Author Topic: Job searching topic  (Read 1186 times)

Offline Abuzer

• View Profile
    • Dutchreview
Job searching topic
« on: 16-10-2012, 15:10:33 »
Since this is a nice international forum with a good deal of young people, demographics alone dictate that a good portion of us is looking for a job.

The least thing we could do is support each other with tips and tricks in this process! Or at least good jokes  :)
--
Oh, as a side-project, I opened up a small little website, just to get the hang of managing one of these. www.DutchReview.com
Feel free to like it on facebook, or troll the living daylights out of it.  :)
« Last Edit: 19-10-2012, 13:10:12 by Abuzer »
Nobel prize winner/available at dutchreview.com

Offline Chadoi

• View Profile
Re: Job searching topic
« Reply #1 on: 16-10-2012, 16:10:17 »
I can honestly say that the most important tip I can give anyone is to network as much as possible.

In the UK (and I'm sure this applies for most other countries too) you won't find the best jobs advertised on websites or in your local jobcentre. These jobs are mostly advertised internally within the company so getting access to them requires that you have inside knowledge of the recruitment process.

The best way for someone outside of the company to do this is via a friend, relative or acquaintance. All that you require of them is to get your foot in the door so you can then show the business the skills and potential you can offer them.

I was able to increase my social capital by attending a number of free post-graduate courses at my university, doing some voluntary work (very important now-a-days) and expanding my skills portfolio (a good LinkedIn profile is also useful). Make sure you put it out there to as many people as possible that you are looking for work.

In the end, after months of searching and applying, I finally received a call from a guy I met during a graduate employment skills programme inviting me to apply for a job at a place he joined a few weeks after this course. I sent him my CV, he sent me all the necessary paperwork then passed it onto HR. A month later, after attending some examinations and an assessment centre day, I received the good news and started a fantastic job at Jaguar Land Rover.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm just trying to say if you stay proactive, network and most importantly stay positive you can reach your employment goal. Best of luck  :)

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16-10-2012, 19:10:18 »
I wrote 1 mail, got a letter in return, went to the interview,2 weeks later i got a letter saying i could come in a few weeks later. Done.

Nothing to it really.

Offline TheRevoluzer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16-10-2012, 20:10:07 »
I wrote 1 mail, got a letter in return, went to the interview,2 weeks later i got a letter saying i could come in a few weeks later. Done.

Nothing to it really.

Same for me.
Now I am a technical engineer designing machines which produce car parts.
I got several connections during my school time as our school was financed by several companies in our region. With my very good final exam it was easy to get a job like that in our region and I am well paid too, at least for now  ;)
As stated above skill is not all but you also need to know people, some kind of corruption anyway but that's the way everything works.

Offline Kwiot

• POLISH ACE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16-10-2012, 20:10:56 »
I've just sent CV to work in new Decathlon shop for the weekends  :P But, I'm afraid it might be too late - applying for the job started at the end of August and I've heard that many people already applied...

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17-10-2012, 01:10:36 »
I'm just trying to say if you stay proactive, network and most importantly stay positive you can reach your employment goal.

Gawd. How I hate these attributes. Can't even say which the most. But definitely all of them.

That actually explains a lot, doesn't it? 8)

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-10-2012, 08:10:07 »
So you are never getting a job?  ;D
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17-10-2012, 09:10:09 »
In the end, after months of searching and applying, I finally received a call from a guy I met during a graduate employment skills programme inviting me to apply for a job at a place he joined a few weeks after this course. I sent him my CV, he sent me all the necessary paperwork then passed it onto HR. A month later, after attending some examinations and an assessment centre day, I received the good news and started a fantastic job at Jaguar Land Rover.

Wow, so sorry for offending you with my Evoque remarks.

If you please, I'd like some of the XJs. ;D

The best job is usually handed out by your lecturer who happens to be a field practitioner as well. For example, your finance docent/lecturer/tutor might be an associate in an investment banking company. You will get good connections from that.

In Indonesia, advertised jobs are usually not that great, they may open good positions and career options, but when it fits you it will be the best. Great positions are usually reserved for the best people that the company bosses can trust, thus they don't just open that position for everyone to apply.

Offline Abuzer

• View Profile
    • Dutchreview
« Reply #8 on: 17-10-2012, 11:10:13 »
Good for the people that found a job in one or 2 shots! That's how it was for me before the crisis.

Also, I notice that most of my friends who graduated in technical stuff didn't have any difficulties finding something. On the other hand, I majored in Public Administration, so with the govn cutbacks that's now a difficult sector to get into. I find that with most alpha studies this applies. Also, university/college masters and bachelors now makes you seriously overqualified for jobs such as project assistant. 
Nobel prize winner/available at dutchreview.com

Offline siben

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-10-2012, 18:10:30 »
ProTip: Study something useful and necessary.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-10-2012, 19:10:32 »
Maybe I should motivate myself to apply more actively. After all, my day job DID end for "economic reasons" after such negotiations on September 30th.

Got to know about an opening that was not even publicly advertised. Sent the CV, got asked to the interview. Then the company declared "co-determination negotiations" ie. started firing people by the truckloads. Got the call today, "sorry, but this time we did not end up hiring you", no shit, I can still read and even if I couldn't it was already on the radio and TV.

Though, while at my previous job I was headhunted twice for an opening, both vacancies being jobs for a controller with emphasis on management accounting & investment calculations. Both of the times I was the only applicant chosen by the agency to be even sent to the customer company, and it was supposed to be a sure thing both times, just sign the contract already.

The first opening was in a finance company, and coincidentally I had my job interview at 8.00 local time on 15.9.08. At 8.45 local time some minor US bank called Lehman Brothers applied for "Chapter 11" bankruptcy protection, heard the news when walking out of the interview and knew to expect nothing after that. The politicians claimed loudly that this would never have any effect on Finland whatsoever, yet nobody was hired for the position in the end and even the company does not exist anymore, so it was probably for the better. The other opening was in a private investment & holding company, problem was their portfolio consisted entirely of "lifestyle companies" with rather elastic demand. Yet, walking out of the interview on 22.4.2010, I felt hopeful, especially since by the evening there had been no signs of impending disaster. Of course, the next day some minor East European country called Greece requested a €45Bn"loan" (a loan is supposed to be paid back in full with interest, amirite? btw, any non-Greeks who still believe they are ever going to pay even one cent of that?) from the ECB & IMF. Surprise, nobody was (again) hired for the position, last time I heard the company had fired administrative people for economic reasons so maybe I should feel lucky for that, too.

However, now I am starting to get paranoid, half-convinced that whatever company I apply to will get in dire financial straits immediatly thereafter.
« Last Edit: 17-10-2012, 19:10:26 by Kelmola »

Offline Rikupsoni

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-10-2012, 01:10:15 »
Change your name to some exotic one, dye your hair black (if it isn't already) and use the tanning bed.

You will get in based on the affirmative action policies ("positive discrimination") that companies have atleast in the US and UK. Diversity for everyone!
« Last Edit: 18-10-2012, 01:10:12 by Rikupsoni »

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-10-2012, 01:10:19 »
So you are never getting a job?  ;D

I'm a failure at any job interview. It is not that I can't conduct a conversation, I'm just very bad at expressing my qualities.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-10-2012, 00:10:13 »
Get some working experience fast, figure out what you like in life, translate that to your job and don't complain too much. I sometimes see the new ones complaining, mostly because they are insecure. Don't do that, it annoys me.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-10-2012, 06:10:39 »
Change your name to some exotic one, dye your hair black (if it isn't already) and use the tanning bed.

You will get in based on the affirmative action policies ("positive discrimination") that companies have atleast in the US and UK. Diversity for everyone!

Every international companies boast about their "diversity" in their recruitment page and event. Perhaps that is what HR people can do best besides blowing money on stuffs unrelated to the companies' field of expertise.

Anyway, that affirmative action (what the Americans call it) is pretty much misleading. You have to resent the local minorities, instead of foreigners. Most companies require at least permanent resident permit or citizenship to make you eligible for applying for a position. If you are a foreigner without those requirements, you have to make up exotic and bombastic stories to get accepted, and lying will get you into serious trouble, if it were discovered.

I know one girl from Nepal who got a job in Australia, just because she is from some mountainous region that will be interesting to mention in your recruitment page. She is smart and capable of course, but they have many other options, such as my Indonesian friend and a local Aussie guy, who are better (IMO) in that work and more passionate. Moreover, being a female in an organization that is big about its workers' background & composition is a surefire advantage.

Then there is this young guy from Aceh, an orphan, victim of 2004 Asian giant tsunami, the largest casualties caused by a natural disaster in recorded history. Lost all of his relatives, including all of his family, a sole survivor. Sounds intriguing, huh? He was rescued by American Aid group, awarded with scholarship, and he did study very well (the top 3 students in his university). He easily landed in Citigroup as a young executive. My friend who compete for the position said that he is a very humble and have warm personality.

The only disadvantages Caucasian people have in other countries, is mainly due to their astronomical salary rate and a little bit cultural barriers. But most of the times, they are pretty much preferred over the others in many multinational and international-going local companies. And they are much more willing to learn, communicative, and tolerate differences than other people of different ethnicity. I made a generalisation here, but this is my observation on most expats here. Of course, some are brash arrogant, but their communicativeness is invaluable IMO.

We recruited many Australians, Americans, South Africans, even a Dane here. They are capable people of course, but surely there are local people that are even better (such as foreign university graduates, or top local graduates). What we need from them is mainly their communicating skill (Asians are generally reclusive, bad at concluding a situation, and do not speak directly & meaningfully), and most of the times: their looks, it sells pretty well, especially to many local clients who have this impression that we have a global talent pool.
« Last Edit: 19-10-2012, 06:10:29 by Zoologic »