Author Topic: Zombie attack plan  (Read 2105 times)

Offline tanked

• View Profile
Zombie attack plan
« on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:35 »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8206280.stm

So all you whiny lefties were wrong when you said the problem could be contained - the only solution is to kill em all!

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
Re: Zombie attack plan
« Reply #1 on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:30 »
i find it frightening that someone would even propose such a study, let alone fund and perform it.

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:07 »
Idiocy has reached a new level....

Wasting time when they could be doing something useful.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:17 »
I've been stocking up on can food, ammunition, weapons, batteries and all sorts of things that might come in handy whenever that outbreak happens. I am prepared, in my fortress and I will shoot anyone who steps on my yard when an outbreak happens, alive or not. Trust no one!

Offline Cory the Otter

• View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:26 »
i'll have to come over to flippy's house, then.

i brought throwing knives and sniper rifles!

[130.Pz]S.Tiemann

« Reply #5 on: 18-08-2009, 16:08:39 »
....and I will shoot anyone who steps on my yard when an outbreak happens, alive or not....
Try it.....

Edit* Wow something only the Canadian government would fund

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-08-2009, 17:08:17 »
Just in time for Left 4 Dead 2!

Edit:  But really, they should have just read the Zombie Survival Guide or World War Z.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #7 on: 18-08-2009, 18:08:45 »
I perhaps don't consider it a waste of time, imagine the ease that a highly infectious disease could take hold of a country, first is looting and social disorder, then widespread panic and infection, mass hysteria and complete breakdown of morals in favour of selfishness.  Zombies are just a metaphor for human nature  - "I want I take" "It's not fair that I suffer, others must suffer too".  Rapid and decisive force against any hysterical threat be that humans infected with some diabolical disease, a swarm of euro-wasps, or even rampaging meerkats, decisive and immediate force would stamp out any pandemic spread.  Perhaps there is zero need to research it, - it's science in place of common sense.  

It's why I live 200m from a gun shop, large hardware store, supermarket (Super meerkats? Oh noes!) and auto trader with on site petrol station.  In the event of a Zombie attack I'm poised, like a ****ing chuck norris machine.  Weapon(s) of choice today = HazMat suit, chainsaw and samarui sword.

« Last Edit: 18-08-2009, 18:08:13 by von.small »
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:07 »
Problem with this is that the only organizations capable of coordinating forceful countermeasures are government militaries; what if an outbreak were to occur simultaneously in numerous parts of a single country? Or in a country with limited military means? The response among the average individual citizen won't be "kill them all!" More likely than not it would be "RUN THE HELL AWAY!"

I for one have spent several completely pointless hours over the past two years simply plotting what the ideal escape plan from Berkeley would be.

Offline Gl@mRock

• À vaincre sans périls, on triomphe sans gloire.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:10 »
I for one have spent several completely pointless hours over the past two years simply plotting what the ideal escape plan from Berkeley would be.

Having your diploma is the best way I guess...  :P

Offline Johannes

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:27 »

Having your diploma is the best way I guess...  :P

:D

I should have been prepared for that one.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:02 »
The more interesting question is: How would society look like after we survived an outbreak? Shaun of the Deads (hilarious) closing sequence springs to mind.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:38 »

Wait... you're not French?

Offline Cory the Otter

• View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:27 »
Gasp!

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18-08-2009, 19:08:36 »
The more interesting question is: How would society look like after we survived an outbreak? Shaun of the Deads (hilarious) closing sequence springs to mind.
Depends how much survive. If it is a reasonable part of the population, then it would be much like after a large-scale war. People are traumatized, and will mourn the losses of so many lives for a long long time, but life will go on, and rebuilding means lots of jobs and business opportunities so in the long the survivors would not be so bad off.

However, assuming a "typical" zombie scenario where the vast majority of population (95+%) bite the big one, well, after an overdose of bad 80s exploitation cinema, I feel that the end result would be something more like your usual post-nuclear scenario: basically, criminal gangs terrorizing everyone else into submission since there are no police or military to put them into place -- that is, unless the citizens manage to organize militias and fight them off. Most of everyone's time is consumed by farming, hunting and foraging - there would be no electiricity (unless you go on and start a powerplant all by yourself), no fuel (unless you distill enough ethanol), no logistics (see two previous points) to distribute consumables. In the northern latitudes, the winter will prove to be a challenge. On top of it, most people today don't have skills necessary to survive in a pre-industrial world, so population would drop even more sharply in short succession (depending on the wllingness of the skilled people to teach others). If the remaining few individuals manage to preserve knowledge, then increase their numbers until work specialization becomes possible again, then the civilization could slowly start rebuilding itself after some generations. But that's a big if, if you spend all your time surviving in the wild, then you might not have the time or interest to learn about "germ theory of disease" or "electromagnetism".