Author Topic: The Great thread of Movies/Documentaries regarding WW1/WW2/Other conflicts  (Read 36598 times)

Offline Dukat

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
Sons of Finland, come get bread! -Why don't you come get butter for your bread!

'nough said. ;D

Looking forward to watch the subtitled finish languaged version. Will be a joy listening.

I usually imagine my own sounds with it, like `tjunk, tupdieyupdiedee` aaa enemy spotted, ratatatataboom

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile

'nough said. ;D

Looking forward to watch the subtitled finish languaged version. Will be a joy listening.

You can already do that by watching The Unknown Soldier or The Unknown Soldier. It is the same thing for a third time. Absolutely unnecessary to keep re-telling the same story over and over. We have the book, remake of the book, remake of the remade book, two movie versions, various on-stage versions, a musical and who knows what about this thing. It is weird to me that Finnish wars dont seem to have any other stories to tell except this one.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile

'nough said. ;D

You can already do that by watching The Unknown Soldier or The Unknown Soldier. It is the same thing for a third time. Absolutely unnecessary to keep re-telling the same story over and over. We have the book, remake of the book, remake of the remade book, two movie versions, various on-stage versions, a musical and who knows what about this thing. It is weird to me that Finnish wars dont seem to have any other stories to tell except this one.
I'm sure this will be a different experience with modern technology and an overblown budget. I'm just happy we'll get to see a quality modern war movie based on continuation war, could be another black mannerheim instead.
« Last Edit: 04-06-2017, 18:06:05 by Leopardi »

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
If it wasnt for Hirviniemi, I'd prolly go see it. Unfortunately I cant stand him one bit.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
If it wasnt for Hirviniemi, I'd prolly go see it. Unfortunately I cant stand him one bit.
I guess this is where it pays off to have succesfully blocked myself from anything related to Putous ;D

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
I havent watched Putous either and I still dislike him.

Offline Captain Pyjama Shark

• Masterspammer
  • Captain of the Gravy Train
    • View Profile

'nough said. ;D

Which of the earlier films is more worth watching?

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Which of the earlier films is more worth watching?

1950's one has that good ol' fashioned old movie acting in it which means it is often hilariously over dramatic and there's a lot of archive footage that is mixed in to get some battle scenes to seem more real due to budget reasons and the fact that the Finnish Defense Forces at the time didnt really want to help all that much with the making of the film. All characters are also older than they would have been during the war and theres quite a bit of equipment inaccuracies for those who are bothered by them. All in all, it IS the original and should be seen if possible but take my warning that since it is a long film it can get boring at times.

1980's version on the other hand is more in line with the equipment correctness, it has younger actors playing their roles and it can be seen as more of a traditional war film since it was made around the same time as Talvisota (Winter War) was. Bigger budget, FDF help in various battle scenes and loads of volunteers ensure that you get this "better" feeling for a war film. Is it better than the original is all upto personal taste. I cant really say since I view it in a different light. I see it as a war film and not as The Unknown Soldier. Overall for a foreigner I'd probably recommend this one instead of the original just because even thought both are long films, this might be more enjoyable for someone who hasnt seen either of them.

Offline Leopardi

• [11PzG] member
    • View Profile
Read that the special effects team from Band of Brothers is behind the upcoming Unknown Soldier. Expectations just went higher  :D

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Some One visits Nuremberg and looks at the remains of the ancien regime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LnVec3j1AU

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Watched this documentary last night about the Battle of Long Tan in Vietnam. 6 RAR with a company of men held off a Regimental sized assault from the Viet Cong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gUSq7pxux4

The documentary did a really good job of showing how the battle played out imo. The movements of the various units involved and dramatic reenactments are quite good. Really well done documentary, also the ANZACs in Vietnam are quite an interesting topic in and of themselves.

EDIT: The documentary is full of radio transmissions between the infantry that are being engaged and the battery supporting them at base. Apparently these are all dramatized but could've fooled me. They sound quite realistic and very well done.
« Last Edit: 27-06-2017, 15:06:00 by Matthew_Baker »

Offline Alubat

• View Profile
Dunno how many movies are made about the Reinhard Heydrich assassination. Seems to me its more than JFK assassination. Anthropoid 2016 was ok I think. Now its time for "The Man with the Iron Heart"
Have not seen "Atentat" or "Operation daybreak" yet :-)

Atentat 1964 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yER8GgUlYFQ
Atentat (Remastered DVD) came out last year. First time with English subtitles. Thinking about buying it

Im looking foreward to watch these :-)
HHhH The Man with the Iron Heart (2017) trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhGS2jnfMus
THE KING'S CHOICE (2017) trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNtu-bCGi18
Alone in Berlin (2017) trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcpv3l6csBw
« Last Edit: 18-07-2017, 16:07:31 by Alubat »

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Operation Daybreak is good, I liked it better than Anthropoid, but maybe that's nostalgia playing a role. I haven't seen the other ones yet, but I'm gonna check them ut for sure, thanks for the tips.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Dunkirk

Well that was a depressing run from start to finish. The impending doom looms in the horizon and the eery silent moments made me want action, not because they were boring but because they were on the edge of your seat tense, almost nailbiting. Took me a moment to realise the pacing of the movie is a bit different to what you might be used to in a war movie. A nice change when it comes to war films and definitely worth a ticket.

Btw, anyone seen it... were the Stukas superduper extra loud in your cinema or was it just the levels being all wonky in ours? Either the levels were off or it was a genious pull from the film-makers to make them so goddamn loud.

Offline Hjaldrgud

• BF2 Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Most like gonna watch tomorrow. Will report about the volume of the Jericho trumpets

EDIT: Yes, the stukas are loud as f. The trumpets are tolerable, but the enginne when they are at the lowest altitude is insanely loud.

Overall I really liked the movie. Well worth the ticket.

« Last Edit: 21-07-2017, 18:07:33 by Hjaldrgud »

"Generous and brave men live the best" -Hávamál