Author Topic: Project Reality Mod  (Read 75120 times)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Project Reality Mod
« Reply #705 on: 03-06-2015, 08:06:39 »
FH2 can never be like PR.

Not true exactly if you look at it from the very-unlikely-ever-to-happen point of view. If seriously dramatic changes were made to either one of the mods to bring them closer to each other, then yes, one could be like the other. As it stands right now in a more serious point of view, no, they wont be and never be like each other.

It's because while the theme is more vibrant FH2 was never designed for simple convenience and keeping newcomers on a more equal footing in mind,

And PR keeps newcomers on a more equal footing? I think the learning curve on both mods is seriously steep while in completely different levels. PR has this absolutely gigantic amount of set rules on how things work ranging from how to get specific kits, how to build up defenses, how to play certain game modes, how to actually hit people with your guns and how to get to the mindset of the mod as a whole. I'd say it is anything but having an equal footing.

However, Im not saying FH2 would be any better for a new guy. Things might be a bit more linear in a lot of things where PR exactly isnt, but the brutality of FH2 is what I see can be the most off-putting for a lot of people. While in PR you might go a round not dying or seeing anyone, not firing a single shot, in FH2 you are in the thick of it the moment you spawn. FH2's learning curve in my opinion comes from learning how to survive, how to kill and not be killed and doing all that without losing your goddamn mind while doing it.

while you can just join a squad, chat around and learn the game in PR, unlike the awkwardly frantic fashion of joining multiplayer in FH2.

That is a whole load of nonsense. You can join a squad just as well in FH2 and as you can in PR and do exactly what you describe. Difference is that FH2 being far more fast paced than PR, people dont always notice or have the time to answer to your chat messages. Joining squads can be as much of a bitch in both mods. Sometimes you find yourself a place straight away and sometimes you end up playing solo, or as in sometimes it is in PR, not at all as some servers dont allow lone wolfs (to my understanding anyways, which btw I fully support, loners can go find another game to play). FH2 is a lot more frantic and it can feel extremely overwhelming to a new guy just because of all the loud shit happening all over you all the time and with very lethal game world, it can be too much for people who hasnt got a thick skin, but PR can feel just as overwhelming and off-putting too when you have nothing but a snot-nosed helium voiced SL being all R.Lee Ermey on your virtual ass while you hump a dune doing nothing else for the 45 minutes.

Both mods got their pros and cons when it comes to new player experience and I wouldnt from my personal experiences go and say what would be flat out better for a newbie because quite frankly, in these times, everything seems overly complicated and unwelcoming to your average gamer.

---

What goes to FH2 going standalone. As long as theres no EA all of a sudden becoming extremely interested about how people are handling their abandonware, my opinion is hell yes. Would be great considering getting a BF2 can be a tricky thing these days. Im all for it.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #706 on: 03-06-2015, 08:06:54 »
Well my points come from personal experience. My introduction with PR couldn't have gone smoother. I set up a mic, chatted around a bit about the game, learnt how to build a fob and to take a kit, and the rest is no more complex or harder even, than what battlefield 2 was, except some details I didn't dare touch, to be frank.

But FH2 on the other hand makes you go mad if you don't know any vantage point or areas you can make a run for it or not, because the game doesn't even make a tiny attempt to make you backtrack your mistakes without having to die and start over, and if you haven't figured it out you are pretty much doomed from the start.

This is one reason why I hate linear maps in this game and Red Orchestra 2, they both never let you improvise and if you don't know any good spots people camp at it gets very frustrating easily, whereas in PR intel is a big part of the game and your communication is the deciding factor in your survival over you map knowledge...
« Last Edit: 03-06-2015, 08:06:13 by Airshark79 »

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: 03-06-2015, 19:06:00 »
Wow, that's A LOT of code written for PR.

IMHO FH2 going the PR route (as far as standalone is concerned) is the right thing to do, unless EA does something silly regarding that.

As for gameplay... No, FH2 should stay FH2, however integrating Mumble into the mod (and a few other features that PR got right, and FH2 still fails in) would be good to help draw some of the massive influx of PR players and get more people interested in it.

This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: 03-06-2015, 19:06:54 »
Mumble support would indeed be very cool.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: 03-06-2015, 21:06:50 »
This is one reason why I hate linear maps in this game and Red Orchestra 2, they both never let you improvise and if you don't know any good spots people camp at it gets very frustrating easily, whereas in PR intel is a big part of the game and your communication is the deciding factor in your survival over you map knowledge...

Ah, but the beauty of FH2 is exactly the raw chaos of a WWII battle. Limited intel, and very deadly bullets.  In the grand scheme of things, as a basic infantryman you are insignificant, and basically let to survive on your own, and at the same time your actions can have big consequences on the flow of the battle. There is a missing teamwork element in FH2 due to (barely) used BF2 teamwork mechanics and limited communication tools but it's kinda hard to take advantage of the more "gamey" features and stick to the level of historical accuracy and immersive experience the devs want to achieve.

I 'd also agree that "knowing the maps" is something that offers a bigger advantage in FH2 than PR, but I strongly think that's partially caused by some of FH2 design choices (such as nerfing MG suppression from the original vision and the limited places/mechanics to deploy heavier MGs that could suppress the attackers/defenders ). And while push/sector push maps with more focused flow seem to be all the hype lately, there's still a few classical conquest maps in the mod.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline MaJ.P.Bouras

• Masterspammer
  • A Hellenic version of Jackie Chan.
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: 03-06-2015, 23:06:22 »
Nope disagree, you are totally not insignificant. In FH2 a good infantry man or tanker can win a round. In PR even a good squad cannot win a round. The entire team needs to work together in order to win this.

Played 2 amazing rounds today (2 and a half actually) Top squad on every single one with pubbie players and 2 veterans from [F|H]. 10+ full servers on the list when i tried to join up!

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #711 on: 04-06-2015, 07:06:22 »
@Lucky,

I'm gonna rephrase it as always but

1.Rifle 1-shot on chest needs to go. It should maim pretty bad though. Rifle shouldn't be the deciding item in cqb over what lead to the close contact itself.

2. Minimal inaccuracies need to be introduced. These were conscripts with litte provision, not iron men like they're portrayed to be in the game, this will let people pour a bit more lead over taking one shot which is the average in a lifespan.

3.AP shouldn't one-shot personnel carriers. This is one big point, if we manage to disable(burning state in battlefield 2) the halftrack with one shot over killing it, the occupants will be in a disadvantageous position rather than dying out of the blue and this will fix a looot of problems in combat logistics.

4.Bren and mg42 damage must be on par with smg's. Yeah the bullets are bigger but with the accuracy these guns have it's hard to say there are ANY drawbacks of having them over any other gun in the game. Especially bren.
« Last Edit: 04-06-2015, 07:06:10 by Airshark79 »

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #712 on: 04-06-2015, 07:06:31 »
standalone
mumble
completely removing bf2 spot system

do it!  ;D
« Last Edit: 04-06-2015, 07:06:15 by 0utlaw »

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: 04-06-2015, 18:06:26 »
standalone
mumble
completely removing bf2 spot system

do it!  ;D

Can you go into more detail?

No more enemy spotted abuse or no more spotting entirely?

Also, would a standalone FH2 make modifying Commander abilities easier?

;)

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #714 on: 04-06-2015, 19:06:34 »
Probably not. It's not like the source code is revealed ^^

Offline 0utlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #715 on: 04-06-2015, 19:06:48 »

Can you go into more detail?

No more enemy spotted abuse or no more spotting entirely?

Well no more having the ability to spot an enemy, then teammates can view the enemy movements on the minimap. Although I used this feature since bf2 was released, I've always hated it was there. BF1942 only the player spotting would flash on the minimap, which was better imo. Did not feel as much of a ingame hack as BF2. Even markers placed by commanders/squadleaders that all teammates can view on the minimap would be good enough too. I think pr did very well by pulling away from bf2 features than FH2 has so far.

but this is a pr thread, so i wont go off topic anymore here
« Last Edit: 04-06-2015, 19:06:53 by 0utlaw »

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: 04-06-2015, 21:06:19 »
@Lucky,

I'm gonna rephrase it as always but

1.Rifle 1-shot on chest needs to go. It should maim pretty bad though. Rifle shouldn't be the deciding item in cqb over what lead to the close contact itself.

It is true that the survival chance was quite good, but you could not keep going as you can in FH2.

4.Bren and mg42 damage must be on par with smg's. Yeah the bullets are bigger but with the accuracy these guns have it's hard to say there are ANY drawbacks of having them over any other gun in the game. Especially bren.

Are you kidding me? Please just review this: http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/ir/img/bullets-x5-1.jpg

There is way more powder in a rifle cartridge than in a pistol cartridge. May I ask if you ever shot a fire-arm in your life? Just try shooting a full calibre machine-gun right before trying out a sub-machinegun and you will realise how utterly silly this request of yours was.

Offline Airshark79

• View Profile
« Reply #717 on: 04-06-2015, 22:06:58 »
Well, we should not forget that this is still a game and the damage these guns deal should not be the only factor we will take into account when designing how the players interact, we can see the problem about this especially when bren is as easy to use as a rifle on foot and it takes about 3 seconds if not less to get a bipod machine gun ready for fire even in uneven field. This is a broad issue and the core of the problem is that:

-FH2 has directly assumed the gameplay properties of FH without evaluating the drawbacks of the newer engine, the distances, the jerky motion, the sight range etc. etc.

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: 05-06-2015, 11:06:06 »
Yesyes we have heard it all before, we don't think etc, no need to taint every other thread with your 'opinions'.

No don't stray off topic anymore in this thread please.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: 05-06-2015, 16:06:27 »
Played 2 amazing rounds today (2 and a half actually) Top squad on every single one with pubbie players and 2 veterans from [F|H]. 10+ full servers on the list when i tried to join up!
WHY DIDNT YOU ASK ME, YA GREEK C*NT?!

I can imagine there's quite a number of newbies running around like headless chickens?
« Last Edit: 05-06-2015, 16:06:46 by Hjaldrgud »

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál