Author Topic: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!  (Read 18073 times)

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
Re: Achtung, Spitfeuer: Pilots gather!
« Reply #15 on: 13-04-2009, 23:04:10 »
I got a question there..

I wanted to try a bit of flying in the SP.
I am steering with the keyboard (wasd) and the joystick.
Now to use the mouselook I have to switch the hands to the mouse - that sucks.
How do you guys do that? Do you use some tool that enables mouselook with the coolie hat or something? And if yes, if you use that or a similar tool, can you still use your mouse in a normal fashion, i.e. can I still do infantry fighting without problems?

Yes.  Check out Joy2Key.  Set the Hat switch to be both Mouse Movement AND the FreeLook key (default CTRL, I think).  You will likely have to have two Joy2Key applications open while playing (one for the mouse movement, and one for the "activate Mouselook key"), but it works wonders.

Read these posts by Real-BadSeed on the old forums:

Quote from: Real-BadSeed;4090917
Its a program that allows you to map 2 functions, to one button on a joystick. So when you move the hat button, it send 2 commands. One that you are holding the ctrl key? down, and second, that you are moving the hat to look in a direction. So it maps the holding of the key function to each hat movement, aswell as the look-this-way function..

Hope that makes sense lol

program is JoyToKey, it comes with basic instructions

Quote from: Real-BadSeed;4094304
You need a .bat file that loads 2 different configs for the one button, one config emulates the pushing of the key, the other emulates the HAT controls. So when its running, there will be two icons in the tray.

It took me awhile too. I googled JoyToKey, and i ended up using another guys configs, that he had posted.

But i'll post the whole folder from my program files, it includes everything needed for using this with BF2 or its mods. You might be able to run the .bat and it works, but you will probably have to look through the files and adjust it to your equipment. Unless you have the same joystick and so on.

But this will at least show you how its suppose to work. Unzip and place in program files, make a shortcut to the bat file, put it on your desk top. I made a nice icon for mine of a little plane. When you double click the shortcut to the .BAT file, it should start up.

Hope this helps

P.S. right click on the files, to open the menu, and pick edit from the list to change stuff, especially the bat file. Left clicking will make some of the files run.

And here is the File he provided: Real-BadSeed's Joy2Key setup

I have a Saitek Cyborg EVO Joystick and have been using that file for my mouselook since he posted it over a year ago.  If you have a different Joystick, you might have to tweak it a little.

EDIT:  It doesn't affect Infantry fighting at all.  In fact, if you feel the need, you can use the hat switch to activate mouselook on anything that has it (like tanks) if it's easier for you.

Also, why are you using WASD to steer your plane?  Doesn't your Joystick have a Rudder/Yaw function?  My stick can be rotated around it axis as well as moving back and forth and side to side.  I use the rotation around the axis for rudder controls.
« Last Edit: 13-04-2009, 23:04:02 by Ionizer »

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14-04-2009, 01:04:17 »
Hey Ionizer, awesome post man. Rep is gone, but feel kissed.  ;)
My Joystick is not one of the pro-things, in fact it was a present by my gf, but I like it, though it's not of one of those "big" producers like Saitek or Logitech. But yes, it has a throttle with rudder control.

I use WSAD because of the stupid way BF manages the throttle. Afaik you can only have the "throttle up" (standard W) and "stop/back" (S). So if I put my hands on the throttle stick and the joystick, I can't control the throttle. I could set the gas to one of the joystick buttons, but I think I can only reach 2 of them without switching my grip... well except. Hmm, I'm thinking right now. If I would set throttle to the front button, usually the FIRE button (index finger), it might possibly work, setting the 2nd button (thumb, usually the 2nd FIRE button = cannons) to switch to the aiming view and setting 3 and 4 (on top of the joystick, next to the coolie hat) to fire the weapons.

Or, how do you set this? I assume you have another small button on your joystick you can easily reach?

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14-04-2009, 12:04:39 »
I fly alot. Alot of kraut planes since I'm pretty much always axis.

Me109 climbs much better, so it's pretty logical to go vertical.

But, to much vertical and your an easy target. That's why I always combine going up with rudder & turn. If it's a good pilot on your tail they can hang on for quite a while but slowly and surely they give in. They simply can't mantain that rate of climb/turn.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 15-04-2009, 00:04:21 »
Hey Ionizer, awesome post man. Rep is gone, but feel kissed.  ;)
My Joystick is not one of the pro-things, in fact it was a present by my gf, but I like it, though it's not of one of those "big" producers like Saitek or Logitech. But yes, it has a throttle with rudder control.

I use WSAD because of the stupid way BF manages the throttle. Afaik you can only have the "throttle up" (standard W) and "stop/back" (S). So if I put my hands on the throttle stick and the joystick, I can't control the throttle. I could set the gas to one of the joystick buttons, but I think I can only reach 2 of them without switching my grip... well except. Hmm, I'm thinking right now. If I would set throttle to the front button, usually the FIRE button (index finger), it might possibly work, setting the 2nd button (thumb, usually the 2nd FIRE button = cannons) to switch to the aiming view and setting 3 and 4 (on top of the joystick, next to the coolie hat) to fire the weapons.

Or, how do you set this? I assume you have another small button on your joystick you can easily reach?

Umm?  What was the question?

This my Joystick and Config:

(If your JoyStick has less buttons, there are a few that aren't so important [like the "Switch Weapons" command, which is only useful in the Stuka, and the "Enter/Exit Vehicle" and "Parachute" keys] that can go onto the keyboard.  I would say the "Primary Fire," "Secondary Fire," "Gunsights," "Rear Chase," "Mouselook" and "AirBrake" are absolutely necessary to be on the stick, in easy reach.  The "Map" Key is also useful, especially if you like to stay above the clouds and dive on your targets [which you absolutely should be doing].)

The throttle works just like it should (mine is a lever, not a button).  If I have it at 75% forward power, it gives the plane enough power to get off the ground and fly, but I can push the power up if I need to.  The response isn't instantaneous (just like it shouldn't be, it takes a second or so to get to the new speed, depending on the difference between the two speeds).  The point is: it's not "all or nothing" like your post implies.

If you post a picture of your joystick maybe I can get a better picture of what you are saying.  Or just tell me the name of the JoyStick and I'll try to find a picture online.

EDIT:  My grip is: Right Hand on the stick, Right Index finger on Primary Fire Trigger, Right Thumb on Secondary Fire Button, but can easily reach any of the buttons on the head of the stick, including the hat switch.  Left Hand rests on the base, with Left Thumb and Index Finger controlling throttle, and Left Pinkie Finger on the AirBrake.  I used to have the "Switch Weapons" and "AirBrake" buttons reversed, but I found I couldn't engage the AirBrake and activate my Secondary Fire (drop bombs or fire cannons) at the same time (or at least not comfortably), so I switched them around.  Now that I think about, I recently (after I drew up that picture) moved the "Enter/Exit Vehicle" and "Parachute" buttons to the other side of the base (it has an identical set of buttons over there, the hand rest on the stick can be reversed for Left Handed pilots, the whole stick is symmetrical if you remove the hand rest) because I was accidentally jumping out of planes in the middle of dogfights.  In practice, I use the keyboard buttons for "Enter/Exit Vehicle" (in my case: Delete) and "Parachute" (in my case: Backspace or Forward Slash [I can never remember and just smash both of them when I need to deploy the 'chute]) a lot more often than I use the ones I placed on the Stick.  I don't know why...
« Last Edit: 15-04-2009, 00:04:52 by Ionizer »

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 15-04-2009, 12:04:33 »
Oh, and flying with jostick in BF2 sucks. My honest oppinion. Since the flying is so straight forward. And I got the same one as the above.

Offline Schneider

• Ofw.Josef_Schneider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 15-04-2009, 14:04:56 »
@Ionizer, yeah, I was under the impression that the throttle control in BF2 was purely digital, so thanks for clearing me up.
And as I said, I got more of a budget joystick as I don't use it quite often, but I'm quite content with it:

http://shop.sector.sk/img/speed-link_black_widow_flightstick_SL-6640.jpg

Thanks by the way, your postings have been very informative for me.

Offline Lydecker

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-04-2009, 20:04:29 »
A few things from BF'42 vet..  ;D

All I can say is that when you find a pilot superior to your skills, fly against him until you learn how to down him. All pilots have a weakness. Sometimes even the best miss the sight of enemy, don't bother with their rear (some Stuka there, bwahah..) or are just too concentrated on the task at hand.

I can't say anything for the JoyToKey software, I have never needed it since I started flying on BF '42. I have a.. how would i describe it.. a sixth sense and years of experience about what the pilot in my sights or on my six is going to do. ;) Also, the view behind you is the most useful and will often tell what enemy is pulling out of his sleeve next. I rarely go down (unless on field rearming or repairing.. or that stupid tree/pole there) and it's pretty much because of this awareness I keep on enemy. There are hints of what's going on all the time. I keep track of the map, the kills (who killed what with what) and I link these all the time. Of course I drop most of this when target emerges.

The map tells you SO much even if nobody spots for enemy planes or other targets properly. Someone dies to a 109 strafe and disappears from the map.. I see you. Someone (in current FH2) spots a Spit without binocs, making himself blink yellow on the map (this could be a bug, but I rarely see the actual target  :-\).. I see you. There's a huge load of kills for Hurricane and only one flag where fighting is going on.. I see you. The information is there.

When someone gets on your tail without you noticing it, you still have a chance. More than often (happens to all) the guy on your tail shoots just a bit too soon and you can see tracers go by. Time for a half barrel roll with a dive against enemy. Or fake split-S followed by real split-S. A thousand choices and almost all of them can and will save you. Just don't pull straight up or keep going around :p A good pilot will shoot you if you go straight up or take some distance and boom 'n zoom you while you turn and burn.. You will soon learn to keep correct height for these manoeuvres.

Only thing that really makes me sad is that DICE left out the gravity on BF2.. BF'42 is just SO much more fun when going against good pilot and that's why flying is fun. In FH2 I sometimes get dissed by other players when I don't use 109 to strafe something for kills, but entertain the 2-3 enemy planes with it. Bleh..

Anyway, keep your head cool, lead your targets more when you think it's enough and check your six every chance you get. Also, offline training is excellent for manoeuvres and all pilots love Il-2 Sturmovik: 1946 :)

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-04-2009, 23:04:03 »
what keyboard button dose the dive brakes on the stuka?
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 22-04-2009, 00:04:51 »
Erm...  I think its default to x?  Scratch that, default is apparently shift.  The FH2 Devs use the BF2 "Afterburner" function as the FH2 "Airbrake" function.  It seems to work on all planes in FH2.
« Last Edit: 23-04-2009, 00:04:28 by Ionizer »

azreal

« Reply #24 on: 22-04-2009, 03:04:39 »
"X" is your gunsights. "Shift" will work your airbrakes on the Stuka.

Offline Ionizer

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23-04-2009, 00:04:56 »
Sorry, I don't play with default controls, and I fly with a joystick anyway.  I'll edit my post above to avoid confusion.

Offline von.small

• Last of my kind
    • View Profile
    • WEARMEME
« Reply #26 on: 24-04-2009, 11:04:17 »
Don't forget to fly high at fog level, and dont be scared to dive down on targets, "use the force luke" assume where your enemy will be (gun emplacements, grey flags, airfield), you won't always have enough time to spot them.

Avoid continuous moronic circling, if your target starts to cirlce, give up, of course I am not saying you can't shoot them down, a combination of acceleration and air brake will eventually put you in line for a very small window of opportunity for a cockpit shot. - But repetative circling is the destroyer of flying fun.

you can instantly tell a mouse flyer from a joystick flyer, mouse flyers fluctuate when trying to fly in a straight line, like they are resting on thermals or something.  Now someone will come along (because this is the internet and someone always disagrees) and say "Thats not me" but you can guarantee that 99% of public players if they are using a mouse to fly will go into a circling motion once you try and shoot them down.
HadrianBT - Why the hell would "Germany" attack pigmy ppl??!!
Thorondor123 - I agree that people are not wearing enough hats

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24-04-2009, 17:04:50 »
It's important to keep a good eye on the minimap. Keep up with the battle and see where support is needed the most.

Offline Kildar

• Have a nice day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24-04-2009, 19:04:32 »
"repetative circling is the destroyer of flying fun."

Don't call it unfun, because the other guy does not want to die when you get on their tail. In a hurricane or Spitfire circling against someone on your tail is a legitimate tactic.

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game
« Reply #29 on: 24-04-2009, 19:04:23 »
Haha, I like to do that. Who can hold out the boring and mousehand overloading circling the longest???
I use it to test their patience, if they are really in for a long and though dogfight.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."