Author Topic: Carentan  (Read 5396 times)

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: Carentan
« Reply #15 on: 13-09-2009, 20:09:30 »
Blah, band of brothers Carentan....barely mentions that they faced only one company of FJ, and doesn't mention at all that the very company that stubbornly held that town also counter attacked repeatedly, and despite their lack of strength, almost forced the Americans out multiple times....

The wehrmacht sure was well trained, but thank god they didn't win the war.
However i still think it would be fun to play a map that would be almost as identical as in the movie.

Problem is that this is a realism game, while the TV show was not, and showed it in pretty poor light compared to the day long struggle that it was, not jsut a battle for a single building....  That single company of FJ put up a nasty fight.  As FH2 is a REALISM game, not a TV show game, I think it would be best to not base any possible Carentan map around a TV show, and instead base it around what actually happened.

Hell, I don't even know how one can enjoy the TV show's account, considering its basically a big middle finger to the 101st paratroopers who died in Purple Heart Lane, Cole's Charge, and the battle to take Carentan, all of which it either makes into a short skirmish (Carentan), or completly and utterly ignores (Cole's Charge, Purple Heart Lane).

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13-09-2009, 21:09:04 »
Hell, I don't even know how one can enjoy the TV show's account, considering its basically a big middle finger to the 101st paratroopers who died in Purple Heart Lane, Cole's Charge, and the battle to take Carentan, all of which it either makes into a short skirmish (Carentan), or completly and utterly ignores (Cole's Charge, Purple Heart Lane).
Well, it's like that for every battle in the show, not just Carentan. If they added all battles in detail, you'd end up with like 50 episodes...

Offline General Tso

• Head Chump
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13-09-2009, 21:09:20 »
I'd want Carentan be as irl and not as it was in BOB. If BOB's carentan is realistic, then be it.
I just finished reading Sgt. Don Malarkey's memoirs and he said their battle in Carentan wasn't anything like the TV show.  Intense but brief battle.  Winters did run around out of cover yelling at the company to get moving into the town, though. 

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-09-2009, 21:09:07 »

Problem is that this is a realism game, while the TV show was not, and showed it in pretty poor light compared to the day long struggle that it was, not jsut a battle for a single building....  That single company of FJ put up a nasty fight.  As FH2 is a REALISM game, not a TV show game,

Lol.

No but seriously I'd like to see more of the numerous french towns that were fought over portrayed in maps.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-09-2009, 22:09:33 »

uhm, BoB is about the 506th, in phl it was the 502nd, that's why they didnt show it..
And BoB is the biggest tribute to the soldiers in the 101st ever made, seriously, I dont think you'll find a single person on earth who would consider it a "middle finger"... jeez.... you don't think HBO know what they're doing?.. Carentan gets a whole episode, it isnt a skirmish.... It is 60 minutes of the absolute best WW2 motion picture ever made, I have watched it over 10 times...

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13-09-2009, 22:09:16 »
Wouldnt go as far and say "absolute best". Its good of course... but...

Offline SJonni

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-09-2009, 22:09:28 »
I'd want Carentan be as irl and not as it was in BOB. If BOB's carentan is realistic, then be it.

Just as i'd like a realisitc Omaha version :S But, the BoB Carentan entrance doesn't really look like the real life entrance.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13-09-2009, 22:09:07 »
Well Lobo said it already that if/when Omaha gets done (by him, I might add, as he said he would do it), it would be like a real deal.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13-09-2009, 22:09:11 »
Is Lobo mapping something atm?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13-09-2009, 23:09:28 »

I dont think you'll find a single person on earth who would consider it a "middle finger"... jeez.... you don't think HBO know what they're doing?.. Carentan gets a whole episode, it isnt a skirmish.... It is 60 minutes of the absolute best WW2 motion picture ever made, I have watched it over 10 times...

Odd, the Easy Company vets I met in January, including Don Malarkey, didn't like the series when I asked them about it.  They didn't like the way it showed the combat, and the way it changed events, and other technical and historical problems.

Offline Meadow

• You still might very well think that
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13-09-2009, 23:09:31 »
Ditto. A history teacher at my school met one of the Band of Brothers vets a couple of months ago (I unfortunately can't remember his name) and he said, to quote 'that thing is 95% fiction'. He was not impressed with the 'tribute' to the war, the 101st as a whole, or the men of Easy Company as soldiers. So yeah, I'd say it's not a great tribute to them.
Sustainable business practices are not endorsed by FileFront

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14-09-2009, 00:09:19 »
Yep.  Apparerntly the show wanted to also take the same route SPR did with the germans, and show them all as evil nazis.  The vets had to lobby hard to get the surrender speech at the end put in, and Malarkey was disappointed when one instance that happened to him was cut from even being filmed, where he tumbled through a hedge, to see a german with a MP-40 about 10 yards away from him, coming the other way.  They both pointed and aimed, and both their SMGs went click.  They stared at each other, meeting eyes, and nodded to each other, before backing away and going their separate ways.

Offline Havoc2090

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14-09-2009, 00:09:33 »
even i didn't like band of brothers that much nor did i like saving private ryan, movie directors that try and make war films historically accurate fail with a passion!, unlike Sands Of Iwo Jima directed by none other than clint eastwood who actually made the film historically accurate and awesome yet also tributing the heroes of iwo jima!.

also BOB's makes us brits look really stupid especially that bit with the cromewells and shermans and the infantry spot that tiger tank in the hay besides a house, if i was that tank commander i would've fired a shot through that hedge or something...i hate films that make us brits look like idiots!!, britain was a proffessional army!! and still is!!.

and wow, 2 enemies facing each other with SMGS and not killing each other :O
We haven't the proper facilities to take you all prisoner! Sorry!, We'd like to, but we can't accept your surrender! Was there anything else? - Quote from A Bridge Too Far

Offline Archimonday

• Sir vis pacem, para bellum!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14-09-2009, 01:09:27 »
If you ask me the films made Brits look evil. I can recall a scene from the ending of one of the episodes where two British officers drag an enemy soldier out of a barn and shoot him on sight.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 14-09-2009, 01:09:27 »
No, those were French troops.