Author Topic: Battlefield 3  (Read 236370 times)

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #1620 on: 17-10-2011, 12:10:58 »
Well, well seems that the "small insignificant group of forum whiners" won this time...  ::)

Now if only we could get rid of Origin and make them release some modding tools some day...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Eglaerinion

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: 17-10-2011, 12:10:40 »
More flags is not better in my opinion. 5 is the maximum for me to be honest, especially since there is no push system in BF3.
"The wolves will come again."

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: 17-10-2011, 13:10:49 »
I assume that's what Rush is all about; providing a more focused, or serious, alternative to CQ.
Yes... that is the purpose of Rush  ;)

Well, well seems that the "small insignificant group of forum whiners" won this time...  ::)
What are you talking about, "won"?
---

@Archimonday, kind of yes.. except the four flag diamond layout has the two middle ones tighter together, so it shapes a diamond, not just an angled square. Most BFHeroes maps use classic 4-flag diamond to much success. The reason why the two center flags usually is pressed together a bit is to create a nice infantry fight between them, and if one team controls both center flags, they get a sort of "we own it" feeling, and the other team needs to "break in"

Buccaneer Bay

The 3 flag one is nice, and I regret not having used it more in FH2... it worked sweet in classic maps like Berlin, El Alamein, Kharkov etc...

About the linear, I would say you can have pretty much as long linear line as you want, but mostly they arent that straight as you painted it. Consider one of the best maps, Karkand and it's bended linear flag layout, allthough it does offer 2 "off flags" where players can deviate from the main assault line. It's a sexy formation and the success is undeniable. I also like the harmony of distances in it, where first you have two close flags, then quite a large gap until the next one (at the bottleneck), it allows attacker to get some room to breathe once they've cleared the first two (hotel + square).. I wonder how Karkand would play out with a sequantial Push system... probably nice.. well, we will see in BF3 and its Rush variation.

« Last Edit: 17-10-2011, 13:10:29 by Natty »

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: 17-10-2011, 13:10:50 »
I'd agree with you. As long as the basic groups of flags are kept in these basic shapes, one could have as many flags as one wanted and you could create a map of epic proportions.

If I made a Three Flag Triangle map, I could ten take each of the corners of that Three Flag Triangle, and make another set of flags, closer together, that form another shape, such as another Three Flag Triangle, or a Five Flag Diamond, etc. As long as the clusters of flags have one of the basic shapes, they will always flow good.

@BF Heroes: Good Point about the central flags. Don't take my picture though as sort of the "how they have to be" if you look at some of BF2's maps you'll see Five Flag Diamonds that are stretched at one corner, and other things. Its just meant to represent the basic shape.
« Last Edit: 17-10-2011, 13:10:56 by Archimonday »

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: 17-10-2011, 13:10:26 »
If I had time, I would make a map looking like this for FH2

very rough, but you get the idea.. a long progressive map that takes player through all kinds of environments (fields, forests, mountains, streams, villages, town etc).. a bit like a Valve map actually.. with a big climactic ending in some cool scenery. I think it would be cool to focus on one type of battle per "stage", even have planes in some stage, tanks in some, inf-only in some, long distance fire in some. The whole route could be as long as possible, with up to ~20 flags.
you get the idea..

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:33 »
so, aparantly the rumors were right, everytime you shot an unsupressed weapon, you get spotted in the enemy minimap as a red dot, sounds familiar?.

oh and the previus rumors about SL only spawn was just that, rumors, there is still the derp spawn from bc2.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:50 »
BC2 spawnsystem was awesome, I enjoyed it a lot more than the silly SL in BF2.. having to wait for him to be alive sucked, and what about all the times he was a n00b and wasnt in any good spot?

Naah, having the option to select what squad member you want is far superior, and creates much more interesting and dynamic tactics than just this one guy to spawn on.. I mean, why him? He isnt any "leader" at all, just a dude. Can just as well spawn on the next dude.

Biiviz

« Reply #1628 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:57 »
BC2 spawnsystem was awesome, I enjoyed it a lot more than the silly SL in BF2.. having to wait for him to be alive sucked, and what about all the times he was a n00b and wasnt in any good spot?

Naah, having the option to select what squad member you want is far superior, and creates much more interesting and dynamic tactics than just this one guy to spawn on.. I mean, why him? He isnt any "leader" at all, just a dude. Can just as well spawn on the next dude.

It worked with 32 players. Hopefully it'll work just as well with 64 players.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:08 »

It worked with 32 players. Hopefully it'll work just as well with 64 players.
Worked on Caspian Border.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:23 »
Do you realy have to support every single thing about this game Natty ? You would be much more believable if you weren't. How can spawning on everyone can create any tactic ? You kill 5 guys but it was pointless because they are going to spawn on the sixth anyway. Get out of here.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:00 »
I dont "support" anything.. Im saying what I think. Not like I care what you "believe" either.
Spawning on all the squad members create alot of interesting tactics and game play moments, you will understand later on in case you don't already. Or if you ever played BC2 in hardcore servers with tight clan-like play, you'd know how hard and serious the guys fight to eliminate the entire squad, since as you say "they are going to spawn on the last" unless the entire squad is dead. It also makes military styled "advance + cover" movements possible even in insanely "hot" areas (with lots of deaths / killls)

Maybe it is too hardcore for you, and you prefer to have only one little spawn-gnome squatting in a bush that you can run around looking for? Get out of here you too.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:53 »

meh, you end with 3 guys somewhere on the map and 2 other guys in a corner, creating hoping of locations, you die here? try here, dead too?move back here !.

oh wait, I guess thats the reason why all the maps are flag clusters ans corridor shooters, canalize the spawn and movement of the player with invissible walls and out of bounds areas!. thats also why the squad size got reduced, with 4 you can have so much split and less options to spawn.

it all make sense now.

Offline Beaufort

• WIP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: 17-10-2011, 16:10:55 »
I dont "support" anything.. Im saying what I think. Not like I care what you "believe" either.

Pff great, and I dont care what you care about either. /flame

Spawning on all the squad members create alot of interesting tactics and game play moments, you will understand later on in case you don't already. Or if you ever played BC2 in hardcore servers with tight clan-like play, you'd know how hard and serious the guys fight to eliminate the entire squad, since as you say "they are going to spawn on the last" unless the entire squad is dead. It also makes military styled "advance + cover" movements possible even in insanely "hot" areas (with lots of deaths / killls)

Maybe it is too hardcore for you, and you prefer to have only one little spawn-gnome squatting in a bush that you can run around looking for? Get out of here you too.

Right, Ill understand AFTER I pay for the game of course. Yes I have played BC2 vietnam with this feature and it was nothing more than a run and gun shooter with NO tactic. And you prefer running after six guys than one ? How's that ?

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: 17-10-2011, 17:10:40 »
I can't help but notice the hypocrisy of people....6 man squads, with orders and a commander to guide them all right? That was the recipe to success and a real tactical element in BF2

Question is...WHO THE F*** USED IT RIGHT?

Went to play BF2 a week ago and guess what. The same shit is up that was 3-4 years ago. Commander spamming the "spotted", 3 squads of which 2 are 2 buddies who have locked their squad and 1 squad of which all are scattered all over the place.No coordination, no sense in it whatsoever. Only reason squads are good in BF2 is because of mods that use it well.

Talking about realism...We got 2 squads irl meeting each other. 1 squad kills all of the other but one guy. Are they gonna just move on to the "flag" (objective) or clear out the final one who got spotted by the squad(too much like the minimap spot to you) ,who could very well be a machine gunner or a radio man who could very easily thwart their plans, before moving on? And about that too, i'd prefer having to look on the minimap or have something on my hud to tell me there is infantry nearby than people spamming "ENEMY INFANTRY SPOTTED,ENEMYINFANTRY".

Flag clusters and corridor shooter maps? Uhhmm that huge map called Caspian border or something, i think that one is pretty fucking huge.