Author Topic: General SP in 2.25 - Where we are at  (Read 4112 times)

Offline kacklabbe

• View Profile
Re: General SP in 2.25 - Where we are at
« Reply #15 on: 09-01-2010, 17:01:21 »
maybe i try to re install FH

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10-01-2010, 07:01:35 »
Any chance of getting a file replacement that makes bot tankers fire HE again, WinterHilf? Or anyone?

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10-01-2010, 09:01:21 »
...Strangely, i found all airplanes are templated, with the new clivewil's Mustang soooo ready for SP use (only the unused P-47 i dunno)...
Yeah, being an AIX dev, everything clivewil makes is bot-friendly.

I just had a particularly shit day yesterday...no new maps and it took me hours to get on a US server, would've jumped on the AEF server but they were running bloody Africa maps... ::)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10-01-2010, 09:01:37 »
Well, I think I was a bit rash in judging the game's AI development up to this point. Further inspection actually made me impressed with some of the developments

We've seen most already in beta (Hopefully, WinterHilf and LegionX aren't regretting having shared this with us since we don't seem as impressed with them now as we should).

Its less about what's new and more about the little things. Save for the tank vs Infantry epic-fail, some tanks in the same map are coded to use mgs instead of HE which is lovely since you'll never know what they're going to hit you with. Now with the lack of HE firing tanks, Bizness' genius in this regard shines through... Will they fire at all, or will they spray. And with bots using UCs bettet than they use Jeeps, be afraid, be very afraid

But more impressive is the fact that all planes ingame are now with AI templates. I decided to toss Gazala into the mix and it plays without a hitch... No need to replace the Hurricane D with a Beau anymore... the bots can fly it right out of the hangar. And the deployable british gun is also coded now.

I thought I was going to be as impressed as I ever could be when I stumbled across Sidi Rezegh. It was the first map to be released with AI outside the originial stock and after too much time playing it, it seemed it couldn't impress me further... that's until I discovered that bots now use the underground bunker and I had to kill an MP40 wielding Jerry 2-floors underground before we could cap that flag :-) I literally had a tear in my eye affter that. And then once we capped all the airfield flags, I decided to quit... then I heard the German tanks rolling in :-D

Need I say more. Excellent work WinterHilf, excellent work LegionX... you guys know your stuff

that said, I think the Brit tanks are too overpowered since the have a Valentines and 2 Matilda's so they are able to take the fight all the way to the German main base and pwn it.

Perhaps an all round removal of bots attacking enemy uncap bases and simply staying put (As done in Luttich) will make defending bots act more reasonably...

Great Job guys...
« Last Edit: 10-01-2010, 09:01:33 by djinn »

Offline Jetu

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-01-2010, 09:01:08 »
I've noticed something after I patched 2.25, max bot limit in Coop was lowered to 32 from 48. Or rather, I put 48, and the game ends up putting just 31 bots in the match.  >:(

Anyone else get this?

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-01-2010, 13:01:57 »
I think you are right?! I went to COOP, pat my 1GB RAMed PC for assurance and dragged the dial to 48bots only to find 32 with only one squad for Brits and the rest for axis... I think it was Arberdeen... WHY?!

Also, Crete is now buggered - Most of the textures are gone.. Is it just me? My SMLE was perfectly black as was the parachutes and alot of the terrain including trees!

I decided to plug by BArdia beta 1 into the FH2 files and I just had a ball!
The bots actually used the Pak ?34/36 with ferocity and the 88s were booming throughout the game.. although, sadly pointing in only one direction.. The Italianos were counter-attacking on all fronts, and save for the early part of the battle, when the bridge base was double-capped the first time, the level flew without a hitch...

This map is excellent in SP and shows the bots for their total skill in 2.25... I wonder though, how it and Gazala didn't make it into the final release... they are all but finished from where stand

Offline cannonfodder

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10-01-2010, 14:01:34 »
I think you are right?! I went to COOP, pat my 1GB RAMed PC for assurance and dragged the dial to 48bots only to find 32 with only one squad for Brits and the rest for axis... I think it was Arberdeen... WHY?!

Dunno about your balance issue, but the bot numbers may have something to do with the weird aidefault file we now have...
echo *****************************************************************************************
echo AIDefault.ai ****************************************************************************
echo *****************************************************************************************

aiSettings.setNSides 2
aiSettings.setAutoSpawnBots 1

aiSettings.setMaxNBots 64
aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 1
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.4

rem To spawn more than 15 bots in SP, use the following lines instead of the three lines above.
rem Note that this is totaly unsupported, it will affect your system's performance
rem and may even crash your game. That being said, you will most likely be able to run a lot
rem more bots than 15 on your system.

rem Example for 32 bot game with expert bots

aiSettings.overrideMenuSettings 1
aiSettings.setMaxNBots 31
aiSettings.maxBotsIncludeHumans 0
aiSettings.setBotSkill 0.85

run BotNames.ai

aiSettings.setInformationGridDimension 32

run AIPathFinding.ai

rem aiDebug.draw 1

rem EOF
See what I mean? I changed the lower MaxNBots and Botskill values, and it worked (in SP, not Coop).

This map is excellent in SP and shows the bots for their total skill in 2.25... I wonder though, how it and Gazala didn't make it into the final release... they are all but finished from where stand
Have you been drinkin', Djinn? Bardia is in the final release...although that fence bug kills it... :(

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10-01-2010, 14:01:34 »
Bardia 16 is in the final release, what I replaced it with was trhe Beta of Bardia 64...baby! :-P

I just found out that Supercharge still CTDs... Got attacked by a guy on an Opel with Mg15 atop... the bots sure love them Mg15s now... he was camping my base and killed me once, so i respawn with AT rifle and take aim and fire... FIRE!... fire?....CTD... FuuuUUUU

Don't know if that's the cause of something else at the same time - My 'boys' all in tanks were attacking the main town so I can't tell... Also with only 32 bots and with bots never dismounting their vehicles, there are barely any infantry anywhere, meaninng, we get to a base, but I need to get there personally in order to cap it...

Also, while bots seem fine with some weapons in SOME maps, they don't seem to care for others in other maps.. For instance, a bot in Bardia.. 64... will camp a PAk34/36 and blast away at anything that moves.. but will never use any AT gun anywhere

I think bots who are idle should use the closest vehicle to them, static or mobile and stay on it.. And when attacked, they should run for the best weapon or vehciel for the job...

Also, German bots STILL don't use gabelte ladung :-(

And Commander AI for mersa Matru and Supercharge is still dodgy with commanders telling bots to cap rear bases once they have jerry onthe run

« Last Edit: 10-01-2010, 14:01:49 by djinn »

Offline Zoologic

• Masterspammer
  • In FH Since 0.67
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12-01-2010, 17:01:36 »
I agree with djinn's earlier post.

I think we judge the official SP release too early. Yeah, i got some maps crashed too. But it is less than before. Luettich is similarly unstable, Supercharge is unplayable, El Alamein more stable, and lastly, Aberdeen still crashes and unplayable.

Look at winterhilf's recent gift: fixed Goodwood. I had a great round there.

-bot is aggressive, they drive and man all stuff around and race to nearby post ASAP.
-when the German tank spawns, they brought it all quickly to Le Mesnil Frementel (front most post with 2 Marders). As if they have no difficulties crossing the railroads and underpasses.
-no stuck points, they all seemingly bug-free, except a few driving habit glitches (stuck in narrow pass, fences, etc).

And look at this: all original vehicle without crashing!

Sherman 2, the previously crashing vehicle with bots on it, they wander around for pretty long time. I crushed all German panzers (2 Panthers, 1 StuG40, 1 Pz4) with my Firefly before getting killed by a panzerfaust 30.

The bots are sometimes silly. This is Le Mesnil Frementel post and where one of the Sherman 2 spawns (besides Le Preiure). There is a StuG40 camping there and dozens of British bots (several of them inside a Bren carrier). They did nothing! The British bots dropped a lot of Satchel Charges as if it were a vanilla BF2 AT mines.

Right after i did a quick job on the StuG, suddenly a rush of 2 Hanomags arrived with half-full passengers. I killed both of them. One of the British bots managed to slip in a Satchel Charge and stole the kill score.

Overall:

It is a whole lot of improvement from the previous FH2.2

I also play Pointe du Hoc... it is as amazing as Djinn stated! They now ransack buildings, search houses, and fight inside the building! Big improvement there.

I then played Op. Hyacinth... it is also awesome, the advancing SAS bots never stops firing. The whole round was filled with MG, SMG, and rifle firing noises and explosions occasionally.

Clearly, a major improvement. Oh btw, the official Bardia, i replace them with previous FH2.15SP mod's SP packet (Navmesh and AI files only). It worked fine, as it did with 2.2, but they improve a lot more when crossing bridges and do more coordinated attack.

Kudos for the devs!
« Last Edit: 12-01-2010, 17:01:45 by ZooMotorpool »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12-01-2010, 19:01:10 »
Only slight negative is bot tankers not using HE, except those few tanks that use coaz mg, and bots no longer using mg42s, either tripod or bipod. They DO use mg34 tripod now...although I noted it only once in PHL at the opposite side of the road from the 88...

Oh, and their use of AT guns, including the 88 issue

But it plays pretty well altogether for infantry-infantry and tank-tank combat... ironically, the one that never had issues was plane-plane combat and that is still improving with planes attacking ground targets

Ironic, since planes are most hated in MP

Offline winterhilf

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12-01-2010, 23:01:05 »
Bardia is in the final release...although that fence bug kills it... :(
Yeah, it does.
Tried running the destructible fence statics in conquest only but that crashed the server, need to look into possibly putting an ai template onto a static object. :-\

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 13-01-2010, 00:01:05 »
Like the PDH guns?

couldn't they just bypass the fence - Go around it instead?

Offline winterhilf

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13-01-2010, 00:01:23 »
Tried that but it still confuses the hell out of the bots.
Had this trouble with vanilla destructible fences too on vanilla based maps *scratchhead*

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #28 on: 13-01-2010, 00:01:38 »
Put something by the wall that causes the bots to drop nades there and destroy the wall, thus solving the pathfinding problems?

Offline Desertfox

• Knowledge is power, and power corupts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13-01-2010, 01:01:32 »
Put something by the wall that causes the bots to drop nades there and destroy the wall, thus solving the pathfinding problems?
I just did it myself when I played