Author Topic: Owen gun for Aussies and NZ?  (Read 1209 times)

Offline Lonewolf051

• View Profile
Owen gun for Aussies and NZ?
« on: 07-08-2020, 20:08:52 »
Im surprised it hasnt been included yet, Aussies in a WWII title are rare enough as it is, and the Owen gun being so iconic to the Australian infantryman during the war. Is there a reason its not in the game yet?
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ, and the American soldier, one died for your soul, and the other, for your freedom" - Col. Grant L. Rosensteel Jr. USAF

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Owen gun for Aussies and NZ?
« Reply #1 on: 07-08-2020, 20:08:22 »
Owen guns were not used in North Africa or Greece to my knowledge.

Offline Lonewolf051

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-08-2020, 20:08:27 »
hmmm, well they were standard issue to Aussie troops, so theres bound to be a few wherever they went.

anyone to lend some evidence?
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ, and the American soldier, one died for your soul, and the other, for your freedom" - Col. Grant L. Rosensteel Jr. USAF

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-08-2020, 20:08:40 »
Well none of the maps we have australians on take place in 1942, and the gun was adopted in 1942. Operation Hyacinth is the only 1942 map that has New Zealand troops on, I highly doubt the LRDG would have received them tho.

Offline Lonewolf051

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-08-2020, 20:08:08 »
would be nice having the Aussies in later maps like Italy 43-44

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-08-2020, 21:08:24 »
I assume you mean on Pacific maps? since there's been some that have popped up on CMP in the past. Afaik, the Owen gun was really only used by the Australians in that theater.

I think some of the CMP guys have ideas about making ANZAC maps in the Pacific, but none in the pipeline at the moment. Tho if we get some New Guinea maps in the future, the Owen gun is a must-have. :)

Offline Gregb1955

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08-08-2020, 00:08:49 »
Hmmm, what we need is a Kokoda Map! One day..... :)

Offline batistadk

• SP/COOP junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09-08-2020, 17:08:22 »
Only on Pacific maps, for sure! Papua and Solomons.

An issue with the Owen is its cartridge, 9mm. As it happened with the Sten, the British didn't issued these weapons to the Mediterranean based on a logistics problem. They simplified their logistic chain in this theatre by using only one type of SMG cartridge, the .45 ACP.

But if someone is interested in making a landing on Bougainville map, it would be a nice choice for a SMG!  8) 8) 8)

Offline Gregb1955

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10-08-2020, 01:08:22 »
The Owen gun was a remarkable weapon. But not as well know as the sten or others.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_gun

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-08-2020, 17:08:25 »
Owen would be great, but again, issue is it was only used in the Pacific theater.  Forgotten Hope 2 will likely never make it to the Pacific sadly, since development is pretty slow nowadays and the game is pretty old. ;P

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-08-2020, 08:08:33 »
Owen would be great, but again, issue is it was only used in the Pacific theater.  Forgotten Hope 2 will likely never make it to the Pacific sadly, since development is pretty slow nowadays and the game is pretty old. ;P
that's pretty pessimistic! you need to visit our internal inner circle more often I think ;) (but yeah, Pacific theatre is a CMP thing, not part of our official development)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15-08-2020, 18:08:29 »
Yeah, I should go browse through our internal discord more.  I'd love to return to researching and betatesting and stuff, but life has been a gigantic mess the past year and is only continuing to be so.  :-\