Author Topic: M1 Carbine  (Read 9915 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: M1 Carbine
« Reply #30 on: 25-03-2012, 00:03:56 »
It looks different?

Offline titsmcgee852

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 25-03-2012, 00:03:51 »
Where does one find the drilling kit in this game?

Offline Musti

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 25-03-2012, 00:03:11 »
I meant the mauser version,with bolt action.
Where does one find the drilling kit in this game?
its on many maps, most of the time it looks like a pitchfork. Look near flags named "farm" "farm house" etc. There's one on Pointe du Hoc or Cobra for example.
WARNING!
Assholes are closer than they appear!

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-03-2012, 18:03:46 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhFOcusuZPY

This guy uses the Carbine quite succesfully at the end of the vid.

Offline Korsakov829

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-03-2012, 06:03:09 »
Played with this gun a bit more today on Ramelle 64. Managed to get quite a few kills (10-15) from the church tower with it, and two head shots. But as I said earlier, its a semi-automatic rifle that requires two shots to center of mass to take someone down. In all cases when I took more then 3 seconds to kill someone, they ran for their lives. Thats not exactly a good thing, but, on the other hand they can't exactly fight back effectively when wounded. I would much prefer the M1 Garand as it only really takes one shot and I don't want to risk a kill escaping me, or even killing me later. While the caliber is the same, the carbine has a shorter range but a larger mag and less recoil. Its good for some 300m, but beyond that, you would want the M1 Garand.

Offline CHRISTIEFRONTDRIVE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 31-03-2012, 21:03:40 »
The problem I have with the Carbine is that it's still slightly surprising to get a fast kill from it. I'll go into a firefight expecting and preparing for 3-6 shots and if it's two shots (or occasionally just one) that kill the enemy it throws me off balance.
Quote from: TASSER1
you suck. noone likes you. and your mother isn't pretty

Quote from: Eightball1182
Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 31-03-2012, 21:03:38 »
Played with this gun a bit more today on Ramelle 64. Managed to get quite a few kills (10-15) from the church tower with it, and two head shots. But as I said earlier, its a semi-automatic rifle that requires two shots to center of mass to take someone down. In all cases when I took more then 3 seconds to kill someone, they ran for their lives. Thats not exactly a good thing, but, on the other hand they can't exactly fight back effectively when wounded. I would much prefer the M1 Garand as it only really takes one shot and I don't want to risk a kill escaping me, or even killing me later. While the caliber is the same, the carbine has a shorter range but a larger mag and less recoil. Its good for some 300m, but beyond that, you would want the M1 Garand.

Careful, mate! The caliber is mighty different! The M1 carbine uses the .30 Carbine (7.62×33mm) round, whereas the M1 Garand uses the powerful .30-06 Springfield round.  ;) If you're interested, hre's some information about each round: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30_Carbine

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 31-03-2012, 22:03:30 »
The problem I have with the Carbine is that it's still slightly surprising to get a fast kill from it. I'll go into a firefight expecting and preparing for 3-6 shots and if it's two shots (or occasionally just one) that kill the enemy it throws me off balance.

It kills with 1 shot to upper body and two to lower body.

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 15-06-2012, 08:06:08 »
I think it's fair to say this has become my favorite gun in the mod. Extremely useful at short ranges and underrated at longer ones (I have 1-shot killed a reasonable amount of Germans from miles away lately), decent sights and with the added bonus of never being kit limited.

I had a big long post about my tips for the Carbine but on second thought it would likely just be covering what everyone already knows, but I think my favorite thing about it is that the US engineer kit is the perfect one for me. Some of you love specialized kits (sniper, lafette, whatever), but personally, I like to be prepared for whatever any given battle throws at me and the Carbine kit does that the best. With it, I get a knife (obviously), an excellent close-quarters and reasonable long-range gun almost embarrassingly easy to shoot, (to deal with soldiers), Composition B (to deal with tanks), and a wrench, to contribute to my team by repairing shit. Comp B is not great anti-tank weaponry, but it is enough for me that it simply is anti-tank weaponry. I can chase a tank down and do the equivalent of satcheling it, rather than placing mines on the ground and hoping the enemy drives over them. The Composition B also has the additional value of acting like a poor man's grenade, as you can toss into bunkers and houses and whatnot.

So I'd encourage anyone who otherwise dismisses the Carbine to give it another shot.

I have one question though - there's a thread in suggestions about M1 pick up kits and I am wondering if I've found all the (spawnable and pick-up) Carbine kits in the game:

knife/Colt/M1 Carbine/smoke nades/binocs (US SL kit)
knife/M1 Carbine/Comp B/wrench (US engineer kit)
knife/M1A1 Carbine/smoke nades/AP mines/binocs (US scout kit)
shovel/M1 Carbine/Comp B/wrench (US engineer pick-up kit).

Plus the Point du Hoc kit, which I forget exactly what it has.

Are there any others in the game at the time? Pick-up kits with the M1?
« Last Edit: 15-06-2012, 09:06:20 by Andrew »

Andrew.Drunk.Drive...I love u man. You get it...u get it 100%. Stay cool Canada brother.

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 15-06-2012, 09:06:16 »
P.S. Here are some photos of the M1 Carbine I found a while back if anyone else is a fan of this gun and is interested:

http://www.mediafire.com/?bm6h08bqca5qjd2

One of the sexiest things I've ever seen <3

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27-06-2012, 11:06:03 »
I was on 762 (180+ ping) and was trying the different kits. I found the carbine to work pretty good. Higher volume of fire and still be able to move. LMG, cant move so good.

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 27-06-2012, 19:06:45 »
I was on 762 (180+ ping) and was trying the different kits. I found the carbine to work pretty good. Higher volume of fire and still be able to move. LMG, cant move so good.

I find the Carbine is sort of like playing with high ping itself - it forces you to think more about the battle than just running in, gun's a-blazin', and relying on the fact you've got half a second's advantage on other players to get you out alive. The Carbine, with a comparatively weak round, forces you to either..

- Take your time and aim for vulnerable spots, which in turn means you need to prepare good cover, outsmart the other player, have good sneaking skills, learn patience, etc.

- Get in several shots before the other play has time to react, which even if everyone had the same ping would be dangerous, but when you're attacking someone with your ping of 182 and they're playing with a ping of 26, you need to develop good ambush techniques, learn to compensate for recoil, learn to attack from unlikely positions, etc.

I really think using a gun like this makes you a better player, and it's sure as fuck made me a better one. The skills you need to use the Carbine effectively are to my eyes skills that make you more effective in nearly everything else you can do in FH2.

Offline TimeMachineAssassin

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29-06-2012, 01:06:39 »
Yes, being at the ping disadvantage forces me to try to gain advantage somwhere else. I did a round with bots and fired 3 rounds fast at group of bots and three bots went down, startled me.

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02-12-2016, 14:12:11 »
Occasionally a friend of mine comes over to play Forgotten Hope 2, and he has used the M1 Carbine once or twice.  He always ends up shooting entire clips at Germans at like 1 metre and never hitting anything, he fucking hates that gun haha.
I also hate that gun, i'd much rather use a pistol.
Yes, I also despise the M1 Carbine and prefer the old-fashoined bolt-action rifles.
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)

Offline FHMax3

• Gunnery Sargeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 08-01-2017, 11:01:53 »
Bots don't use field dressings anyway....

BTW in 1944 conversion kits existed that made it possible to convert M1 Carbines to full auto mode. There is some evidence that these kits were issued (alongside an increased amount of smgs) to the US "Indianhead" Division, which was refitted as an "assault" division prior to their attack on Brest. So there is some food for thought ;)
The converted versions were known as "M2 Carbine"
That other thread failed miserably and if you try to spam or flame here, I will break your arms.
FH2 won't be the last FH. ;)