Author Topic: [Operation Bodenplatte] Dogfight Map Suggestion.  (Read 4076 times)

Offline RommelBr

• View Profile
[Operation Bodenplatte] Dogfight Map Suggestion.
« on: 11-06-2011, 01:06:53 »
   Like i see, the next patch will bring the Battle of the Bulge, and these day's i I was inspired by the Dogfight's (I saw a chapter of the Dogfights Series on the same day  ;D ). So I ran to the better WW2 mod that i know, but i didn't finded a already Massive Dogfight map on the mod, so i decided to Suggest Here.

The history of this Operation :

Operation Bodenplatte, launched on 1 January 1945, was an final attempt by the Luftwaffe to cripple the air power of the Allied Air Forces.
   The goal of Bodenplatte was to gain air superiority during the stagnant stage of the Battle of the Bulge, to allow the German Army and Waffen-SS forces to resume their advance. The operation was planned for 16 December 1944, but it was delayed repeatedly owing to bad weather until New Years Day, the first day that happened to be suitable.
   Secrecy for the operation was so tight that not all German ground and sea forces had been informed of the operation, and some units suffered casualties from friendly fire.
   The operation achieved some surprise and tactical success but was ultimately a failure. A great many Allied aircraft were destroyed on the ground, but the losses of the Allied Air Forces were replaced within a week. The Allies lost few airmen, since their aircraft were destroyed on the ground without pilots. Conversely, the Germans lost fighter pilots they could not replace.

Aftermath and casualties :

On the eight days of operations, between 17 and 27 December 1944, 644 fighters were lost and 227 damaged. This resulted in 322 pilots killed, 23 captured and 133 wounded. On other three days of operations, 23-25 December, 363 fighters were destroyed.

The idea for the map :

It would not be possible to represent one of the airfields attacked (Choose between the USAAF or the RAF forçes)(Here a list of the atacked airfields : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unternehmen_Bodenplatte#Targets_and_order_of_battle ), and make a little, tiny field on the border of the map for the germans planes raise. (Like in Crete Map)
   And like this will be a Dogfight map the surroundings of the airfield can be locked with that "No trespass Zone for infantry",but the planes can fly over that areas. (Well i don't manage with the BF2 Map Editor(I tried :-\), but in some map with airplane i realize that some "No trespassing Zone" can be passed only with planes)
  The solution for non-fly-boys is just put planes for everybody. (64 players map, so 64 planes or i'm wrong with something  ??? )

Other Info :

Main aircraft's type of the airfield's :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unternehmen_Bodenplatte#Targets_and_order_of_battle

Ps: [I don't speak english(I'm Brasilian), and 40% of this post was used with the google translator  ;) ]
« Last Edit: 11-06-2011, 03:06:18 by ErwinRommelBr »

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Operation Bodenplatte] Dogfight Map Suggestion.
« Reply #1 on: 11-06-2011, 02:06:27 »
General problem for dogfight maps is the server killing aspect.  There is rarely something for non-flyboys to do other than man AA guns.  Which while I might enjoy, generally are not well received.

Offline Warior135

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11-06-2011, 16:06:22 »
General problem for dogfight maps is the server killing aspect.  There is rarely something for non-flyboys to do other than man AA guns.  Which while I might enjoy, generally are not well received.
well as long as people know that its a dogfight map they wont go on it unless interested   ::)

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11-06-2011, 17:06:10 »
well as long as people know that its a dogfight map they wont go on it unless interested   ::)
Exactly. Then the entire server empties and everyone loses.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline SiCaRiO

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-06-2011, 17:06:09 »
wonders how did battle of britain got so popular if dogfight maps are so unpopular

Offline G.Drew

• FH-Betatester
  • FH player since 0.65
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-06-2011, 17:06:00 »
wonders how did battle of britain got so popular if dogfight maps are so unpopular
Planned event.
"Accept the challenges so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory" - Gen. George S. Patton
-you aren't allowed to have nice things.

Offline Warior135

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11-06-2011, 17:06:43 »
well what happens if its a just dog fight server like FH2 *herp derp* dogfight?

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11-06-2011, 17:06:22 »
Planned event.

Bingo.

And I doubt the devs are gonna put year long time and effort into a map that is played on exactly one server ever.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11-06-2011, 19:06:14 »
Well actually if you look at FH1's maps... Dogfight maps aren't really that unpopular... Actually I dare to say that everyone likes a dogfight map for a change (I'm gonna put Battle of Britain, Bombing the Reich, and Pixel Fighter's custom map Operation Big Week, which is actually one of the more popular maps as examples).

Besides that everyone gets to practice flying which is quite hard in a regular map as there are always players who sit on the runway all the time... So actually getting in a plane and then getting it again after you crash your first one  :P is next to impossible.

And I don't believe that it would take a year long time to make that kind of a map (well if you start from scratch
to make Bodenplatte maybe yes). Tournaments already have Battle of Britain maps that just need some tweaking to make them enjoyable and get them to FH2's official standard....
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12-06-2011, 05:06:59 »
It would be a great idea to have a dogfighting map that isn't battle of britain but one that takes over france or germany for a change with American & German planes.

I don't think dogfight maps are server killers at all.  It all falls to the mapper to bring proper balance and reasonable objectives.  Poor map design is the biggest server killer.
"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline KevinWad

• I live in 1935
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12-06-2011, 07:06:29 »
Well in that case you might have to add some sort of ground battle in there. I think it was the Battle of Midway map in BF1942, but I remember how it was mainly the airplanes and ships that controlled the map, but there still was infy fighting for whoever wanted it.

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #11 on: 12-06-2011, 08:06:15 »
WaW has done a couple great Air to Air maps.  Though these are wonderful I don't feel much of a change from FH1.  I always loved them when they showed up on the server .  But after 20 minutes or so they should be over.  Air fuckheads love them but the rest of us just get a woody for a short while before we move on.  That being said I do think there is a place for a map such as this.  It just needs to end very fucking fast.
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline hitm4k3r

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12-06-2011, 17:06:55 »
Another point is, that flying in FH2 is much more difficult, than in FH1. As mentioned before, it is hard to get an airplane so often, so it is difficult to get a little bit of training in flying. To my mind a realy dogfight map is a thing, that realy has to be included in the future (maybe a remake of bob), because it brings a little change in gameplay in a map rotation.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12-06-2011, 18:06:48 »
...so it is difficult to get a little bit of training in flying.
Train flying in an SP game, that's how I learned to stay in the air for longer than 20 seconds.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12-06-2011, 18:06:22 »
...dogfight map is a thing, that realy has to be included in the future (maybe a remake of bob), because it brings a little change in gameplay in a map rotation.
^this.

But I was thinking a lot about suggesting dogfight map and I noticed few problems: it WILL NEED some completely new gamemode (it would be awesome) or a loooong time to balance an objective or what-ever-mode map (no matter how it will look, if it will Battle of Britain - "land to land" or Coral Sea style map) Another thing is that airplanes in FH2 are now some kind of addition to the gameplay - flying physics need to be improved in my opinion (let's wait for 2.4, maybe there will be some tweaks ;) ) Last but not least - when airplanes will become the main vehicles on the map and take the major role in the mission, we will need many more variants of them (new planes models  :-\)  for better gameplay (and historical accuracy) to represent variety of kits in air. If those things won't be applied, dogfight map will become server killer.