Author Topic: Pushing on  (Read 5811 times)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Pushing on
« on: 07-06-2012, 14:06:04 »
Push has been a standard game mode in both FH 1 and 2. Now we are proud to announce the next version of push mode:

Sector push

Sector push is a new game mode that will be available on several new and old FH2 maps. It was designed to create a new tactical experience in FH2 and has been applied to maps that required a true progression in order to work as intended. In the standard push mode, the attackers risk losing all their progress and be set back to square one if the defenders re-take all their newly aquired control points, whilst in Sector Push, they have a possibility to secure a certain stage (a sector) of the map. This mechanic is not prefered on maps like Siege Of Tobruk, which is a classic push map where we'd actually want the defenders to be able to reclaim their lines, but on maps like Falaise Pocket or Purple Heart Lane we rather wanted the action to move on.
A sector push map is divided into several sectors, each of which consists of two or more flags that have to be captured by the attacking team. Once they accomplish this, all flags in this sector are locked and the next sector is opened for attack. The task of the defending team is to hold their position and to mount immediate counter attack once a flag is taken. If it comes to the worst and a sector falls, they have to fall back and fight in the next.
Sector Push uses the same ticket system that was already introduced on Ramelle and Hurtgen Forest in Forgotten Hope 2.4. That means the attackers have to keep attacking until the last sector is cleared. Kills have but a small effect on the final victory, it is all about playing the objective and capturing or defending ground. This means that only aggressive and dynamic tactics will lead to success: there is no leaning back and camping it out on a sector push map!

Many maps have been redesigned to use this new game mode. In future dev blogs we will go into more detail about some of those. In most cases the loading screen description will inform the player that he is joining a Sector Push map, but in some cases only one sector has been added (such in the case of Pointe du Hoc, Supercharge and Operation Cobra) A sector is easily recognised in game by control points being locked with the red X icons, so a player will always know if he can or can not attack a control point.

Biiviz

Re: Pushing on
« Reply #1 on: 07-06-2012, 14:06:32 »
Sounds awesome.

Offline evhgear

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07-06-2012, 14:06:07 »
interresting, it looks like the rush mode introduced in Bad Company, it will probably attract some new players. Since it will be only on certain maps, I like the idea. I imagine that Hurtgen and Ramelle will be one of the firsts maps to introduce this new mode.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07-06-2012, 14:06:30 »
Cool, it's amazing how you guys always seek to improve things... Keep up the good work!  ;)
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07-06-2012, 14:06:47 »
Partybunker no moar? Awwwwww.

j/k, many of the maps could have used "irreversible push" tbh.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 07-06-2012, 15:06:57 »

Partybunker was getting older every day. Besides I always felt it was stupid that the devs spent so much time detailing areas of the maps that were rarely played (like the endbase of PDH or last flags of PHL). It felt like a waste. Now we might actually see some cool action there in regular 64 player maps not only in the rarely played 32p and 16p versions.
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Surfbird

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 07-06-2012, 16:06:17 »
Sounds really good. I'm corious how t's going to influence the gameplay. Depends on the maps if I like it. On some it's definitely an improvement. Let's see what maps you cange and how they play out. I don't think it makes anything worse, probably just different.

Offline DaWorg!

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07-06-2012, 16:06:06 »
Looks primising, i always enjoyed fighting retreat from 3 first flags on PHL as German
"The roar of engines, the recoil of cannons. That is where the true joy of battle lies."

Offline Wakain

• Why no Italian bias?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 07-06-2012, 17:06:25 »
it's odd, I was thinking about game mechanics for a possible upcoming pacific front last week that would suit american beach landings and the japanese defensive fighting style (retreat from the beaches + sudden aggressive counterattack, if this fails further retreat, eventually to a well-dug defensive line, preferably in or bordering mountainous areas, front stabilizes + probing attacks/harrasment, if all goes down the drain attack in force etc.) and came up with more or less exactly this kind of gamemode.

Anyway, it sounds like an exciting gamemode, fighting retreats and aggressive counterattacking ftw! This could also mean (depending on the map ofc) fighting will be focused (even) more!
« Last Edit: 08-06-2012, 14:06:48 by Wakain »

Offline Zulnex

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07-06-2012, 19:06:06 »
Sounds splendid. Keep up the amazing work Developers and Beta Testers. 8)

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07-06-2012, 19:06:14 »
Great work! It's always nice to see new gameplay changes and hopefully this will create more teamplay.  :)

Offline LtnGeorge

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 07-06-2012, 20:06:36 »
Sounds great,
We at world at war played with such a pushcode before.
It was on a custom map made by Lainer called MDI.

We will play this map again on the 16th of june I believe (it is one of the last maps in campaign 25)

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 07-06-2012, 22:06:38 »
 As a premise this sounds quite interesting. It should make for some newfound action in parts of the maps that we don't get to see often.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08-06-2012, 00:06:27 »

j/k, many of the maps could have used "irreversible push" tbh.

First off, thank you to the Devs for providing us this info and being diligent about posting the dev blogs. I know many members like myself have really been enjoying them. Second, I love partybunker, its one of my most favorite things to do in FH2. I will never give that up!!

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08-06-2012, 05:06:06 »
Thank you for keeping us up to date, and new game modes are always welcome.  :)
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.