Author Topic: Bad admin  (Read 6108 times)

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Bad admin
« Reply #90 on: 18-05-2013, 01:05:22 »
This was an interesting read  ::)

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 18-05-2013, 02:05:09 »
Regarding to the rule, what if I want to take whatever spawns first?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 18-05-2013, 02:05:02 »
You just look if there is someone else waiting for it and then you will see whether you have to wait. It's that easy. Some common sense and communication can help alot too  ;)

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 18-05-2013, 03:05:26 »
I have to disagree with a few things said but everyone has their say. 

At various points, I would always just go to where the most players were.  Wolf, WaW, FH, HSLAN.  Whatever, I didn't care what the server name was.

But after playing a bit, I started noticing my experience on 762 was better than the others.   I had better ping elsewhere, but i stuck to 762 because on HSLAN and Wolf was constant TK's by trolls with no admins in sight.  That was my experience. 

Eventually, on 762, I noticed that tk'ers were kicked and the game went on pretty smooth and problem free.  At some point I noticed there were no north american admins, so, I volunteered and PM'd Odium out of the blue.  And I'm happy I did.

To date, I've only banned 1 person, and I can categorically say he absolutely deserved it.  Even then, I let him slide and didn't ask our head admin to actually enforce it.

I am glad 762 has done what it has done and proud of our admin crew.  We've made mistakes, we've kicked and banned some that haven't deserved it, we've had some internal conflicts, but, in the end, we are the guys making daily Fh2 play possible because we are trying.

Everyone on the admin crew, myself included, has basically screwed up at one point, but for the most part we've learned from our mistakes and try to do the best we can. 

Thanks for the feedback on bad admins.  In the future, I'd like to invite the public players to PM me on the 762 forums if they ever have a bad experience with an admin and try to act as a mediator and get any situation resolved so all parties can be happy.

If you feel you are wrongfully kicked or banned, please, register on the forums and make an appeal.  Just, be nice and hopefully you will get the same treatment back in return.   Most of us read them and plenty of private discussions go on about how fair a kick or ban is, and a lot of times, they are reversed because of those discussions.   There are people behind the scenes that quietly try to stand up for players and ask for ban reversals, so don't think we're all out to get you. 

Watchtower1001 @ www.762-ranking.de

"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline Kuupperi

• Professional spoilsport
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 18-05-2013, 09:05:10 »
And Kuuperi: you are mixing things up. You don't have to play on 762 and you don't have to play alone. But it takes some effort to reach this and that's the difficult part.

But technically I have to play on 762 or leave FH2. Every time I'm going to the server that has players and decent ping like I said I'm not into 5 vs. 5 matches on my previous message. No matter how long I wait alone a server wouldn't reach 64 players and 50 players is pretty much the mininum when it's still fun to play. No other server but 762 can provide this today due to the small community.

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 18-05-2013, 11:05:14 »
Exactly, because we put some effort behind it. And that's the difference to other servers and people know this. Neo and Knalli don't just set up a server and wait what happens. It needs some initiative by some people who make the people join their server everyday. I am not the guy who reached this but I appreciate the things that were done by other people and the 762 team as a whole. FlH and WAW did the same with their tournaments and servers, but yeah ... just waiting won't fill a server.

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 18-05-2013, 12:05:03 »
You certainly put effort into it and you do a good job at many things regarding this. And you are right that this is the major reason why most players sticked to you even when hlsan was up and the 128 server was not really there yet.

I personally never felt admins were needed that much on hslan as the community that played there simply differed from 762. I'm personally never in need of admins. When someone is doing something stupid, I won't let myself disturb by that and I don't feel the need to complain at admins, I just want to play, preferably with people I like and a good atmosphere on the server.

Especially new players want that there is someone that cares about them while playing, someone where they can complain, someone to ask questions to. So yes, it was your good effort you put into this and always having an admin on the server is a big part of what brought you where you are.

My point is that this should not make you blind for feedback or criticism and that you don't necessarily make everything right just because you have admins on the server which is something many people seem to like. I am not hating on you, my only goal is to criticise you and give feedback, because these are my opinions and because I believe the situation can be improved. As long as I think so, I will give my honest feedback, even if it does not sound nice to you.

Anyway, the community is indeed too small by now to stop playing because I dislike certain things about admin personalities, rules and server atmosphere. I like FH2 and it deserves to be played. Opening yourselves for the opinions of the FH2 community a bit more and being closer to the players is helpful as well though and something the FH2 playerbase deserves. You know, one thing I really liked about hslan admins was that they were simply players like you and me, that only used their admin powers if really needed and did not put themselves anywhere above the players.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 18-05-2013, 14:05:27 »
Just to make things clear: I'm not against 762, I'm not against their admins or anything. I just post here because I think the way the argument goes is wrong.

Another example:
Exactly, because we put some effort behind it. And that's the difference to other servers and people know this.
Before, when the other servers were still active, people had a choice. Since other servers died (which is imo not because of 762), the players who frequented those serves had to choose: 1) stop playing FH2 or 2) go on 762.

When I read here you, 5hitm4k3r, keep posting stuff like it is because of your wonderful work with the 762 team which has made it so. And that is simply not true.

Also you underestimate the power of habit. When people have played on a populated server and it crashes, only a part of those players will migrate to another server. So when 762 is back up again, some will go back because they know the population on 762 will be bigger. And no, that isn't because of the good admining (which I don't deny, mind you) per se. And then I haven't even mentioned players joining a server to advocate returning to 762, taking players with them.

This power of habit also makes people joining 762 again when the restart the game on a different day, because they think the chance of a fully populated server will be the biggest there. And rightly so, as most of them think like that ;)

But, like I said, something must be done right on 762, like I wrote:
Players will join for responsive admins, ingame and in forums. For rules that apply to each player the same.
Correct, but they will only join again if they had a good experience. The very first time a player joins, he goes to the either the most populated server, or to a server which has ranking over a server which doesn't have any ranking. In the past, you were the latter, lately, you are the former.

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 18-05-2013, 15:05:13 »
[...] You know, one thing I really liked about hslan admins was that they were simply players like you and me, that only used their admin powers if really needed and did not put themselves anywhere above the players.
We are not that way at all. ::)

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 20-05-2013, 14:05:38 »
Slayer your arguments are flawed imo. If one argues that 762 is the sole survivor of the FH2 public playerbase then it is absolutely due to the fact that the team behind put effort into it.

They administrated it, they added ranks(like it or not) and they put in the 128 code. That is dedication that was not seen on any of the other servers.
The power of habit you talk about is conditioned by the fact that players played there, could play there without getting crashes and apparently liked it enough to come back there and not go HSLAN, FFSA, etc.

I also switched at one time from HSLAN to 762 due to the fact that HSLAN was rampart with tk'ers, a map rotation that didn't make sense and no admin to change any of this.

With regards to the topic start. I haven't ran across a bad admin so far. Am I that lucky or is it maybe no so bad as people make it out to be ...

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 20-05-2013, 15:05:26 »
You also forget that we "half assed admins" fixed the objective mode to make it work, now you can play Hyacinth and Anctoville freely on our servers. 8)

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 20-05-2013, 20:05:00 »
Slayer your arguments are flawed imo. If one argues that 762 is the sole survivor of the FH2 public playerbase then it is absolutely due to the fact that the team behind put effort into it.
Again, I don't deny the 762 did an effort (you can see it where I quoted myself), but it is not the sole reason for it's current monopoly, it's a combination of factors.

Maybe I'm just talking of a little more time back, when the servers were more comparable in admin effort. Of course, when 95% of the hslan admins didn't show up anymore, the difference became obvious, because then hslan did next to nothing, and 762 did something.

For me it is flawed argumentation if something simply isn't correct, and to say that 762 is the only surviving server just because their admins are so good, is incorrect imo. It is just one of many reasons.