Author Topic: Why Was Flamethrower Removed From Luttich, Op. Cobra and Brest?  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Professor Anthrax

• View Profile
Hi,

It's your friendly neighborhood pyromaniac, Professor Anthrax here. I REALLY looked forward to Brest and Luttich when they'd be next on a map rotation for the chance to unleash some fiery goodness on my fellow players.

May I ask why it was removed? I know some might consider it overpowered, but honestly, this already seemed fairly well counterbalanced by the fact that the user had a 50/50 chance of incinerating themselves with it. So... what gives?

Us raging pyromaniacs need to have our fix too. Right now we can only get it on Pointe Du Hoc. PLEASE, PLEASE restore the flamethrower to these maps (and maybe add it to a couple others  ;D )

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Hey Anthrax! I agree, I don't think the flamethrower was game-breaking, but instead mildly silly looking. I'd love to have it back on all of those maps :)

IIRC, Jan plans on making improvements to the flamethrowers in the future, which is nice, but until then, it's still a lot of fun to use and we have more than a few players who really enjoy them.

Also, feel free to hop on our discord since we're way more active over there. :)

Note that you can still get it on Omaha too, but I don't remember where.

Offline Redbadd

• View Profile
They were fun and that's verboten, slowly but surely all the fun is being removed.

We better pray for those cmp maps to come back.

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
I always thought the flamethrower was hilarious, but it does feel like it lacks the polish that most of FH2 has. The flames that are left on the ground look weird and seem to either have hitbox or rendering issues, as I've been killed by them when the nearest visible flames are like 10ft away. The flame effect is also just not tall enough which makes them hard to see under vegetation or around hedgerows.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
They were fun and that's verboten, slowly but surely all the fun is being removed.

We better pray for those cmp maps to come back.
Yes, that's right. From now, no more fun allowed AT ALL! This is a deadly serious game!! In fact, next update will remove all weapons from all maps!

/sarcasm mode off: pls Redbadd, don't be so salty, totally unnecessary.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
I always thought the flamethrower was hilarious, but it does feel like it lacks the polish that most of FH2 has. The flames that are left on the ground look weird and seem to either have hitbox or rendering issues, as I've been killed by them when the nearest visible flames are like 10ft away. The flame effect is also just not tall enough which makes them hard to see under vegetation or around hedgerows.
Indeed, flamethrower was way too buggy and way too OP, leading to a lot of frustration for players on receiving end, especially new players. I've seen to many people complaining about it on the server, and in this case it was absolutely justified, so I decided to remove them. Flames in FH2 are currently very buggy and do not communicate properly where is the killing zone, instantly killing everyone who tries to run next to them in few meters radius.

I know some might consider it overpowered, but honestly, this already seemed fairly well counterbalanced by the fact that the user had a 50/50 chance of incinerating themselves with it. So... what gives?
That is a ridiculous statement only further supporting the fact that flamethrower was bugged as hell. You should never have 50/50 chances to kill yourself in the game by using a seemingly safe weapon. That is not the way to balance the game. Flamethrowers in "good" hands could absolutely dominate maps like Luttich 16 and ruin fun for others, especially when player who knew how to exploit it faced newbies.
Right now we can only get it on Pointe Du Hoc.
And Omaha Beach. I plan to rework flamethrowers in future, but I will put them back only on the maps where it makes sense from historical and gameplay point of view. D-Day maps like Omaha and PDH or CMP Pacific maps are perfect examples of that.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
...I plan to rework flamethrowers in future, but I will put them back only on the maps where it makes sense from historical and gameplay point of view. D-Day maps like Omaha and PDH or CMP Pacific maps are perfect examples of that.

And Brest as well, since they were used to great effect there.

Offline Turkish007

• Masterspammer
  • Mini-mod necromancer
    • View Profile
Would it be possible to rework how the flamethrower looks like in third person? The containers on the playermodel's back sway from side to side when the player runs. Yes, I know about engine limitations and how the whole thing is designated as a weapon and that's why it sways; but maybe there is a way around that such as making the containers behave like other things in the kit which are static on the playermodel such as helmet, ammo pouches, backpack, etc...

And also, is there a chance we might see German flamethrowers in the future?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
And Brest as well, since they were used to great effect there.
yes, that one too.