Author Topic: commorose questions.  (Read 1454 times)

Offline CosmonautVince

• Ef god dun exits, den how ded I Cosmonaut?
    • View Profile
commorose questions.
« on: 28-07-2011, 21:07:05 »
So i was playing single player today. And being the great strategic leader that I am (ahem) I ordered my squad to follow me as I charged blindly into a crowd of british, only to find that they had gone after a flag instead and ignored me. I spent the rest of the game fragging my disloyal robot friends :) anyway. I know the python was broke a few releases back, but has there been any progress in getting the bots to follow the commorose commands?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
Re: commorose questions.
« Reply #1 on: 29-07-2011, 00:07:58 »
Hi. Sorry to say, but at the moment there is not a sollution for the commo rose problem. But I think the devs are on it in general, because it is also needed in the multyplayer. And as Remick mentioned in another threat, the whole singleplayer/coop will be worked over, to create a complete new experience. I think, that the commorose will be an important part of it. ;) 

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-07-2011, 02:07:20 »
I look forward to it :D
« Last Edit: 29-07-2011, 03:07:30 by VC24 »

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10-08-2011, 18:08:48 »
I was using the binoculars to auto spot enemies. That part still seems to be working ... at least the little red spotted makers appear on the map.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10-08-2011, 22:08:45 »
Its like a tree with roots and leaves. The leaves are the commander bit (Parts that use the commander interface) and the roots are the part that connect to the followers (the bots). Move here, etc is commander control, while root functions like voice-overs are squad control. Anything that is commander-function like enemy spotted (Which btw doesnt cause bots to do anything different), work. Those that have to do with direct control of bots using Squad Leader function DON'T.

Once the commo-rose was changed, the roots were ripped right off. Need to be re-attached

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-08-2011, 00:08:02 »
Even the vanilla bf2 bot responses to commands were decent. Not wonderful but intelligable. Playing singleplayer right now is kinda like being the fat kid with glasses at school. Nobody wants to be your friend or cares what you say. Lol

Offline Michael Z Freeman

• The Few are many ;)
    • View Profile
    • Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 13-08-2011, 12:08:14 »
Python is'nt that scary (at least, I think the problem is a Python one here). I was just helping with a Python script for Blender so BF2 Python might make more sense to me now. Unless FH devs get there first ... good for me if I look anyway.

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-08-2011, 01:08:21 »
You has our support!  ;D

Offline Raziel

• Bullet Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-08-2011, 08:08:10 »
Sometime ago I tried fixing the com. rose. Had managed to get my squad to attack defend and follow but that's it! + not all bots in my squad obeyed or acknowledged the order.
I just looked at the vanilla files related to comms and mimicked them for FH2. Unfortunately there have been quite a number of structural changes between vanilla comm and Fh2 comm so if you paste the wrong command in the wrong slot - instant crash when you call the voice command.  :-[

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17-08-2011, 11:08:49 »
I am happy someone is at least tinkering with this. I think it will take a concerted effort like Smokescreen or ESAI to get this one working right. But it will make a big difference to AI. I hate the fact that reviewers still see SP/COOP as nothing more than a training ground rather than a separate completely different game mode.

Battlefield Vietnam, arguably had the best Communications for AI with bots able to follow you come what may. I hope we get to that standard.

Offline CosmonautVince

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17-08-2011, 13:08:42 »
I never noticed the ai on bfv, I was too busy spamming bazooka fire on everything. Ah to be 12 again lol. But the fact that vanilla commo rose worked intrigued me. What version were you testing this on?

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-08-2011, 14:08:45 »
Sometime ago I tried fixing the com. rose. Had managed to get my squad to attack defend and follow but that's it! + not all bots in my squad obeyed or acknowledged the order.
I just looked at the vanilla files related to comms and mimicked them for FH2. Unfortunately there have been quite a number of structural changes between vanilla comm and Fh2 comm so if you paste the wrong command in the wrong slot - instant crash when you call the voice command.  :-[

I think it is a good step forward, that the bots will follow these orders, since they are the most important ones. We need only the "Get in/get out" command for vehicles, and we are good to go. These are the commands I used a lot in v.BF2 and it worked quiet well. So if we can add your comm.rose tweaks to the current SP/Coop version, it would help a lot.  :)

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17-08-2011, 15:08:40 »
Don't forget 'Request pickup'... Bots will both use it AND respond to it, meaning you will then get full vehicles moving to the front. BF2 uses that too.

Offline ksl94

• British Imperialist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22-08-2011, 15:08:42 »
Guys I think I might have just had an epic idea-with a fixed commo rose, the bots follow the player if requested to do so, right? IRL a squad ought to stay together at all times (usually)... If we could get the bots to simply follow the player by enabling that command permanently, that would mean, that in SP/COOP you could actually have a working squad/fireteam!  :o
If I am wrong, then please correct me, but I think, that this could be a milestone regarding AI behavior!

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22-08-2011, 15:08:06 »
Good thinking - BUT - As far as I recall, they will FOLLOW you, never be in front. When you stop, they do too.

Its actually hard to make AI follow a player and still be infront, and they dont do that in BF2.

But I like how you're thinking. I think the first step is to get the commo-rose code matched back to the vanilla one, and then we can start from there.