Author Topic: Revolting Uniting  (Read 306791 times)

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Revolting Uniting
« Reply #6450 on: 10-07-2016, 20:07:06 »
Went on a LAN and played Day of Defeat Source again after a five year hiatus. God damn that's one solid game. Tiiiiight! The only downside is that the zoom animation for iron sights is not smooth, and it's a jarring jump from an animation to the static iron sights.

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6451 on: 15-07-2016, 22:07:08 »
What's up in Turkey?

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6452 on: 15-07-2016, 23:07:24 »
I hope it goes well and without much bloodshed...

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6453 on: 16-07-2016, 03:07:12 »
The bloodshed is a pity. Lots of dead people already. For nothing.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6454 on: 16-07-2016, 06:07:20 »
I hope our friend Thanamesh Tolga is fine there. He was posted to the borders, but don't know any other info yet.

Anybody there in Ankara or Istanbul?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6455 on: 16-07-2016, 09:07:07 »
Good riddance Erdogan, you won't be missed.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6456 on: 16-07-2016, 10:07:10 »
Well from what is reported, the coup was crushed.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6457 on: 16-07-2016, 12:07:03 »
A pity.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6458 on: 16-07-2016, 12:07:41 »
Really? Military coups rarely work out well. Say what you want about Erdogan, but he is democratically elected, so removing him by force sends the wrong message entirely.

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #6459 on: 16-07-2016, 13:07:43 »
Yep, having a destabilised country right off EU borders is the least thing you want, at least it will be much worse than Brexit and other European antics.

Offline Kalkalash

• aka Niko1992
    • View Profile
« Reply #6460 on: 16-07-2016, 15:07:05 »
Well, if you look at Turkey's history, the military has always played a pretty big role in politics, intervening from time to time when secular democracy has been threatened. Oddly enough, the military junta has always transitioned back to democracy pretty peacefully after a while.

Considering what a pro-islamisation cunt Erdogan is, it's not a surprise the military did what it did. The coup would've probably been more successful, but Erdogan's been replacing the more secular elements of the military with people who support him instead.

Also, a democratic choice isn't always the best choice.
“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6461 on: 16-07-2016, 16:07:37 »
I hope our friend Thanamesh Tolga is fine there. He was posted to the borders, but don't know any other info yet.

The borders are much more dangerous. Especially south and east.

The coup failed for a simple reason: The media wasn't blackened properly, thus Erdogan could adress his supporters. The rebelling military officers had no support on the street, and it seems that many soldiers had just been given orders, without them knowing what is going on. And once they found out, they went home.

So, turkish military appears in poor shape, lots of conscripts, not very loyal to their officers. Meanwhile the police have been boosted by Erdogan that much, that they dared facing the military. It was pretty obvious that the police is loyal to Erdogan. That was totally neglected last night. They should have waited with this coup until Erdogan proclaims the Turkish Caliphate, just to have a proper support base then.

Afterall this attempt of a coup will weaken the indepence of the military, the purges have just begun.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6462 on: 16-07-2016, 16:07:57 »
What if this was a false flag operation by Erdogan and his cronies to justify even more civil rights violations and make the laws even more theocratic?

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #6463 on: 16-07-2016, 16:07:09 »
Really? Military coups rarely work out well. Say what you want about Erdogan, but he is democratically elected, so removing him by force sends the wrong message entirely.
Hitler was democratically elected too, so removing him by force sent the wrong message entirely?

We're talking about a guy who has never even bothered to pretend that his goal would be anything else than an Iran-style Islamistic theocracy. "Democracy is like a tram, you have to get off at the right stop", and all that. Yes, him losing in a fair election would be preferable to a coup, but getting a fair election in Turkey is a distant hope, so a coup is the next best thing. Maybe theocracy indeed is what the majority of Turkish people wants, but at some point the minority has to be protected from the majority, and Erdogan or AKP are not going to do that if they get more power.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6464 on: 16-07-2016, 16:07:07 »
An entertaining conspiracy from /pol/

Holy shit, just got in touch with my friend in Turkey and he let  me know what's going on for real.

Here's the low down: Russia started bombing terrorists in Syria again, against threats of intervention by the US. The Ruskies called the bluff and NATO announced that they would be flying sorties near Russian bases to "monitor ISIS" (more like threaten Russia).

Suddenly, out of no where, Erdogan blocks the NATO jets then says he wants to mend relations with Russia.

- French air craft carrier was set to deploy to the Gulf
- A conveniently timed massacre occurred, giving them a casus belli to enter the conflict.
- Kerry literally in Moscow trying to strong arm them and suddenly a coup happens in Turkey.
- Obama was apparently not informed about the latter, Kerry had it arranged.
- Coup flops HARD, turns out someone had tipped off Erdogan (I wonder who?)
- Erdogan takes back power and closes US bases and surrounds US troops

Apparently, Kerry literally BTFO out 70 years of US foreign policy. No idea why, my friend cut it off there and had to go

I am more in the camp of a staged coup so Erdogan can get more power.

Why do a coup when erdogan is out of town?
Why put 2700 judges on non active?
Why want to reinstate the death penalty?
Why was there no social media blackout as usual, and why did Erdogan himself actually use social media himself this time?