Author Topic: Operation Hyacinth 64  (Read 12026 times)

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
Re: Operation Hyacinth 64
« Reply #30 on: 19-09-2014, 02:09:14 »
I have made a poll for our players and opened a discussion thread.

http://www.762-ranking.de/forum/showthread.php?1291-Remove-Operation-Hyacinth-until-significant-improvements-are-made-yes-or-no&p=12811#post12811

Btw. if someone posts here in the feedback area, it is not always shown on your main forum page
(it shows "more maps like omaha" as latest "updated" thread) maybe that's why we get so few
 responses here.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 19-09-2014, 03:09:05 »
IIRC there will be changes to this in the next patch, like removal of mines etc. Until then just take it out of rotation if people don't like it.

There are some good changes to this map in the pipeline. Gavrant has addressed some issues recently to make this map more fun.

I just want everyone else's opinion on this map. Clearly my thinking is skewed from the average FH player when I'm excited to play a map that people actively boycott. :P I think I have some suggestions to make a few good tweaks to this map, but only after we gauge what it actually is that the players don't like.

I have made a poll for our players and opened a discussion thread.

http://www.762-ranking.de/forum/showthread.php?1291-Remove-Operation-Hyacinth-until-significant-improvements-are-made-yes-or-no&p=12811#post12811

Thank you very much for this :) I thought about doing it myself since I know a lot of the people who frequent and register at 762 don't always frequent these forums as well.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 19-09-2014, 21:09:43 »
Hyacinth has many pages of discussion on various forums :) I like Hyacinth, but that is also because I have seen it change and grow over time. I think the biggest problem of Hyacinth is that many players don't know about the more recent changes. They just thought "OMG not Hyacinth again" and quit.

Changes which imo made the map way better than before:
- no more minefields and thus less chokepoints
- planes are destroyable by MG fire, so you can drive your LRDG truck over the airfield and blaze at the planes, just like irl
- removal of Italian vehicles

Changs which were suggested before, but didn't make it (yet):
- removal of Italian engineer kit (so driving trucks isn't so dangerous anymore)
- removal of flaregun rom allied soldier kits
- radios destroyable by SMG fire

On that last thing, I wrote this once:
If the radios are placed inside a building, say on the second floor, cannot be shot through any windows and can be guarded by infantry. Is it then not logical that an attacker, who succeeds in entering the building, killing all the enemies there, gets a reward in the fact that he is now able to destroy the radios? It is very hard, with a full team of defenders, to get inside such a building and stay alive. If they are made destroyable by SMGs, then make it take two full clips to do the job. This prevents a spammy kill for the radio, as the shooter has to reload, or he has to be with a friend who has an SMG too. And since SMGs are limited, it might be balanced too. Having to reload and shoot two clips is about the same as the time you hold "enter" in BC2 rush, isn't it?

Pros: it feels natural and logical when you can destroy the radio without the need of satchels. I mean, when I drop my radio out of the window it is dead by just falling down 10 meters.

Cons: eeehm... don't know any ;)

Offline DesertFox20591

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20-09-2014, 18:09:53 »
the map is ok and we enjoy playing it.removing the engineer kit for Italian team will ruins the map and Axis will have 0% chance to win.so KEEP THE CURRENT MAP AND KITS
« Last Edit: 20-09-2014, 18:09:42 by DesertFox20591 »

Offline gavrant

• (Almost) retired dev
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 08-02-2016, 01:02:29 »
2.5 changelog for Operation Hyacinth (all layers)

• Increased overall lighting level on the level by about 25%, Hyacinth is much brighter now.
  • Removed the Very pistol (a flare gun) from the New Zealand rifleman and sapper kits. Instead, added the pistol to the scouts and NCOs.
  • Added the M34 Leuchtpistole (a flare gun) to the Italian scouts and NCOs.
  • Replaced the Italian engineer kit with the assault Carcano carabine kit to prevent the Italians from repairing the objectives.
  • Unique equipment: the spotlights now cause far less FPS drops when "fired", while having 50% longer light range at the same time. Also, added some buzzing sound on firing.
  • Unique equipment: projectiles of the flare guns now fly further, stay longer in the air, and illuminate a larger area.
  • Some cosmetic and terrain fixes here and there.

Offline Ronson

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 25-02-2016, 23:02:24 »
Potential for way too many lag-causing flares now on 100 player server. Maybe just the NCO kit should have flare guns.

A lot of flares in normal play, but then we also had a guy who decided to stand next to an ammo truck and fire flares non-stop and it made the game completely unplayable.

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03-03-2016, 23:03:11 »
Yeah, played twice this map on 2.5 and both times there were people just spamming those flares.

Offline Ronson

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 18-04-2016, 22:04:56 »
Played this a few more times recently and it turns into a slide-show every time towards the end of the round. Admittedly my PC is borderline potato-class these days so maybe not everyone gets this, but a I noticed a lot of people in chat complaining about FPS drops. The map used to run fine for me in years past until the latest patch.

I guess either there's too many flare guns in use on the map now, or the increased burn time or illumination radius for the flares means there are too many active flares at once.

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 18-04-2016, 22:04:40 »
This problem will be attended in the next patch :)

Offline Ronson

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 18-04-2016, 22:04:11 »
This problem will be attended in the next patch :)
Awesome, I still love this map, the objective mode is a blast  ;D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13-06-2016, 17:06:00 »
2.52 changelog for Operation Hyacinth

• The "tanks" objective group is now available for attack together with the "planes" group, right from the start. For the "radios" group to appear, you still need to destroy all the tanks (but not the planes).
  • The Italian equipment at the radio sector (most importantly the Granatwerfer 34) spawns right from the start.
  • The Italian team can spawn at the forward outpost between the LRDG base and the station (town) only for the first 90 secs.
  • To decrease the amount of flare spam, limited the scout kits for both teams to 1/10 of the players, and limited the total number of flares in the air per player to two flares (that is, if first two flares you fired are still in the air and you fire a third one, the first flare of the two "still in the air" will disappear).
  • The AEC Dorchester now spawns only once in a round, to limit its use as a virtually invulnerable mobile squadleader spawn point.
« Last Edit: 13-06-2016, 23:06:26 by gavrant »

Offline Balloon with mustard

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 04-08-2018, 21:08:36 »
Year 2018. I got shitty AMD Athlon II X740, HD 6950 1Gb, 6Gb of RAM and still these fucking flares make my potato PC bleed. Flares! What a nice feature! And we dont give a shit about perfomance on players PCs. Well done! BTW I have zero issues with perfomance on all other maps.
« Last Edit: 04-08-2018, 21:08:20 by Balloon with mustard »

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 04-08-2018, 23:08:09 »
You sound wonderfully sarcastic and condescending, which isn't the nicest way to bring up feedback, but;

And we dont give a shit about perfomance on players PCs. Well done!

take a look at the above updates

Spoiler
2.5 changelog for Operation Hyacinth (all layers)

• Removed the Very pistol (a flare gun) from the New Zealand rifleman and sapper kits. Instead, added the pistol to the scouts and NCOs.
  • Added the M34 Leuchtpistole (a flare gun) to the Italian scouts and NCOs.
  • Unique equipment: the spotlights now cause far less FPS drops when "fired", while having 50% longer light range at the same time. Also, added some buzzing sound on firing.
  • Unique equipment: projectiles of the flare guns now fly further, stay longer in the air, and illuminate a larger area.

2.52 changelog for Operation Hyacinth

• To decrease the amount of flare spam, limited the scout kits for both teams to 1/10 of the players, and limited the total number of flares in the air per player to two flares (that is, if first two flares you fired are still in the air and you fire a third one, the first flare of the two "still in the air" will disappear).

Devs have done a lot over the years to try and limit the flare spam and help the performance of flares and spotlights. Unfortunately, BF2 handles dynamic lighting horribly. I don't think you'll see anymore improvements in this area unless someone talented comes up with a way to code it better.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 06-07-2019, 22:07:14 »
I think the Italian planes are now too easy to destroy on this map. I've seen whole rows besides the ones in hangar taken out by the Allied jeeps before Italians even had a chance to react...

Suggestion is to increase their health a bit, and maybe reduce the amount of explosives available to LRDG (they should now try to split in 2 groups, the north one should take sapper kits and try to bomb the tanks while the south one should take vehicles with MGs and try to destroy the planes).

Also, maybe the Italians should not have a spawnable AT grenade as they can TK their own planes/tanks with it...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 07-07-2019, 15:07:25 »
Planes being destroyable by MGs is perfectly fine, as you can also kill a plane with an MG in other maps (and it is not unrealistic either).

Increasing plane's health might conflict with the health of the planes in maps where they are being used as vehicles.

Decreasing explosives might be useful  :)