Author Topic: Spawn supression  (Read 1081 times)

Offline nephros

• View Profile
Spawn supression
« on: 22-09-2009, 23:09:36 »
One of the frustrating things in FH and FH2 has always been that you can get into cap radius and find a nice defensible position (like a room with only one door), only to be killed by someone who spawns just behind you, often times the person you just killed. This is always one of the things that kills the realism a bit.

Since a single spawn site actually has multiple random spawn locations, what if the attacking player would suppress one of those spawn locations by being within a certain distance from it, like 20 meters for instance. Reinforcements could still spawn at that spawn site before it turns grey, just not directly on top of the attacking player.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: Spawn supression
« Reply #1 on: 22-09-2009, 23:09:40 »
Or you just face the spawn point and blast away once somebody spawns.

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23-09-2009, 00:09:11 »
Yeah, they are a rather annoying aspect of a map. Camping spawn points in a flag zone are a necessary evil that must be accounted for in capping flags. The quick solution is to have spawn points placed outside the general vicinity of the flag zone which is easily fixed by the mapper.  

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23-09-2009, 02:09:33 »
It baffles me why this feature isn't in the BF series already - every spawn point has a radius the mapper can toggle individually for each spawn point. If an enemy player or vehicle comes within that radius, the game disregards that spawn point until it's clear.

Another good feature would be to divide a CP into different 'spawn areas' and let them choose themselves where to spawn. For example, if a CP has one spawn point in a bunker and two more throughout a house, you can choose if you want to spawn in the bunker or house.

Oh well, something to suggest to DICE come the next BF installment, I guess.

Offline Guderian

• Developer
  • Level Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23-09-2009, 03:09:19 »

Another good feature would be to divide a CP into different 'spawn areas' and let them choose themselves where to spawn. For example, if a CP has one spawn point in a bunker and two more throughout a house, you can choose if you want to spawn in the bunker or house.

Oh well, something to suggest to DICE come the next BF installment, I guess.

It can be done. All you have to do is assign a group # to spawn points at a given flag.

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23-09-2009, 08:09:51 »
Yes, good post!... bF2 does have these groups, sadly they arent used so much by mappers....

Im surprised you find spawnpoints inside the cap radius???.. on what map? on what flag? Report this as a BUG as it is against FH2 standard to have these. I will personally nag at the mapper to move them out of the capzone... Now, however on some african maps, it is quite impossible, El Alamein for example, those outposts, that the capzone cover almost the whole outpost... it would seem weird/unfair that infantry spawn outside their own perimeter of trenches, sanddbags and barbwire, if there is an emeny tank inside the radius...

BF Heroes have a feature coded in to the spawnLogic that each flag has different spawnpoints for each team (Royals spawn on the west side, Nationals on the east for example at RoadBlock on Victory Village) this feature can be somewhat replicated in Fh2 with dummy flags (the reason why sometimes you see "the enemy has captured farm_dummy) but it still isn't perfect. It's used in some maps, but it is too unfriendly technique to be globally used on all flags in the mod  :-[

Offline General_Henry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23-09-2009, 10:09:07 »
Yes, good post!... bF2 does have these groups, sadly they arent used so much by mappers....

Im surprised you find spawnpoints inside the cap radius???.. on what map? on what flag? Report this as a BUG as it is against FH2 standard to have these. I will personally nag at the mapper to move them out of the capzone... Now, however on some african maps, it is quite impossible, El Alamein for example, those outposts, that the capzone cover almost the whole outpost... it would seem weird/unfair that infantry spawn outside their own perimeter of trenches, sanddbags and barbwire, if there is an emeny tank inside the radius...

actually, it need not to be IN the capzone, instead a guy spawned and could be causing immediate threat to a capzone would mostly got camped.(i.e. a MG guy is capping and aims his sights at one of the spawn points)
I like the dummy things in 2.2 a lot, it had lots of potential to make even better games

Offline Natty

• Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23-09-2009, 14:09:29 »

I like the dummy things in 2.2 a lot, it had lots of potential to make even better games

but it didn't meet up to its potential?

Also spawnpoints should be placed 2 + 2 + 2 etc.. so if you spawn, you aren't alone. Impossible to enforce on all maps though  :-\

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-09-2009, 21:09:37 »
It can be done. All you have to do is assign a group # to spawn points at a given flag.
Ooooh, right, of course you can. Funny thing is, I've known about this feature for a long time, but never thought of implementing it this way.