Author Topic: My progress with SP development  (Read 5563 times)

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
Re: My progress with SP development
« Reply #15 on: 15-06-2012, 21:06:29 »
OK, if anyone is interested here my current news.

I'm looking at a solution to autobalancing bots when there are more than 96. I looked into the Python and it looks like a bug in autobalance.py (not a hardcoded exe problem). So someone on BF Editor dot org kindly wrote a possible fix. Still in testing. No promises as always, it may all come to nothing. But it would be nice to be able to balance teams when there are more than 96 bots as the FH battlefield get's so much more interesting with all the positions being filled and vehicles being used. Otherwise it's max 96 bots. Over that then the player could have interesting unequal fights with the other team  ;D.

One obvious thing I have not got to so far is to learn from the AI-Fu masters themselves, AIX2. There is smoke in there from tanks which seems to knock off AI missle lock from other vehicles. This could maybe be used in FH. But this is taking a long time for me to understand as I'm having to learn a lot about Python and other insides of BF2. But it's interesting  ;D.

Testing with my new mod to be called Hardware Accelerated Battlefield AI (HABAI) is progressing well. Splitting gameplay between cpu cores with the server and the client improves framerates and seems to improve AI performance because the engine is not having to scale down the AI to compensate for over usage of the CPU. In fact here is the new mod logo ...

Does anyone ever have nightmares about Nazi terminators send back to change the history of the 1940's ?  8)

An obvious idea, at least it was obvious when I realised this, is to switch Coop/SP maps in game ...

Clicking on a map initiates an immediate map change.

OK, enough for now.

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16-06-2012, 20:06:09 »
Keep up the hard work Barney!

I loved the terminator German haha. I don't think I'll be able to look at the SP bots the same way after that image...

"I'll be back, with a Panther..."
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Tuco

• FH lurker since 2005
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16-06-2012, 21:06:24 »
 ;D Awesome work!
If you have to shoot, shoot, dont talk.

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17-06-2012, 11:06:01 »
Great job DJ! Nice to see that you are still pushing along with others to improve the SP experience in FH2.
Your new GUI looks good! It blends well into the surrounding screen! Looking forward to testing it! Nice one on the Terminator Nazi!!   ;)  No problemo!

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 17-06-2012, 23:06:43 »
Thanks for the encouragement everyone  ;D

Keep up the hard work Barney!

I loved the terminator German haha. I don't think I'll be able to look at the SP bots the same way after that image...

Good. Glad you said that as that's the impression I'm trying to give  :D

"I'll be back, with a Panther..."

;D

Great job DJ! Nice to see that you are still pushing along with others to improve the SP experience in FH2.
Your new GUI looks good! It blends well into the surrounding screen! Looking forward to testing it! Nice one on the Terminator Nazi!!   ;)  No problemo!

Yes, BF2 Terminator Nazi's. Maybe the Terminator franchise should take this up as a new movie idea. I can see the scene now ... (after blowing off half or German's face) ... "Sarge ?... are you seeing what I'm seeing?" ... "Yep". Turns into the highest most secret, secret of WW2  :D

That's the normal in game map chooser as provided by DICE. As there is only one player in SP it can be configured to simply load whatever map is chosen straight away. But actually there will be a separate custom GUI to make it easy to load maps by choosing the level loading screen / screen shot / map which then starts BF2 and loads straight into the level. There will probably be separate windows short-cuts for each map as well.

Offline psykfallet

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19-06-2012, 14:06:53 »
No current AI dev.

How do you apply?

You can apply via email preferably containing some examples of your work. Alternatively, just send a Private Message to one of the developers using the public forums.

;)

Offline ww2fighter20

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20-06-2012, 00:06:43 »
Good job DJ Barney, I always like improvements on ai. :)

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-06-2012, 05:06:26 »
No current AI dev.

How do you apply?

You can apply via email preferably containing some examples of your work. Alternatively, just send a Private Message to one of the developers using the public forums.

;)

This is a fantastic post psykfallet haha I love it. Also, I couldn't agree more. If you're putting all the hard work in Barney, why not make it official!

Cost benefit analysis:
Cost: Time, effort, sanity?
Benefit: You'd be revered as a god by other FHers, your work will have a great deal of exposure, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing many people will be enjoying what you've worked on!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 24-06-2012, 15:06:32 »
No current AI dev.

How do you apply?

;)

This is a fantastic post psykfallet haha I love it. Also, I couldn't agree more. If you're putting all the hard work in Barney, why not make it official!

Cost benefit analysis:
Cost: Time, effort, sanity?
Benefit: You'd be revered as a god by other FHers,

your work will have a great deal of exposure, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing many people will be enjoying what you've worked on!

I've considered this and at the moment I cannot give enough time to be a full time FH dev. I would really want to live up to the very high standards of the FH mod and I just don't have enough time at the moment, only just enough for my HABAI. Maybe in a few months I can look at this again.

My HABAI mod got approved !

http://www.moddb.com/mods/habai

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 25-06-2012, 09:06:34 »
 Nobody is asking you to be 'full time'

also, if there is no AI dev, how can you be held to some standard that doesn't exist?

you should bite the bullet and join the Fh2 team. Do what you want, when you want and I promise nobody would pressure you into working faster than you would want to anyways.

By joining the team, your efforts would be appreciated by everyone who plays SP or COOP, would ensure that your hard work is appreciated and would also provide you with access to the resources that the greater FH2 Dev community could possibly provide.

I honestly see no point in a SOLO effort that only serves to divide what amounts to being a very limited player base. Most people do not visit MODDB or these forums, therefore your stand-alone HABAI would not even reach the greatest possible audience for your work.

My Quebec includes Canada

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 25-06-2012, 12:06:14 »
Give it a break, pal. I've already told you that I can't do it.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25-06-2012, 13:06:19 »
 No,

what you said is that you don't want to do it for reasons of self-manufactured excuse.

Like I said "do what you want, when you want to"
 So how is that pressure?
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Stubbfan

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25-06-2012, 17:06:43 »
looks like interesting stuff you got going on there dj barney, keep it up! :)

Offline Jimi Hendrix

• Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25-06-2012, 20:06:40 »
 Yeah, great job barney.

Are Bot Squads possible?

8)

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile