Author Topic: BF1943  (Read 16610 times)

Offline Toddel

• Administrator
  • Donate for the biggest BattleField Mod Supporter!!
    • View Profile
Re: BF1943
« Reply #30 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:49 »
They reduced the Player numbers to make destroyable Objects possible. you can only have a limited numbers of commands going to the server, that includes all informations all player must see, like playermovements, vehicles and destroyable objects or just Bullets. so if you want a Destroyable area reduce players ;) but imho i would prefere to play with more players in a static area as with less in a destroyable one.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 31-03-2009, 00:03:04 »
They reduced the Player numbers to make destroyable Objects possible. you can only have a limited numbers of commands going to the server, that includes all informations all player must see, like playermovements, vehicles and destroyable objects or just Bullets. so if you want a Destroyable area reduce players ;) but imho i would prefere to play with more players in a static area as with less in a destroyable one.
I agree. Or wait some years till we can have a bit more of both. Kinda when optic fibre is the standard connection I guess. heh.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 31-03-2009, 04:03:15 »
what are you guys talking about lol..?

Bf1943 is the next Battlefield game.... why do you say it isnt?... Battlefield Badcompany 2 is the one after that.... both are MODS on the Frostbyte engine - which is the future of Battlefields as we know it.

Bf1943 will be an awesome game, but Im looking more forward to BFBC2 and the title after that (BF3 perhaps).

When I said BF1943 is not the next BF game, I meant in terms of what BF1942/BF2 are.  BF1943, like you said, is a mod of the Frostbite engine, not a "full" game.  The next full battlefield game centered around multiplayer will be the next BF.

Battlefield: BC is more a Singleplayer game with smaller multiplayer options.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 31-03-2009, 06:03:40 »
Does the Forgottenhope Team intend on modding BF1943 when it is released??

Unlike most people here, I don't doubt, or even highly doubt that they will mod it.

They just plain won't.  There.

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 31-03-2009, 12:03:31 »
Natty, the issue with not being able to mod BF1943 is not somehow that it's 'new omg'. It's the fact it's a download-only game that will likely have various controls on it and will not have any mod support given its online focus, a la BF Heroes. That's why we reckon we can't mod it, not because we're daunted by new technology.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline Remdul

• Reverse Engineer
  • Administrator
  • Pie!
    • View Profile
    • ByteHazard
« Reply #35 on: 31-03-2009, 14:03:02 »
Correct.

One of the problems with the BF2 engine is that Dice hardcoded various features. These were hacked on in late in development to make the deadline. I'm assuming these have been properly implemented into Frostbite since, but there is no guarantee they will make the same decisions with BF1943 (or BF:BC2) in other areas. Just a few of these can ruin it for us. Then there's the issue with patches. If they'd release a patch that breaks the entire mod, we're screwed.
« Last Edit: 31-03-2009, 14:03:45 by Remdul »

Offline Niebler

• View Profile
    • 130th Panzer Lehr Division
« Reply #36 on: 01-04-2009, 05:04:33 »
If they were smart, and ever planned on releasing a 'breaking' patch, they should have a patch version loader when you start up the game, so you can either run the 'new one' or the older version to be able to use mods etc. Albeit this would be very stupid, not the first company to implement this feature.
Sig editted (oversize)

Offline Stevo

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 01-04-2009, 06:04:01 »
People here seem to have far too much trust in EA and their Developers.

When you get screwed over by a company that only wants your money for what is new without supporting what is already out, it's time to move on.

Take a look at Halflife 2. The game has been out longer than BF2 and STILL receives updates and fixes.

BF42' and BF2 no longer get fixes or updates at all.

Also, BF2's netcode is rather wonky when other games that cover much in the way of engine load work fine and over longer hops.

24 players? Eep!

Looks like no one wants to make the step towards a better engine. Reminds me of the American V8 that makes 170hp while European 4cyls make the same hp and then some. Some people are content to work with less.

Offline Kubador

• FH-Betatester
  • Flippin' Warbears since 1988
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 01-04-2009, 15:04:27 »
In these hard times for gamers all the games are going for looks, not content. Maybe someday...

In the horizon, blizzard is the company that still makes gameplay wise products.

Offline bolovoneichkamp

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 01-04-2009, 16:04:10 »
what are you guys talking about lol..?

Bf1943 is the next Battlefield game.... why do you say it isnt?... Battlefield Badcompany 2 is the one after that.... both are MODS on the Frostbyte engine - which is the future of Battlefields as we know it.

Frostbyte ofcourse is moddable... dont go crazy thinking "OMG its so new we can never mod it".

Question as Knoffhoff said is, is it worth it?... My opinion is: it isn't, not for us, not now.. for reasons I cant mention here..

Bf1943 will be an awesome game, but Im looking more forward to BFBC2 and the title after that (BF3 perhaps).

24 players, well so what really.. if the game is designed and the maps are optimized for it, then it works ofcourse... you can't go comparing it with BF2 or BF42 and say "omg only 24? that sucks" as it is not BF2 or bf42, it is a new game. From scratch made totally new. Sure heightmap terrains and influences are from older maps - doesnt matter at all. L4D has 4 players or 4vs4 - 8 players.. is it bad? No its awesome - designed and optimized for 4vs4.

I know where it all comes from: people are nostalgic and wants a "new bf42" that can give them (you) what bf42 gave you in 2002, that's not gonna happen. Game companies dont invest millions of dollars to revive players nostalgia, they do it to break new ice, push boundaries further and expand their IPs. Its business.
As long as DICE cant produce a new multiplayer FPS IP, they will use the Battlefield franchise to make all kinds of games, from cartoon free shooters to advanced "nextgen" games. You dont have to like all, but to say "its not battlefield" is just ridiculos, its like saying a QuarterPounder isn't McDonalds, only BigMacs are McDonalds.... nonsense.
Ill be buying all these games, if I will like them as much as I like FH2 or liked bf42 or BFV is too early to say, but Im not pre-judging them based on comparisons with other games... glhf!  ;D

That is the best answer i have read so far...im buying it and i hope FH Team  are able to Mod it

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #40 on: 01-04-2009, 17:04:51 »
Well, it sucks and I'm living with it.

Anyways while on the topic of the dead horse topic called the BF: Series (which ended at BF2/2142 for me) I know there is one more BF in development. The REAL battlefield 3.

They said they had multiple titles in development, 4 to be exact*, those are Battlefield 1943, Battlefield: Heroes, Battlefield: BC 2 and a Korean copy of BF2 for free to the Korean public.
Thats 4. But they said, in development by Dice. This Korean BF2 copy is 'made' by another studio.

This means BF3 is still there!

There is some hope.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 01-04-2009, 17:04:33 »
When I said BF1943 is not the next BF game, I meant in terms of what BF1942/BF2 are.  BF1943, like you said, is a mod of the Frostbite engine, not a "full" game.  The next full battlefield game centered around multiplayer will be the next BF.

Battlefield: BC is more a Singleplayer game with smaller multiplayer options.

It is a fulll game. It is as much BF as bf42 and BF2 is... You think bf1943 will be 3 maps, and stop?...  ;)
This is the next Battlefield, period. I understand that you (and many others) are waiting for the next mega-bomb a la BF3 or somehing epic, and consider bf1943 to not be "real"... you forget that bf1943 is a platform on which we will all be playing alot on, future releases and mappacks will all use it... It is not 3maps and then stop...

Frostbyte will be moddable ofcourse, at some point, but there's along time until enough titles are out to even start thinking about which FB title to build a mod on.. definitely not bf1943, probably not BFBC2 either, but the one after that maybe... Allthough Im guessing Bf1943 will be what we all will be playing for some time... with patches including western europe, russia or whatever they're adding later on.

I dont know if they have announced how many players BFBC2 will support, but as for the next 64 player game it can take as long as it want, we have FH2 for many years now and to play bf43 will be alot of fun, for that kind of fun/arcade shooter.

The truth is: the companies (dice) are lightyears ahead of you in their plans, for them it is not about creating this one epic game that will take over all the old titles and the #1 "BF" game. for them it is about branching this IP out, about occupying servers and players to play their games... Bf1943 is the next Battlefield game, period. If it is what nostalgics consider "true BF" or what not, is irrelevant. It is the new Battlefield game. BFBC2 comes after, also new. Bf1943 is more a real BF than BF2 IMO, if they would have made maps you didnt "recognise" you would think different, now you look at the overlay and see the outlines of Wake and make the assumption its a ripoff?... That is 0.001% of the game's content, the terrain on the heightmaps... all the rest is totally new. When people say "its not a real BF" or "its just a remake" etc.. I dunno if to laugh or cry. BF1943 is the first PC game on Frostbyte, its WW2, its 100% new.

Why whine?  :-\

Offline Kev4000

• Developer
  • FH2 "special" coder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 01-04-2009, 18:04:34 »
If frostbyte is moddable, some people will make a historically accurate mod for it. Be it FH or not. If its possible to up the player limit, people will.

Some people seem to forget something about BF1942's history. Dice never intended for it to be modded. People like Rexman and MuRa (if I remember correctly) cracked the model and archive formats which BF1942 used. It was only after the success of various modifications where Dice hired Rexman to make official development tools for it. If it wasn't for this, Battlefield 2 wouldn't be as we know it. Assuming Frostbyte is made in a semi-similar way to BF1942 and BF2, it will be moddable whether we must crack the file formats or not.

Anyways, Frostbyte seems like a big project for Dice. They'll likely be upgrading it for years to come (for new titles), and hopefully eventually add 64 player support for one title or another. If BF1943 is a huge success I wouldn't doubt them continuing making the entire of WW2 on the platform. However, they're prioritizing computer specifications a lot more. They're not setting out to make a "crysis" exactly. Which is why they have a player limit.

I can atleast say due to my general interest of modding, which I'm not alone with when it comes to FH devs, I'll be looking into the moddabillity of the frostbyte engine personally. I still find a switch unlikely, but you never know.

Offline Wilhelm

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 02-04-2009, 04:04:48 »
Why whine?  :-\

I am still going to buy BF1943 and I think it looks quite enjoyable!  :P

But in the interviews regarding the game, the developers keep saying that it is a small project that they decided to make after initially fooling around with the FrostBite engine.  They even said themselves that they do not have any plans on adding further content to the game.  Of course, they said if it is a success then they will probably add more maps and some other things, but I doubt on the scale that you described.

When I labeled it as not the next "real" battlefield, I meant in longevity and scope (community/mods/player numbers supported).  BF1942 lasted quite a while and had many mods and now BF2 has taken its place, of course with much less success in the mod sector in relation to BF1942 in its prime.

BF: Vietnam, BF2142, etc are all expansions of the "real" battlefield games...or maybe "core" or "central" is a better word than "real."  They are their own unique and separate/full games, but they do not have/ have not had the same  longevity and scope compared to BF1942 and BF2.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 02-04-2009, 16:04:09 »
Ah yes agreed with that... As it looks now I very much doubt that they will create an editor for Frostbyte to be honest... They honestly have no reason doing it. I think they rather make the mods themselves and sell them.
But sure, if any modmaker would want to do a frostybyte mod, it definitely has to be on a "real" game, that has many players.. Like Battlefield 3 or something.... Unless ofcourse Frostbyte is supposed to be like Source, so its enough if they own any FB title, and they can play the mod..

Then it starts to get really interesting  ;)