lebisay16, Luttich16, Brest) does not turn the map away from an Infantry map in my mind.  Maybe for the purists that want to show off their leet skillz, but a few tanks gives the infantry on the map a different objective to take out.  "There's a tank coming, we're pinned down get some AT guys"  Then coordinate to blow it up.  It's not tank on tank and more infantry squad vs infantry supported armor.  An objective to blow up in my mind similar to the cannons on PdH.

Either that or a 4/5 story house with way too many SMG and flamethrowers. :)  But I recall tanks on that map also. :)

Offline kummitus

• View Profile
    • CMP Gaming
« Reply #18 on: 11-10-2010, 17:10:58 »
Urban and heavily ruined terrain, lots and lots of sneaky ways to flags plus couple of major, a tank wont hurt at all, only at mines and satchels, no zooks. Little or no grenades or a rifle nade. some open place for snipers and sharphsooters. A mortar for each side to make possible block some enemy movement route but limited ammo so it wont get overused.
CMP Gaming

Offline Vernah

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11-10-2010, 18:10:17 »
For me it's:

-Buildings that you can garrison, fight in, and hold. My favorite part in the battlefield series is when you're holding that vital building that allows uber z0mg pwnage capabilities, and knowing that if your squad falls, the rest of the team will have to fall back as well

-MG nests that do work, I want to actually be challenged by an uber machine gun nest of doom instead of going "lol 1 sec lemme snipe him"

-Not too many explosions, I don't want to be looking at the spawn count too many times because of random arty shots and z0mg explosions

-Berlin Streets, that forest map in FH1 with Germany VS USSR was epic, etc

-For push maps, the goal should be to wtf slaughter and destroy the garrison. Brest for example once you get all the flags the Germans are screwed, instead of giving a bleed to Germans, make it the goal of the Americans to wipe out the rest of the German forces, otherwise we just camp and let the bleed take care of them.

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11-10-2010, 19:10:49 »
Infantry map need some underground battle. We need sewer network with capturable flag in it. One flag in the underground network and the other on the surface.

I think some map with 3 level will work great. Undeground, surface and on the top of some building :)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11-10-2010, 19:10:10 »
You forgot Purple Heart Lane, Pointe-du-Hoc, and Giarabub. Both are fantastic infantry maps.

There are many aspects of infantry combat that i love.

Oddly enough I would have to say tanks.   ;D  I would love an infantry map with two tanks thrown in scary environments that tanks hate.  Thick woods or closed in towns.  A smart tanker will make sure he has lil'blue arrows all around him.  One of my favorite maps that come to mind is Fall of Tobruk which has this setup.

^this! Nothing can't be complete just by shooting at meatbags. Working around tanks (sticking explosives, mining its path) is priceless when you see it works.

Now that we're talking, I would say that grenades, especially hand grenades, are an essential part of an infantry map.

And there's never enough flamethrowers ;D

^this too! Grenades and tanks make great maps, and don't forget flamethrowers. All of them made a great map like FH1's Pavlov house.

They don't cluster into one single spot, trying to survive by spraying moar and moar bullets at you, because you have grenade, and you still have a hope to turn the tide of the battle.

Other than those:
-Buildings that you can garrison, fight in, and hold. My favorite part in the battlefield series is when you're holding that vital building that allows uber z0mg pwnage capabilities, and knowing that if your squad falls, the rest of the team will have to fall back as well
Yeah! Buildings/bunkers/fortress that worth fighting for.
They say in Stalingrad, you got the living room, still gotta fight for the kitchen, give us reason to do so! Sidi Rezegh's Airfield HQ is a good example.

-Heights
They say terrain gives you an advantage, I wanna feel it! St. Lo's hill isn't just hilly enough.

-Scenic surroundings
I fancy good buildings, could get me killed, but hey, i like it.

-Town in the middle of big air/tank map
I particularly don't like town-fighting in Goodwood's Cagny or Mesra Matruh, although i love the map. But somehow FH2's Mediterranean town maps are different. Probably the town really give infantry an advantage over vehicles instead of being another landmark for cap-able flag. Op. Cobra's Hébécrevon is in between. I understand that some mappers try to make a tank battle-focused map by placing towns on the edge of the map, but IMO, it killed some of the fun. Villers-Bocage and Luettich is cool for me, the town is the centerpiece of the battle, while still letting some space for the tanks to fight outside it. The moderate popularity of both maps is probably due to the dark atmosphere of the map (for realism purpose, i know), if else, it would be as hip as Totalize.

Offline IrishReloaded

• Leader of Irishforce
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-10-2010, 20:10:15 »
I have a Dream - A Dream of a map like in Band Of Brothers when they attacked that little village from open fields!

Mix the lovely green map and its Hill 108 with its outstanding tranches of St Lo with a City that is 2 times bigger then Mortain.

First heavy trench fights- then fight for every house.
I want that almost every house is open so that in every window a german is waiting for the 18 year old yankee with has to run over open field with less cover to the first houses.

Make good usable trenches like at 108. give it at the end a mg nest that hast to be taken out. At the city give them 2 mgs at the houses, and maybe in one crossing in the middle make a "bunkered" schützenloch (foxhole) with good fire position. ( Center Flag)

The allied got one APC. One kit with normal nade and one with gewehrgranate(both limited) and BAR for covering fire.
The Germans give only k98 and mp40 - they got the advantage of the trencehs and houses..

Thats a map I would like to see- medium size, high realism!

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-10-2010, 23:10:00 »
Infantry map need some underground battle. We need sewer network with capturable flag in it. One flag in the underground network and the other on the surface.

I think some map with 3 level will work great. Undeground, surface and on the top of some building :)
Yes, this! Like Sidi HQ and Fall of Tobruk, where you can go underground from Mussolini Plaza to Town Centre and vv.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12-10-2010, 22:10:02 »
I think maps like Fall of Tobruk (my favourite), Anctoville (finally working with decent fps), Port en Bessin or Battle for Sfakia are great infantry maps. Good with these all maps are:

*Semi open battlefield with as many attack routes as there are attackers. No annoying choke points too much, they just kill all fun.

*Some tank support. It brings so much more when there is tank(s) on map like these, infantry must still be carefull. Tanks rarely become overpowered in maps like these, becouse there are no choke points where they could camp. There is always way to take these tanks out with just AT-nades or explosives (unlike in brest).

*Some APC's are also nice addition. They simply are not overpowered, but still provide to be usefull tools with good squad. I just love to see Hanomag being treated as if it was KT  ;D.

These types of maps have always been my favourites over full combined arms maps (Cobra, Goodwood, Alamein etc.).

Offline Alakazou

• FHer from the beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12-10-2010, 23:10:55 »

Yes, this! Like Sidi HQ and Fall of Tobruk, where you can go underground from Mussolini Plaza to Town Centre and vv.

We need MOAR, MOAR  ;D
And a MOAR complexe one :P
« Last Edit: 12-10-2010, 23:10:52 by Alakazou »

azreal

« Reply #26 on: 13-10-2010, 02:10:21 »
Not every map can have a sewer or bunker system ;)

Offline :| Hi

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13-10-2010, 02:10:50 »
32 v 32 PIATs  ;)

[2:06:54 PM] Tolga: cant use tha shit underwater -Tolga on the G3

Offline Martinlegend

• Tigerfear in FH2?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13-10-2010, 15:10:53 »
hm infantry maps

they should be Small (like brest)
- without tanks
- Flamethrowers
- No Big streets
- good Mg Positions
- "Geballte Ladungen" (not the 3kg thing) for Some kits (maybe for the pioniers - limited)
- 1-2 Grnades for the stomtroops and Rifle kits
- no Radios (the Radios on Brest are useless - without artillery)

azreal

« Reply #29 on: 13-10-2010, 18:10:22 »
What radios are you talking about? The commander table radio that's used to call in off-map artillery?