Author Topic: Yet Another D-Day (BETA Release)  (Read 8683 times)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
Re: Yet Another D-Day
« Reply #60 on: 08-10-2012, 09:10:55 »
FH1 team did the same, both on Omaha and on Gold Beach, even Stalingrad! Becouse of the reason i stated above. It just feels right  8)
Both Omaha and Gold Beach were fictional in FH1 afaik so they aren't very good examples. Also, FH1 and FH2 teams are different. I said that it is common mistake mappers do and IT IS NOT a game breaker, just immersion breaker for many (take under considaration that FH2 players are specific and care about realism ;) ) . Some mappers say that it is because of that natural progression feeling some just blindly follow mappers before them. Another example of upside-down map is Stonne and it is a good map, so chill the fuck up offended kid.
Have in mind that if you stand anywhere, then turn around, you are still looking forward...
This argument supports my opinion as well, you know that?

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 08-10-2012, 09:10:24 »
reason 1: it feels more right on a beach map to attack upwards.
reason 2: if reason 1 for some people seem to fail, reason 1 kicks automaticly in effect.

you attack "up the street"  "up the alley" "up the beach" "up the whatever" get my point?  :D

and i can assure you, if a had made stonne the "right" way, it would have been horrible.
« Last Edit: 08-10-2012, 09:10:24 by Sn00x »

Offline Rabbit032

• By all means necessary.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 08-10-2012, 19:10:48 »
Updated first post with before and afters.

Pipe Hitters Union

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 08-10-2012, 19:10:54 »
Me gusta  :D

Offline [KamiKaze] Destroyer

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 09-10-2012, 14:10:15 »
Rabbit, if you dont release this map i will be sad ;P This map will definetly gain my vote for next map pack =)

I said that it is common mistake mappers do...
Calling someone's intentional decisions mistakes is rather an subjective opinion...

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 09-10-2012, 14:10:05 »
Calling someone's intentional decisions mistakes is rather an subjective opinion...

So is your opinion. If we compare the real life map and this map, then the cardinal points won't match - it's a mistake, if you're trying to make something based on real life. It's a factual error. Doesn't matter if it was designer's decision or God's fuckin will, it is a 'mistake'. One that doesn't break the gameplay, but if you lived there and knew a little bit of Geography, then chances are you would find it weird.

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 09-10-2012, 15:10:58 »
So is your opinion. If we compare the real life map and this map, then the cardinal points won't match - it's a mistake, if you're trying to make something based on real life. It's a factual error. Doesn't matter if it was designer's decision or God's fuckin will, it is a 'mistake'. One that doesn't break the gameplay, but if you lived there and knew a little bit of Geography, then chances are you would find it weird.

Well, then i am glad the makers of those great FH1 maps i mentioned made this error, even through they did so intentionally probobly =)

Real war is not fun, really. War games are fun through. People that live there are probobly 0.01% of the whole community if they even exist here. If we made the map 100% realistic one would end up digging trench for 20 hours, then when one was finally done, he would get shothead killed while drinking tee, that would be rather boring experience.

About ingamemap, like Rabbit said, the north-south is more likely to be decided by Sun location then how you hold your map, there is no north and south written on the ingamemap. As when you are running up the beach you are more likely going to turn your map up to where you are walking forward. That is why you have a tool called compass, becouse the map itself is local map that can be rotated freely. Its not like you are thinking to yourself "where is America from the beach if i hold my map this way, left or down?". Earth is round not flat like on a atlas map!

Now if we look at maps like those mentioned, Omaha, Goldbeach, Stalingrad. All of them are where one side is attacking and other defending. It is natural that the map is turned this way, as it is those that attack that would prefer it that way, that is how they would probobly turn their map when they walked up the beach forward. Defenders dont really need to go anywhere, therefore for them the map is of less importance, therefore it is also natural to favor attackers with the map rotation.

Rabbit, if you really want i suggest to put a compass on side of the map or something with correct North there... Not that it really matters, but at least it will be clear that it is not an error, rather a choice  ;)

And overally, i would say that the map rotations are a mistake of FH2 developers on many maps rather then the other way... But ofcourse, we all got our opinions =)
« Last Edit: 09-10-2012, 15:10:44 by [KamiKaze] Destroyer »

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 09-10-2012, 16:10:55 »
Real war is not fun, really. War games are fun through. People that live there are probobly 0.01% of the whole community if they even exist here. If we made the map 100% realistic one would end up digging trench for 20 hours, then when one was finally done, he would get shothead killed while drinking tee, that would be rather boring experience.

There's realism.. and then there's realism. You are not gonna get "realism" in all aspects of the game, well, because it's a fricking game. But there are certain things, features, that should be kept true to life.

About ingamemap, like Rabbit said, the north-south is more likely to be decided by Sun location then how you hold your map, there is no north and south written on the ingamemap. As when you are running up the beach you are more likely going to turn your map up to where you are walking forward. That is why you have a tool called compass, becouse the map itself is local map that can be rotated freely. Its not like you are thinking to yourself "where is America from the beach if i hold my map this way, left or down?". Earth is round not flat like on a atlas map!

Now if we look at maps like those mentioned, Omaha, Goldbeach, Stalingrad. All of them are where one side is attacking and other defending. It is natural that the map is turned this way, as it is those that attack that would prefer it that way, that is how they would probobly turn their map when they walked up the beach forward. Defenders dont really need to go anywhere, therefore for them the map is of less importance, therefore it is also natural to favor attackers with the map rotation.

There actually are cardinal points on the map... well, not on the map itself, but there's a compass right under it. And if you say you're likely to turn the map in the direction you're walking, why don't you enable the dynamic minimap in the game then? Because that's a feature in the game, you know that right? If you enable that, the map turns to where you walk... so for defenders the attackers would come from "north" and for the attackers the map would show they're walking "north" as well. Win-win. With that in mind, the static minimap should be a map where the actual north is top of the map.

I know this won't get changed on any of the existing maps, because it would require redoing the map basically from scratch. It's only an opinion of some of the people out there that can be taken into consideration by mappers in the future.

Offline Rabbit032

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 09-10-2012, 16:10:23 »
Can you two just kiss and make up. Destroyer, as he said its not going to kill the game, also like I said, it wasn't even meant to be released in the first place.
Pipe Hitters Union

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 09-10-2012, 17:10:28 »
There's realism.. and then there's realism. You are not gonna get "realism" in all aspects of the game, well, because it's a fricking game. But there are certain things, features, that should be kept true to life.

Map rotation is definetly not one of those =)

There actually are cardinal points on the map... well, not on the map itself, but there's a compass right under it. And if you say you're likely to turn the map in the direction you're walking, why don't you enable the dynamic minimap in the game then? Because that's a feature in the game, you know that right? If you enable that, the map turns to where you walk... so for defenders the attackers would come from "north" and for the attackers the map would show they're walking "north" as well. Win-win. With that in mind, the static minimap should be a map where the actual north is top of the map.

Dynamic minimap just creates distraction. You are not turning your map every time you turn around, you are keeping it to the direction of the target ;)

I dont agree about north must be north on mini-map. Its secondary, most important is that the map is easly accesable for the ones that will use it. Running forward on the ground and backwards on the mini-map is just akward  ::)

I know this won't get changed on any of the existing maps, because it would require redoing the map basically from scratch. It's only an opinion of some of the people out there that can be taken into consideration by mappers in the future.

I hope not! Ofcourse it depends on the map, if the map is more "open game play" where no push is present, then it doesint really matter. Assault maps, like Omaha & Stalingrad (if its done in Omaha style like FH1 Stalingrad) should definetly keep the "normal" way of doing assault maps =)

Offline Rabbit032

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 11-10-2012, 22:10:53 »
Back on track now that destroyer helped me with some troubleshooting.

« Last Edit: 12-10-2012, 03:10:53 by Rabbit032 »
Pipe Hitters Union

Offline Rabbit032

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 17-10-2012, 00:10:28 »
Out of curiosity, do people here like my original layout more, or a more accurate version?

Obviously this version hasn't been worked on much, just a rough outline right now.

Pipe Hitters Union

Offline Neighbor Kid

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 17-10-2012, 15:10:32 »
I think its time someone created this puppy for this map!

http://i52.tinypic.com/245iq1l.jpg
My Day Begins When Your Days End

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 17-10-2012, 19:10:13 »
Out of curiosity, do people here like my original layout more, or a more accurate version?
If you mean with original and more accurate the two versions which are called "original" and "current" in your first post, then I like the "current" version better, but the lighting is better on some of the shots of the "original" version, but I assume that is WIP.

Offline Rabbit032

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 17-10-2012, 21:10:40 »
Actually its current against the recent pictures I posted of the beach. I removed the trenches, bunkers, long anti-tank wall and placed most of it on the bluffs. I also made the bluffs less of cliffs and more of an actual bluff.

These last 3 pictures are actually more accurate to what dog green looked like.
Pipe Hitters Union