Author Topic: Artillery communication  (Read 2121 times)

Offline hslan.totaler_humbug

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • hslan
Re: Artillery communication
« Reply #15 on: 15-09-2009, 23:09:02 »
Well, but there are a few things you should at least know about. For example never to spot while proning, because you can spot youreself, always spot for landmarks, ground or houses and keep the binocs to the target a while and dont switch them to fast. As your spot needs time to "travel".
We need to be able, to throw Thermos out of Spotterplanes.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15-09-2009, 23:09:40 »
Well, but there are a few things you should at least know about. For example never to spot while proning, because you can spot youreself, always spot for landmarks, ground or houses and keep the binocs to the target a while and dont switch them to fast. As your spot needs time to "travel".

Actually, try not to spot statics.  Spotting statics (especially multi-story houses) makes the Arty System line the dials wrong, making it harder for the gunner to hit the target.  Always spot the ground in front of your target.  That way, the Arty System lines it up correctly for the correct elevation (the gunner should be able to make slight adjustments and hit the target even if your spot isn't 100% dead on the target).  Especially never spot directly on vehicles, because the spot marker will pass through it and be useless.

You're right about never spotting while prone, though.  I think the game actually prevents you from switching weapons while your dude does the spotting animation (he points to the target), but staying standing a short time might prevent you from spotting yourself, so it's a good point.

Offline altfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16-09-2009, 02:09:32 »
Isn't that to be expected, though?  No ones knows everything right off the bat.  You learn by trying and doing, and maybe asking the guys who have been playing for a while.  Plus, if anyone is doing something wrong, there are usually enough veterans around to tell them how to do it right...

Are you living in utopia? Because, what I see is that people constantly get pissed off because of someone else being a newbie. Some of them (newbies) simply don't ask questions over chat. I hope you realize that players' knowledge directly influences the whole game quality! There are constantly people who don't know things! Many of them won't ask a question on the chat and those will constantly destroy your fun because of their lack of knowledge. For example,

People don't know what are ap and he shells; they used to not know what's that camera sound clicking constantly; they don't know how to place a mine; they don't know "where is the damn radio"; they used to don't know which kit has a parachute; not to mention distinguishing enemies from friends, etc.

And this happens over and over, until there is only one active public server left - which is very familiar to us.

And this argument is not against this game - I respect the unpaid effort put into this project - but you can't tell me it's expected/normal that players ask questions. It's like saying that people who commit crime should go turn themselves to the police. Those are basic rules of game design - you must force players of your game to do what you want. You cannot expect a thing. Nevermind the exeptions, they are never the majority.

FH completely fails in forcing players to anything, and this is why gameplay on public servers completely destroys the potential that the game has. But that's another story.

No, I don't like being disregarded by being a new member/player. Why should it be expected? For example, if a "veteran" knows where to expect enemy AT guns, he will survive longer in a tank than a newbie who doesn't know where to expect them. And it's because "veteran" has played the map so many times so that he can visualize it in his head - not because he's a better/smarter person/player.

And by which criteria should that be considered a reward?

Again, I don't think this is necessary.  You can accomplish this by simply typing into chat what kind of shells you want ("Arty, smoke on that barn, please!").  Plus, sometimes you only have time to pop your head out of your shell crater and spot, then get right back to hiding.  Sometimes you don't have time to fiddle with the Comm Rose.

Why necessary? It's a bonus. You come up with the chat again. You can't rely on chat. How many times you've met an ignorant child sitting on the arty constantly spamming with target requests? How many times did you get pissed off because you asked for smoke and instead got high explosive? I got pissed off because of that many times.

With the system I proposed, this could be avoided. People don't ignore things to be mean, they ignore them because they are not interested to those things. But if something is clearly shown to them (for example just like the words "none", "one" or "many" are), they would consider them - if they previously understood the reasons behind doing so, and learned all types of ammo..

If you see shells landing on (or near) your target, or start getting "Targeting Assist" messages, you know someone is using your spot.  Plus, most Arty Gunners will tell you whether or not the spot is good or bad.  Well, they'll usually tell you about bad spots, but use their shells to announce good spots.

Yeah, and what happens when you don't get targeting assist messages? Did anyone see the damn spot at all? Nobody ever tells anything about my spots. Even if they did, I would consider it to be an incredibly good FH day because the team communication was at the extraordinary level.
« Last Edit: 16-09-2009, 02:09:34 by altfuture »
BRAINFORCE squad

Offline Die Happy

• FH-Betatester
  • Live Long & Die Happy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16-09-2009, 11:09:51 »
there are usually 2 good ways of Arty-Spotter coordination.

voice Chat, either ingame or TS,ventrilo etc:
Spotter: spotted MG42 lafette, got the target?
Arty: got the target  // dont see it spot again

the rest is easy arty fires kills the MG > next fire mission

or with no voice chat just basic ingame radio messages:

Arty radio msg: artillery requesting a target
spotter radio msg: i got a target for artillery
arty radio msg: rogert that //  negative

when target is aquired and then destroyed restart with "artillery requesting a target"
if you have  a bad target as artillery after the spotters "i got a target for artillery" just do a quick "negative, artillery requesting a target"
people with brains in their head will then give you a new target.

of course this i not perfect and stuff like smoke needs to be requested via ingame chat, but everything else can be done with the radio commands. artillery gunners see what the spotter spotted and can select ammo on their observation.
they should also have a look at the map, where is my target, are there friendlies close by advancing to the arty spot ? should i fire and risk a TK or better hold ?

sure this requires a lot of experience and map / situational awareness.

radio command communication is cumbersome but it can work. to work you need to know WHO is using the arty and who is spotting, for this you have to follow the radio chatter.

a designated team of artillery and spotter make a lethal combination.
also a good thing to have a artillery guy in your squad so you can voip with him.
or better have them on teamspeak and not in squad so you have more grunts to capture flags.

what makes a really good team is guy with the mobile mortar and a guy with a sniper. on purple heart lane this team can reign hell on the Germans.
Live Long & Die Happy

Offline Safe-Keeper

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18-09-2009, 13:09:29 »
Altfuture: wow, Project Reality syndrome much? Lighten up, dude  :-\ .

Yeah, and what happens when you don't get targeting assist messages? Did anyone see the damn spot at all? Nobody ever tells anything about my spots. Even if they did, I would consider it to be an incredibly good FH day because the team communication was at the extraordinary level.
Agree with this one, though. Artillery players' mastery of the English language seems to extend to "Artillery requesting a target" and nothing else (oh, except from "someone man that AA gun next to me and take out that 109, 'cause no way in **** am I gonna walk those twenty meters myself!). If you give them a target that doesn't suit their taste - "Artillery requesting a target". Once they feel they're done with a spot - "Artillery requesting a target". Once they have a good spot, silence.

Offline altfuture

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 21-09-2009, 07:09:08 »
Altfuture: wow, Project Reality syndrome much? Lighten up, dude  :-\ .

Sorry if I seem angry. :) I just got frustrated the other day. Should have formulated the attitude in a better way.

I haven't ever played PR. But that statement of yours intrigues me :D
BRAINFORCE squad