Author Topic: Panzerfaust  (Read 20572 times)

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: Panzerfaust
« Reply #30 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:07 »
I sure hope you got the Sherman V armour correct ...

today in a Sherman V I survived :

* a direct hit from a panther approx 20 m away on my front armour. renounced, no damage at all . Panter goes BOOM

* then a stug showed up. again my front armour was hit. again renounced. 0 damage. Stug goes BOOM.

* Then a stug again . hitted me in the side / tracks. finally dead.

Really, obviously I should have died the first time.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 09-09-2009, 01:09:18 »
I sure hope you got the Sherman V armour correct ...

today in a Sherman V I survived :

* a direct hit from a panther approx 20 m away on my front armour. renounced, no damage at all . Panter goes BOOM

* then a stug showed up. again my front armour was hit. again renounced. 0 damage. Stug goes BOOM.

* Then a stug again . hitted me in the side / tracks. finally dead.

Really, obviously I should have died the first time.

Maybe newbies are firing HE shells at tanks?

Offline kettcar

• Developer
  • Mapper / News Journalist
    • View Profile
    • SWIZZ Gamingnet Community
« Reply #32 on: 09-09-2009, 08:09:24 »
or kettcar is laming Infanterie and can not change the shells fast enough  ;D ;D

Offline luftwaffe.be

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 09-09-2009, 08:09:06 »

HE shells don't bounce off, they explode

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 09-09-2009, 09:09:56 »
HE shells don't bounce off, they explode

Not quite true. They sometimes bounce off as well.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09-09-2009, 12:09:10 »
While playing tonight, I've had two things happen to me pertaining to this thread:

First, a side hit on a Sherman with a Faust didn't kill, but set it on fire.  I'm pretty sure I hit the extra armor (in the form of tank treads slapped onto the side of the hull), so that may be the answer to this conundrum.  And I accept that.

Second, and far more disturbing, I fired a PanzerShrek at an enemy Sherman it did not die instantly.  I fired it at the front, and it set it on fire, but the tank didn't die.  I may have (in fact, remembering now, I think I did) hit the gun mantle, but should it matter?  I thought the Shrek was supposed to be so overly powerful it could slice through any armor on any Sherman with one shot, no matter where it hit?  This is compounded by the fact that this happened on Lebisey, where Shreks are solely pick up kits, and, by conventional wisdom, should be stronger than the spawn-able Fausts...

Whoa, that came out alot angrier than I intended.  I don't mean to offend anyone, but I really and truly thought that the Shrek could kill a Sherman from any angle, no matter what.  Sorry for sounding meaner than I intended...

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09-09-2009, 12:09:08 »
that the faust dosent kill a sherman from front was intruduced late before the RC. but it was the same in FH 0.7 so it made "sense".

however i agree on the sometimes very wimpy panzerschreck performance. it should kill a sherman with 1 shot no matter what (unless you hit the version with the sandbags on the sandbags).
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 09-09-2009, 12:09:58 »
however i agree on the sometimes very wimpy panzerschreck performance. it should kill a sherman with 1 shot no matter what (unless you hit the version with the sandbags on the sandbags).

Certainly agreed.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #38 on: 09-09-2009, 13:09:15 »
I was under the impression that the faust and shreck both had the same penetration and that the shrecks advantage was range and reloadability.

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 09-09-2009, 16:09:26 »
the max. penetration of the panzerschreck should be better that on the faust, not much but enough to "feel" the difference.
but EU is right the main advantage is the increased range and more ammo.

however keep in mind the new and overhauled tank/gun/armor penetration-system in 2.2.
explaining this on teamspeak with voice took a dev 30 minutes (not a native english speaker so you might get it a bit faster but still you get an idea how complex this is).

it takes in account:
- the gun (diameter of the rounds, type of round, max penetration of the round, the speed of the round)
- the armor of the target
- distance to the target

then it calculates, in a quite complex way how much damage a round will do to a tank. depending on if armor penetration occurred, how big the difference between max armor penetration of the round and the actual armor penetrated is. etc etc. this then gets assigned multipliers that get multiplied by the base damage of that round (mostly depending on diameter).

and those are just the cliff-notes.

all those values have been selected from historical sources and now, ingame give a good representation (although somewhat tweaked) on how these values would feel in real.

however keep in mind that in REAL a penetrated armor could kill crew, ignite engine, or ammo or maybe do no damage at all. since this cant be simulated in this engine their are some discrepancies between what we can do and what not.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline MK

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 09-09-2009, 16:09:37 »
Another issue...anyone noticed that AT weapons does splash damage,this is accurate?

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #41 on: 09-09-2009, 16:09:04 »
Another issue...anyone noticed that AT weapons does splash damage,this is accurate?
Well, it is an explosive warhead.  Not as powerful as a dedicated HE shell, but still is quite deadly.

Offline verg_6

• Crusader MkIII for life (Until 2.2, that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 09-09-2009, 17:09:55 »
I'm all for 'fun' and whatnot, and do agree that too much realism can take any and all entertainment out of a game (like, for me anyways, the Operation Flashpoint games). However, it is complete bullcrap to be equipped with only one, solitary short-ranged (and I mean SHORT) AT weapon that was historically renowned for its killing capability and not have the ability to dispose of even a meager Sherman with a direct hit to the rear. That is just wrong. The fact that an infantryman has to show balls of steel to get so damned close to his target to hit it alone warrants a 1HK.

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #43 on: 09-09-2009, 18:09:05 »
I just played around with the faust on a local server and found the following:
Cromwells allways die in one shot nomatter where they get hit.
Shermans are 1 hit kills as long as you don't hit the front, the extra side plates, the tank tracks.
I found that I could hit a sherman but not 1 hit it from behind if the warhead hit bags resting on the engine deck.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 09-09-2009, 18:09:44 »
Panzerschreck had 210mm penetration, Panzerfaust at 200mm penetration.  So yes, teh schreck is slightly better...but both can rip through any tank in combat in WW2 with ease.  Also, remember that unlike an AP shell, the HEAT shell is firing a plasma torch through the armour, then when it enters the inside of the tank, the flame expands outwards, engulfing the entire inside of the tank in flames and incinerating the crew.