Author Topic: Mobile Artillery  (Read 3340 times)

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
Mobile Artillery
« on: 07-07-2010, 16:07:40 »
Yet another thread about this topic mainly because i hate resurrecting old ones.

So i downloaded this other mod yesterday night for BF2 called Point Of Existance.I got in a local server to try out all vehicles and i found out that they have mobile artillery system which i tell you works like a charm.

Vehicle is two manned
One guy is the driver the other the gunner.As soon as the gunner shoots camera follows the round all the way till it hits.If he misses he can easily re-adjust his barrel to hit were he wants.

So how bout this for FH2 ?

Offline Limonero

• View Profile
Re: Mobile Artillery
« Reply #1 on: 07-07-2010, 16:07:42 »
Seems like a great idea but...wouldn´t it be too overpowered? The gunner would need no spotter...
There should be something like an artificial deviation...a bit of randomness...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-07-2010, 16:07:27 »
Its not so easy to shoot exactly were you want but we must also take into account how deadly was artillery in world war 2 . Still you are right with a bit of inaccuracy it would be better as to not make it too pwnz0rz

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #3 on: 07-07-2010, 16:07:48 »
That sounds like a mimic of the BF942 system.  Which imo was awesome if you got the Wespe, such a small thing, such large destruction.

But... this won't happen.  Mobile artillery in FH2, from the back of the truck.  You know what 90% of people will do, park it out of the way or near a main base and cause a big mess.
IF there are any new Africa maps in the making, ...Kasserine Pass maybe, but in Normandy or on the Eastern front I wouldn't expect to see mobile artillery other than katyusha which I would imagine will be fired similar to the stukka zu fuss.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline katakulli

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-07-2010, 17:07:00 »
It works with poe 2 because it's artillery shells are weak, however if you do that on fh2 it will be totally unfair and unrealistic.
Basically, axis bias has removed. Glad its being noticed.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-07-2010, 17:07:21 »
The same system (more or less) is in use (for fixed artillery pieces) in Eve of Destruction 2. However, again we're talking of a mod where you can survive direct hits from a tank's main gun, and you can fire 57mm autocannon at a helicopter till the cows come home without noticeable effect.

Maybe for FH2, the camera could cut off slightly before the shell hits, so you only see the general area from high up instead of the exact spot?

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-07-2010, 17:07:08 »
Or maybe we could let the Driver follow the shell.This would force the crew to stop and not be just a heavier tank and would keep the gunner from seeing what he really shoots at.So without communication they cant do anything but it would still be deadly as hell .

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-07-2010, 17:07:18 »
The problem with mobile artillery is, that the system can't determine where the vehicle is, thus it can't calculate the right coordinates. However, I always thought it would be good to give the walking Stuka access to the overhead view for artillery spots. Even with out the numbers one could then adjusts ones fire roughly by using the overhead view.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:49 »
Would it be possible for a shell hit to create a marker on the minimap where it hits, that would decay after a few seconds. I know people have suggested things like this before but I can't honestly remember the answer.

Of course, in that system you would still be able to shell spawnpoints without spots anyways, but to hit anything specific you would need a view of the area.

azreal

« Reply #9 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:23 »
Suggested before as well, and no not really.

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:56 »
You could always outfit the guns with sights that measure in an in-game measurement, like grids, or half grids. The mortars in Fh2 currently can be pretty accurately aimed by using the Pythagorean Theorem and counting grids. Every two arrows is about equal to one grid.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:04 »
The square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the two other sides of the triangle...

Offline katakulli

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:12 »
I'm against this idea.

Reason 1:It will reduce amount of fun.

There are 32 players on a team which need to find something to do. For example if a team have one field artillery on poe 2 this means only one player can get fun. However spotting system means more players can join the game and find something to do. If you play aberdeen and if you can't get a tank there is nothing to do as infantry, people just get bored and switch the server.

Last time i played at aberdeen i spawned as scout infantry and appllied for the commander than i took the captured command vehicle and went to frontlines. I used my binoculars to guide 105mm light howitzer's fire and find targets for my commander artillery. Finally i could get fun but other players which played as infantry got bored and started to type messages like arrrghhh f..k operation aberdeen.

Reason 2 : It will reduce the amount of realism.

Armies were using scout infantry and scout planes for guiding the artillery for indirect fire at ww2 era because there was no magical shells and camera views  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2LNTzfqv_s
« Last Edit: 07-07-2010, 18:07:43 by katakulli »
Basically, axis bias has removed. Glad its being noticed.

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07-07-2010, 18:07:35 »
I think the devs have made it pretty clear that they are not going to change the spotting system. Love it or hate it, I wouldn't expect anything more than minor tweaks to it.

As for the viability of mobile artillery with the BF2 engine, we already have it in FH2: deployed mortars. You can place them anywhere on the map and the spotting system knows where they are. I seem to recall someone saying the problem with mobile guns, Wespe, Bishop, etc, was that they have to be deployed on level ground to function properly, and they didn't have a work around for that yet.  I am not sure how they got it to work with the mortars, but they are much smaller.

But I could be wrong.

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07-07-2010, 19:07:13 »
Guys guys guys....I never said remove the current system or change it.I love it.I just said that for mobile artillery This way could be used.And again it will not be one person.Its one driver and one gunner.I myself sometimes just want to drive and nothing more.It would be more helpfull to improve team work as the guys have to join the same squad or else they will have no clue what to do one or another.