Author Topic: The Minor Suggestions Thread  (Read 65338 times)

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
Re: The Minor Suggestions Thread
« Reply #600 on: 12-06-2018, 21:06:42 »
I've asked this before, but I thought I'd throw it out there again; is it possible with the BF2 engine to give points for giving other players ammo etc, like with repairs and spotting?

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #601 on: 12-06-2018, 23:06:12 »
Yes, that's a vanilla feature.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: 13-06-2018, 09:06:50 »
Now that we're talking about tank repairs, I'd like to see Repair Stations like the ones there use to be on BF1942

Any chance to see them on FH2?

This. Bigger and smaller field werkstatts/repair shops (or none at all), depending on the map. On a bigger, you could get multiply vehicles repaired while on a smaller they would be queued (also, ideal targets for artillery and air attacks - like it was during the WWII; esp. certain German units lost majority of their vehicles left at werkstatts).
« Last Edit: 13-06-2018, 15:06:39 by nysä »

Offline |7th|Nighthawk

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: 14-06-2018, 09:06:27 »
In the main base or somewhere on the map? If so, I already predicts cheeky mines on the exits but if it's in base, noone will ever use it. FH gameplay is too fast to warrant a retreat back to base for repairs, I would say.
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #604 on: 14-06-2018, 10:06:49 »
In the main base or somewhere on the map? If so, I already predicts cheeky mines on the exits but if it's in base, noone will ever use it. FH gameplay is too fast to warrant a retreat back to base for repairs, I would say.

Maybe some of the exisiting buildings (sheds, garages) could be turned into smaller field repair shops, as you capture the flag?

Offline Mr.ThunderMan

• View Profile
« Reply #605 on: 15-06-2018, 01:06:21 »
Logistic trucks (transport trucks) could drop a repair station like in PR(?).

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: 15-06-2018, 03:06:40 »
The idea of repair stations would be interesting if tank gameplay was overhauled. Right now I agree with Nighthawk that gameplay just doesn't warrant it.

The ability to have people sit on your tank and repair, the ability to jump out and repair to full health makes it so you don't need one.

Now if we had a more intricate system, where repairing with a wrench could only get you 50% or something and you couldn't have people sit on the tank to repair, then the ammo truck and supply crates and an actual repair station could come into play.

Offline blander

• View Profile
« Reply #607 on: 15-06-2018, 05:06:19 »
IMHO there are many nice things that could be changed. The problem comes, as Matthew_Baker says, when the current balance is broken.

The game has limitations. Here are a few examples.

Tanks can be considered weak against the infantry because:

1) They cannot destroy any static buildings in which the infantry hide.
2) Spawnable AT kits. A regular soldier can respawn with an AT weapon soon after being killed by the tank.

Tanks can be considered strong against the infantry because:

1) A single person does everything: driving, shooting, spotting, communicating. Reactions are very fast.
2) Turrets move faster than in real life.
3) They can get fully repaired in the middle of the battle in just a handful of seconds.
4) They respawn fairly fast. There is no major punish for losing a tank.

I think that in these kind of matters, a balance should be kept. For example, if wrenches repair up to 50% then infantry AT kits should be more limited to compensate for the lowering of the tank´s value. If repair pads at mainbase are to be used then double (at least) tanks´ respawn time (to make driving back to main worth the lost time) and limit even more the availablity of AT weapons to compensate the fact that tanks will become more rare in the battlefield.
« Last Edit: 15-06-2018, 05:06:02 by blander »

Offline nysä

• View Profile
« Reply #608 on: 15-06-2018, 08:06:14 »
Valid points there. I meant repair stations as a more "realistic" alternative to the magic wrench but I see that would require some serious overhauling like Matthew Baker and blander pointed out.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: 15-06-2018, 18:06:31 »
Valid points there. I meant repair stations as a more "realistic" alternative to the magic wrench but I see that would require some serious overhauling like Matthew Baker and blander pointed out.
Unfortunately, this the issue with most of the suggestions in the this topic at this point. Every aspect of the game is connected with something else, and pretty much set in stone after so many years of mostly unchanged game-play mechanics. One change like that will affect the balance of whole mod, as it will also affect the map designs, which are often created with current gameplay mechanics in mind. Changing one thing will result in a need of complete overhaul of other aspects, it's a bit like a chain reaction and every little detail has to be very well thought before anything can be changed. Unless it's an actual MINOR suggestion :P

Offline GeoPat

• View Profile
« Reply #610 on: 16-06-2018, 00:06:39 »
I would like to see more destroy-able buildings.
BattleGrounds Frontline, a BF2 mod, uses a lot of them.  There is a map where you can destroy almost all the houses in the village.  I think most people's computers can handle that nowadays.

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: 16-06-2018, 12:06:40 »
What about adding chairs, tables, or boxes that can be moved in houses.  I figure they can serve at least two purposes, one being able to use the item to see out of some windows that are just to high.  A second purpose would be to use the items to build a "wall" to hide a squad leader behind (of course a well placed grenade would blow that plan to pieces lol)

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: 16-06-2018, 13:06:39 »
yeah, and what about cushion bunkers or snowball fights on winter maps?

Offline Chad1992

• Back in the Swing of Things
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: 16-06-2018, 23:06:47 »
yeah, and what about cushion bunkers or snowball fights on winter maps?

Offline McCloskey

• Developer
  • Heart or head, either way Jerry's dead!
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: 16-06-2018, 23:06:05 »
please PLEASE add more tickets to Lebisey and Luttich... they're cool maps, I like them but today a game on Luttich didn't even last 15(!) minutes before the tickets ran out.. game on Lebisey was just shy of 20 minutes.