Author Topic: Nazis 'planned gas attack' during UK war invasion  (Read 2658 times)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
Re: Nazis 'planned gas attack' during UK war invasion
« Reply #1 on: 24-06-2011, 13:06:15 »
Some military intelligence reports hardly constitute solid evidence for a nazi gas attack. Especially considering when it has been well established that the British would have used mustard gas against a German invasion, General Brooke mentioning in his war diaries the he "...had every intention of using sprayed mustard gas on the beaches".

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24-06-2011, 13:06:33 »
I love it how people always try to make thirties and forties Germans look evil. Of course Allied were divine good guys who didn't do anything but fight for the good, lol.

Offline Thorondor123

• God Emperor
  • Global Moderator
  • Lugbûrz-ûr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24-06-2011, 14:06:50 »
I love it how people always try to make thirties and forties Germans look evil.
I don't think anyone has to even try. They did it quite a thorough job themselves.
Let mortal heroes sing your fame

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24-06-2011, 14:06:36 »
I love it how people always try to make thirties and forties Germans look evil. Of course Allied were divine good guys who didn't do anything but fight for the good, lol.

How do you get that idea from that article? Sound like you have a bit of a grudge.

Some military intelligence reports hardly constitute solid evidence for a nazi gas attack. Especially considering when it has been well established that the British would have used mustard gas against a German invasion, General Brooke mentioning in his war diaries the he "...had every intention of using sprayed mustard gas on the beaches".

So what evidence would you want?  There are numerous sources in the reports all stating the same thing - that Germany was preparing chemical and biological weapons for the invasion of Britain. I don't see what the British intention to use mustard gas to defend itself has to do with the validitiy of this information.

Offline Stefan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24-06-2011, 14:06:16 »
churchill wanted to drop chemical weapons first strike wise on germany along with the conventional and firebombs, but the generals warned him for the retaliation.
"It is the function of the CIA to keep the world unstable, and to propagandize and teach the American people to hate and fear, so we will let the Establishment spend any amount of money on arms."

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24-06-2011, 14:06:44 »
What lightning is basically saying is "So what?"  And I agree, "So what?"   I wonder if both sides would have had the guts to use them anyways.

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:06 »
What lightning is basically saying is "So what?"  And I agree, "So what?"   I wonder if both sides would have had the guts to use them anyways.

I didn't really get that from his post tbh. I do agree with "So what?" though.

Reading through these reports, it seems that both sides want the weapons to be act as a deterrent as much as actually using them. The Brits want Gerry to know that if he invades Mustard Gas will be used. Gerry wants the Brits to think they will use chem weapons which of course drastically alters plans for defending the invasion.

Either way, I think the Brits would have most to lose it these weapons would have ever been used. The reports seem to suggest that Germany had a large lead ahead of Britain in preparing civilian populations for chemical and biological attack. On its own soil, this worry may have prevented the Brits from using these weapons for fear of responses against cities etc.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24-06-2011, 15:06:51 »
Even Germany refused, to the bitter end, to use chem weapons.  I think that alone proves that the threat of retaliation and the horror of it was so great that even as your country was falling, the government would still refuse to use them.

In the end, the article is attempting to make the evil German army seem even more dastardly and evil.

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24-06-2011, 16:06:16 »
Even Germany refused, to the bitter end, to use chem weapons.  I think that alone proves that the threat of retaliation and the horror of it was so great that even as your country was falling, the government would still refuse to use them.

In the end, the article is attempting to make the evil German army seem even more dastardly and evil.

I disagree. The article is simply detailing the public release of these documents and providing a brief summary of its contents. I don't see how it demonises the Germans anymore than they already are, it is just stating what's included in these reports.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #10 on: 24-06-2011, 18:06:21 »
@Chadoi, everyone knows Mudra sleeps with the Germans, he's into all that shit and will defend them at each pillar and post, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I can say as a British citizen, any muthaflippers that try to invade our country by sea will be in a world of pain, shit, I'd push the button to drop some mustard gas on those douches, we'll even nuke our own beaches so Nazis, Al Queadas, ETAs, AMERICANS, you name it don't ever have the satisfaction of saying "we were the ones who stormed Britains defences".

We are smarting still from the times the Vikings pilleged our land.  And nobody speaks about it too much but the French also invaded.  This alone is cause enough to defend our isle with just about anything we can throw at the invaders.
« Last Edit: 24-06-2011, 18:06:44 by von.small »
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-06-2011, 18:06:41 »
Had Germany actually attempted an invasion of Great Britain, the use of chemical weapons (presumably by both sides) would have favored the British. The invasion would have been a logistical nightmare for the Germans. Chemical warfare would have meant shipping even more equipment over and more casualties back. Also delivering a gas attack involved very careful planning and timing. The British would have been in a much better position to conduct a gas attack since they were operating from their home base than the Germans who would have been operating on a sparsely supplied beachhead.

Offline Butcher

• ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24-06-2011, 19:06:40 »
hitler refused to use mustard-gas against soldiers because he got blinded by it at the end of ww1.
then again he ordered to kill over 6 million people, most of them with gas.
He got banned for our sins. He was not the member FH forums deserved, he was the member we needed.

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24-06-2011, 19:06:10 »
Had Germany actually attempted an invasion of Great Britain, the use of chemical weapons (presumably by both sides) would have favored the British. The invasion would have been a logistical nightmare for the Germans. Chemical warfare would have meant shipping even more equipment over and more casualties back. Also delivering a gas attack involved very careful planning and timing. The British would have been in a much better position to conduct a gas attack since they were operating from their home base than the Germans who would have been operating on a sparsely supplied beachhead.

Good points but you have to consider the British position in that any retaliatory strikes could be directed at civilian areas causing enormous casualties. However, like you said merely the threat of a chemical strike would have further hindered the already staggeringly complex German invasion plans and would have bought Britain more time to prepare its defenses if an invasion was to happen.

@Chadoi, everyone knows Mudra sleeps with the Germans, he's into all that shit and will defend them at each pillar and post, it's his opinion and he's entitled to it.

I can say as a British citizen, any muthaflippers that try to invade our country by sea will be in a world of pain, shit, I'd push the button to drop some mustard gas on those douches, we'll even nuke our own beaches so Nazis, Al Queadas, ETAs, AMERICANS, you name it don't ever have the satisfaction of saying "we were the ones who stormed Britains defences".

We are smarting still from the times the Vikings pilleged our land.  And nobody speaks about it too much but the French also invaded.  This alone is cause enough to defend our isle with just about anything we can throw at the invaders.

I welcome his opinion, wouldn't be a good debate if we all agreed with each other now would it  ;)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24-06-2011, 19:06:13 »
hitler refused to use mustard-gas against soldiers because he got blinded by it at the end of ww1.
then again he ordered to kill over 6 million people, most of them with gas.

Never forget, he did not view those 6,000,000 as people.