Author Topic: [F|H] & [762] & [WaW] Community Map Pack  (Read 39802 times)

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
Current State of the CMP
« Reply #105 on: 28-10-2016, 15:10:20 »
Dear Players,

so far we have managed to improve the stability of the CMP somewhat. The frequent crashes have ceased.
Now we need to decide where to focus our work. The next campaign at FHT is upcoming and many of our
mappers are working on that, too. We cannot fix and polish all maps which are currently in the CMP.

Generally speaking, we need more manpower. That is why for the moment, we have reviewed
our map pool and decided to take some of the maps out of the pool on [762]RANKED #1 Server.

Battle of Salerno - quarantine - will be reworked and back soon, the mapper is unhappy with its current state.
Bloody Gulch - out - colourful, nice terrain, hedges, countryside. But in need of redesign.
Breakthrough at Cassino - out - Interesting terrain and potential, but we lack a mapper to polish/rework it.
Carpiquet Aerodrome - out - Interesting scenario and countryside, but atm we have no mapper to give it a rework.
Garrigliano Crossing - quarantine - currently being reworked and until then removed due to request of the mapper.
Gothic Line - out - working but atm too large, either redesign or generally working better in campaign. Considering options.
Hill 262 - quarantine - generally working but has some flaws in need of repair. Will be back soon.
Kasserine Pass - out - working but atm too large, either redesign or generally working better in campaign. Considering options.
Ortona - out - interesting concept of big city map but needs performance check and redesign.
PACIFIC Adak Island - out - generally not a beauty to look at, even if historically correct. Needs rework.
Vosges Mountains - out - map with lots of potential but in need of a rework (concept/push/maybe terrain).

Now for you players - please comment how you feel about this! If you are interested in
learning to map a FH2 level, this is your opportunity. We can offer you advice and some
guidance + a friendly (mostly :) ) and constructive atmosphere where you can try yourself
at fixing older maps and polishing those maps that are in need of a rework. It is a good
way start small and observe how other mappers work before you dive in at the deep end.

Go here to comment or reply:
http://www.762-ranking.de/site/viewtopic.php?f=26&p=6091#p6091

If you want to enlist in the Community Map Pack project (you decide how much time
you are willing to spend) - this is your chance.

For the CMP team,
x4fun I<ODIUM>I.
« Last Edit: 29-10-2016, 09:10:11 by x4fun ODIUM »
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
Re: [F|H] & [762] & [WaW] Community Map Pack
« Reply #106 on: 28-10-2016, 17:10:00 »
Good on you guys for taking the time to vet these maps a bit. :) I have no qualms with the ones removed. Hopefully they can get some re-work in the future.

I'm trying to learn mapping and the editor in my limited time. We'll see how far I get ;D

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 29-10-2016, 12:10:58 »
BTW are there any plans to create new maps for this, maybe Eastern Front ones? If so, would there be interest in some kind of map design tutorial?

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 29-10-2016, 13:10:28 »
If so, would there be interest in some kind of map design tutorial?
I guess that can be a usefull devblog no matter what CMP future plan is. If any maps will be really beneficial to the mod, those will be Eastern Front maps. Our of 45 stock maps, only 4 include Russians so far and there is a load of Eastern Front statics already available for potencial mappers out there.  ;)

Offline x4fun ODIUM

• View Profile
    • www.762-ranking.de
« Reply #109 on: 29-10-2016, 15:10:29 »
Atm it works like this: the CMP profits from the maps that are being made for the campaigns
in the tournaments - and from special interests of single mappers.

That is how we got the Africa, Europe and lately the Pacific maps.
The next FHT campaign will feature the Pacific theatre.

Maybe after that, in half a year's time, there may be another one.
If that is planned to contain Eastern Front maps, it could be possible
that the CMP will get EF maps.

The best contact for that question is Papillon, he is in charge of the FHT Campaign planning.
The Tutorial would be useful definitely. Maybe a rogue mapper is willing
to try and make a map in the meantime. Then he would have a guide to start with.
Kind Regards / MfG
x4fun I<ODIUM>I

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 29-10-2016, 19:10:30 »
actually, Russia.
We do have a backlog with 20%-80% maps there, all of them FI-RU Continuation war maps, some of which were donated by keimummy, some of them long-running projects of Matsku:
- Ilomantsi
- Sinimaed
- Invasion of Tornia
- Strongpoint Joki
- Njietjärvi

So yes, tutorials are always appreciated.

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 29-10-2016, 19:10:38 »
I long wanted to create some vid tutorials about the technical how-tos when creating a map, like terrain import from real-life sources, texturing with Photoshop, map setup in the editor, UG, OG, Roads, Lightmaps, ladida you name it.
I just don't find the time to do it....

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: 29-10-2016, 22:10:03 »
^Pap I would actually LOVE that. There's not a lot of easy to find in-depth tutorials about the technical aspects of BF2 editor out there. They're scattered around the internet between the PR and FH2 forums. And the really good technical ones are accessed by web archive of the BF Editor forums.

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 30-10-2016, 08:10:01 »
texturing with Photoshop, map setup in the editor, UG, OG, Roads, Lightmaps

That would be really, really helpful. When I was looking for documentation on how to map, I did find quite a bit about design, static placement, heightmap importing, etc. but I found the areas you mentioned a bit lacking in terms of up to date tutorials.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 30-10-2016, 10:10:45 »
I was thinking less of a technical tutorial but more the basics of design, layout and planning.

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 30-10-2016, 13:10:40 »
I know :-)
I was talking about the more technical side  ;)

Offline MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: 30-10-2016, 18:10:40 »
What are the chances we might see Singling in a future CMP build? That map has a lovely muddy look plus a cool tank setup.

Offline PapillonFH

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 30-10-2016, 18:10:32 »
a question to mr. ts4ever.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 30-10-2016, 19:10:36 »
IIRC I gave that map to hitmaker for that purpose like a year ago. Would need lightmapping and other technical stuff though.

Offline Matthew_Baker

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 31-10-2016, 00:10:40 »
I was thinking less of a technical tutorial but more the basics of design, layout and planning.

More of these are always nice too :D