Author Topic: Plane supply drop option  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Plane supply drop option
« on: 27-03-2013, 20:03:21 »
Howdy,

I was gonna suggest something I saw in Experience WW2 mod. There are 2 options on a plane, one is bombs and one is supply crates. When selected supply crates and clicked right mouse button, the plane drops a supply crate with a parachute (basically the commander supply crate spawns behind the aircraft). and the locations of crates which hit the ground are shown on the minimap. Such as:

Plane dropping crate:

Note the little icon on the minimap:

I believe this could be applied to the map Invasion of Crete, and it would add a little pinch of more realism.
The XWW2 sytem is pretty roughly made, since the crate has a modern parachute, a plane can carry 8 crates, and the plane is a bomber. But it can be given to the Ju52 in FH2, right? It would have 2 or 1 crates...

Whadayathinkin'?  :)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Plane supply drop option
« Reply #1 on: 27-03-2013, 20:03:45 »
Good idea. I would replace the commander supplies with such system but it would limit them only to maps with planes.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27-03-2013, 21:03:36 »
So far, we only got Crete as a map this could be used. But if we ever get another paradrop map or something similiar...

Offline Roughbeak

• Science of Hooting, PhD
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27-03-2013, 21:03:04 »
It would be jolly spectacular if the devs can figure someway out for a real "jumplight", from red to green  :D

Offline Mattitatti

• Hyvä SaiPa!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27-03-2013, 21:03:39 »
Is this ww2 mod worth enough to try?

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27-03-2013, 21:03:55 »
I'm sorry but, what's the point of this again?

It made some sense in FH1 where there was no commander supply option, but now it's pretty pointless...

I'd rather have the devs working on something else... How about the old idea of adding vehicle drop to commander?
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27-03-2013, 21:03:23 »
 Most of the maps have had the commander radio nerfed or removed entirely so I think this should be done with any map with planes.

that and bring back the full commander experience (it was hella fun)
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27-03-2013, 22:03:18 »
I would just remove the comander completely, it has very little use in this mod and almost no one uses it.  The comander could be replaced with planes like this and arty could be called in with special binocs like in FH1.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27-03-2013, 23:03:54 »
Is this ww2 mod worth enough to try?
no.

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-03-2013, 00:03:58 »
I would just remove the comander completely, it has very little use in this mod and almost no one uses it.  The comander could be replaced with planes like this and arty could be called in with special binocs like in FH1.

back in the good, old days of Fh2 Africa and Italy, the commander function was impressive and powerful.

The Commander only became unpopular once it got nerfed beyond all recognition. In the old times, a smart commander could win gold and lead his team to victory all from the comfort of an armchair. Frequent supply drops,  powerful artillery and smoke barrages that could open channels of attack or clear entrenched enemy positions.

Nowadays, a commander is relegated to scratching his ass and eating sandwiches because that's about all they can accomplish with this mod now.
My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Pejsaty

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-03-2013, 14:03:44 »
Commander funcion should be removed completely. His arty is so lame and OP.... And supplying could be done automatically - without him...

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28-03-2013, 15:03:30 »
Nah, dont remove commander. I like it.

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28-03-2013, 16:03:26 »
Well haveing both a supply plane and a commander on one map would be a bit much.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28-03-2013, 17:03:33 »
Well haveing both a supply plane and a commander on one map would be a bit much.

Then we shouldnt have both of them on one map.

Dont want it to be removed because I like te commander artt and the radio static...

Offline DocHawkeye

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28-03-2013, 18:03:15 »
Commander mode was a good if flawed idea in BF2 that unfortunately was never properly elaborated and expanded upon in mods. It would be nice if Commanders could do things like detach vehicles and assets to squads. Or utilize some kind of C&C mechanic enabling or facilitating spotting, text and voice chat, or maybe ever point captures in some way.

Imagine if the Commander could "appoint" flags to be capped while uncaps can't be single handedly put down by lone wolfs.