Author Topic: Using Binoculars from tank cupola positions, small inconsistency with shermans  (Read 980 times)

Offline Jush

• [INACTIVE]
    • View Profile
I love that many tanks have a cupola-position slot where you can actually use binoculars to spot for arty while in a tank, but i noticed an inconsistency: the brit sherman-2 (on mareth) has this feature, but the sherman 5 (on goodwood) does not, sadly

sherman 2:

sherman 5

This is a bigger issue than before, since you cant use kits when sitting on a back of the tank any more (to prevent the teleport-while-repair exploit). But now you have to hop out of the sherman 5 to make a spot, and also you don't have a nice high position on foot like you do up in the cupola.

I don't event think there tank cupola needs to be changed on the tank model into an open cupola -- if you look at the brit vehicle list, you see both the 2 and 5 are modeled with a closed cupola.it might look a bit ugly (?), but you certainly don't notice it while you are in the position yourself.

Could this be added to the sherman 5 (and maybe other tanks?) even if there is no model for an open cupola (or a cupola animation, even)?
[INACTIVE]

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Well in-game the cupola on the Sherman II is open. I guess whoever rendered it for the news closed it up. Having the cupola closed and having the player standing in there looks a bit silly, so in order to add a cupola position to all tanks in the game, a good chunk of them would need to be re-modeled and re-exported unfortunately.

To be honest, I'd like to see them all removed for consistency's sake since there's still bugs present in the game that allow you to exploit that position slightly.

Regarding using binoculars from there, I think it'd be cooler if there was some gameplay reasoning behind it. Like if certain vehicles had a secondary position for a player to use binoculars (like on some of Stugs), but put it on vehicles that fulfilled a recon role in real life like the Greyhound, Sdkfz 222 etc.... Hell Let Loose is actually implementing something along those lines. But even that would be a good amount of work, so I'm not sure if it's possible unless it's way down the road.

Offline Jush

• [INACTIVE]
    • View Profile
I see, thanks for the clarification!
[INACTIVE]

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Honestly, I've made the argument multiple times to eliminate the copula position entirely and move the tank camera view to the copula position for all the tanks, to represent you being in the commander's position.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Honestly, I've made the argument multiple times to eliminate the copula position entirely and move the tank camera view to the copula position for all the tanks, to represent you being in the commander's position.
I did it for all tanks in 2.56, apart from those few which had cuppola open (mind that some tanks, like panthers, have MG position in there, so alternative and minor inconsistency is needed anyway)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Yeee that's what I mean, those final ones ;)

Offline F.E.Glöckner

• View Profile
Can it be that the Cupola Position in the Sherman is much higher than the actuall Visionslits in it? Because in the P4s its really close to the Cupola and you cant see shit whats going on around you. In the Shermans you see everything and thats the reason why its the better Infantery Rape Vehicle.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
In FH2 commander's view is placed over the commander hatch, so yes, "much" higher than actual vision slits. Pz IV is an exception due to the fact that the opened hatch will block your view to side completely if camera view will be placed in the standard position. To avoid that it had to be placed where vision slits are, or half a meter above  the hatch, but that will give you too much of an advantage, making it possible to see over the obstacles like walls etc.