Author Topic: 128 Player slots on FH1 (yes FH1 not FH2) Server. Check it out!  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Professor Anthrax

• View Profile
Hey guys. Things seem to be a little slow in FH2 land(long time between releases right now I guess) so thought I'd mention an exciting development in FH1. I still load up old bf42/FH1 every now and then(especially when I see PAVLOV!! is playing) and was STUNNED yesterday when I saw 128 player slots on the only remaining frequently occupied FH1 server(pixelfighter).

Even though the devs left bf42/FH1 long ago those pixelfighter guys have continued coming out with their own map packs over the years but this is something totally new for FH1.

Many might not be interested but just figured some folks might want to know about this. Being FH1 it's just a little difficult to test it since it's hard to ever get over 64 players playing it since SO MANY have permanently moved on from that game and mod(Did get over 40 yesterday though and it should only increase as word of this gets out). But figured this development might make some with an old bf42 CD laying around possibly want to re-install it again (and you can get the mod and their map packs from ( http://www.pixel-fighter.com/ ).

They also have a texture and sound pack on their forums that is HIGHLY recommended as bf42 does look kinda fugly compared to BF2 (and especially compared to FH2). It can't work miracles(still doesn't look as good as FH2) but it at least brings the graphics up to a point where they don't distract from the game play for me(and lets face it - the game play has always been the main reason to play FH1).

I know I've talked up FH2 over the years while playing on pixelfighter and am probably responsible for several new FH2 players from FH1. Some seem to have some silly "rivalry" feeling between the two mods but I just see them as two different games I play, both of which having their fun points.

Today being a weekend day should be a good prospect for getting the server over 64 players to see how good this code works. And unlike this Soppa guy for FH2, the code that does this for FH1 has apparently been made freely available to the guys over at pixelfighter so none of this "only getting to play it once in a blue moon when someone feels like letting us" crap.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
I might join you guys in the evening, let's hope we break the 64 player limit...
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
I would join but I misplaced my BF1942 cd long ago.

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
Hmm, I might hunt down my BF'42 copy and reinstall it. I love how FH2 is progressing, but to be honest I do miss the japs and ruskies. Might give it a go soon. FH2 is still a long way from the diversity FH had to offer.

Since there's only one server, can you tell me at what time (GMT+1) it's usually full, or well, the busiest?
FH2 is the game, DarklyDreamingDexter is the name.

• View Profile
I'm in US eastern time but pixelfighters in Germany so they're most full when it's early-mid evening in Germany(although today's a weekend, so players on earlier too). About 40 now.

And I know what you mean about diversity. Orel is on right now. One of the better east front maps in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 24-06-2012, 16:06:22 by Professor Anthrax »

• View Profile
Hit 66 people on Omaha charlie sector. FH1 H-I-S-T-O-R-Y!!

One little snag that may constrain the numbers though. After it gets above 64 players the server no longer shows up in the ingame server browser so you have to join manully to IP: 85.214.86.156:14567

EDIT: Actually several people in game said they DO see the server in the game server browser even when its above 64 players. So YMMV on this problem.
« Last Edit: 24-06-2012, 19:06:00 by Professor Anthrax »

Offline sheikyerbouti

• Yay, Rep feature is dead
    • View Profile
 Since nobody plays Fh2 lately (currently 7 players on 4 spearate servers according to Purity Fh2 toolbox)

Is there a chance that more are playing Fh1?

p.s. good to hear something from you Anthy, haven't seen you around much

My Quebec includes Canada

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
Since nobody plays Fh2 lately (currently 7 players on 4 spearate servers according to Purity Fh2 toolbox)

Is there a chance that more are playing Fh1?

Where are you located then? Here in Europe de 762 server is full everyday, with a lot of new players I haven't seen before, and occasionally I even have good ping for that new russian server. I have no clue what happened to hslan though, it doesn't show up in my server list anymore. :-(

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
 I live in Vancouver and at the exact time of my post there were that many people playing.

I have kept the toolbox by Purity from the first release of Fh2 and it is a godsend if you want to quickly check on server numbers and players online. it also still works fairly well for a quick join to the servers but sometimes it can be beaten down by Punkbuster.

note: just checked and there is 29 players on 4 different servers.

the Fh2 toolbox needs to be brought back into the mod, it is the best feature of this mod that got killed for reasons unknown

Offline ajappat

• "Cheater"
    • View Profile
I have no clue what happened to hslan though, it doesn't show up in my server list anymore. :-(
Hmm? Are you sure? I can see it just fine and haven't had any problems, apart from those couple of days few weeks ago when server was down.

Offline Sir_Pee_Alot

• View Profile
i hope 2.45 release soon. and 128 player servers are up never played on a 128 player server would be epic

Offline Mud Buddha

• View Profile
I have no clue what happened to hslan though, it doesn't show up in my server list anymore. :-(
Hmm? Are you sure? I can see it just fine and haven't had any problems, apart from those couple of days few weeks ago when server was down.

It didn't show up with filters (which didn't filter out hslan untill a couple of weeks ago) on but switched everything off (except 'same mod') and there it was, but empty... :(

Offline Fuchs

• No lollygagging
  • FH-Betatester
  • Traction Wars Propaganda Officer
    • View Profile
    • Traction Wars - WWII Free to Play Game

It didn't show up with filters (which didn't filter out hslan untill a couple of weeks ago) on but switched everything off (except 'same mod') and there it was, but empty... :(
Yeah, I had this too. I was going to play my first round of FH2 in over 3 months, ready to serverbrowser camp for a spot and... Hslan was empty. Joined 762, Port-en-Bessin was nice though.
"Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death.
To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."

Offline Comrade Roe

• Achtung panzer!
    • View Profile
I wish there was a North American often populated server AT ALL. Let alone 128p. For FH2, that is.

For the topic at hand, I simply wish I had BF1942 at all. My friend let me try it once but then he had to take it back, and it was fucking awesome, but "for a limited time only."

Offline sheikyerbouti

• View Profile
 There is a North American server... it is called World at War.

Join us on fridays or thursdays guaranteed, or join the tournament and have even more days to play.

also, you can still buy battlefield 1942 for like 2 or 3 bucks, so you have no excuse whatsoever to play.