Author Topic: High-res client texture pack.  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Gurdy

• Developer
  • no fun allowed
    • View Profile
High-res client texture pack.
« on: 19-02-2012, 04:02:46 »
This is probably one of the goofier suggestions on this forum, but I'd really like to suggest an optional High-res texture pack for those of us that could run it!

I'm going to glaze over the massive list of cons to this suggestion, in some round about way to show understanding of how pointless this suggestion is. In the end though, I hope to spark some discussion about  it.

When you get down to it, there is nothing wrong with the current texture sizes. However, in a mod dominated by vehicles with first person views, I can't help but long for a high-res vehicle texture pack to be released. I'm not sure what the median range of rigs that the FH2 community uses, but I can say with some certainty that an optional pack with doubled texture sizes would have little to no effect on the performance of newer systems.

However, there are several roadblocks: one is original texture availability and ease of access. Let's start at texture creation--are the textures found in the release version of the game even resized from higher-res versions? One would assume so, seeing as how FH2 adheres to general content creation standards. If not, well then this post has no meaning--making new high-res textures is a blatant waste of time.

Okay, now that we assume that the textures are originally downresed from the higher-res textures, we run into our next problem: can we still get most of the original textures? I can for see too major organizational issues that would arise at this point. The first issue is contact with the various artists: can you still get these original textures? Artists come and go as time goes on, so that's up in the air. The second issue is texture size in relation to file size--there is a lot of data to be moved around! Everyone knows textures are massive, so a pack with high res versions would probably end up being gigantic--I'd say around the same size as the mod itself. Again, both of these obstacles would require a good bit of time to overcome. At this point, I cannot present the perspective of the 'content assembler', so it's up to the devs to determine if such a pack is worth their time.

Now, the outcome is simple: everything looks nicer! I don't think community would mind being able to enjoy the artists' work as it was created--not to mention a simple quality increase for those who can enjoy it.

In the end, though, it really comes down to how many people are interested in a high-res texture pack, and if the devs see this as a justified endeavor.

Anyway, I'm really interested to what both sides think.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
Re: High-res client texture pack.
« Reply #1 on: 19-02-2012, 12:02:27 »
Personally I think that most textures used are quite good quality, especially when compared to other BF 2 mods... If someone's up for the task and there are no limitations to it, I don't see why not... Although I doubt I would be able to run it with a decent framerate  :-[
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19-02-2012, 13:02:31 »
It's not the textures, but lately I've started to miss more detailed geometry. Angular (instead of rounded) gun tubes (when viewed through sights or at close distance) just look wrong.

Offline jan_kurator

• FH-Betatester
  • Magnificent Mustard
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-02-2012, 13:02:36 »
go play games younger than 6 years with better engines, guys! :D

I understand this suggestion somehow but just let devs focus on the new content instead of remaking and polishing old models and textures. Some are less detailed than the others but they are ALL fine!

and be patient! 2.45 is coming with some new toys for you! ;)

Offline TASSER

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19-02-2012, 18:02:04 »

And you expect us to keep patient with a tease like that  ;D

But I fully agree, current models and textures are perfectly detailed. No need to redo what's already great!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! –ping       <3

Offline Ahonen

• "The grass just spoke chinese."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19-02-2012, 23:02:59 »
If the current textures are indeed compressed/resized from higher-res originals, I'd love to have access to these.
-A certain plumber took 'shrooms when he failed to rescue his girlfriend from being raped by a gorilla. His whole experience was documented in a game.

Offline Gurdy

• Developer
  • no fun allowed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20-02-2012, 00:02:54 »
go play games younger than 6 years with better engines, guys! :D

I understand this suggestion somehow but just let devs focus on the new content instead of remaking and polishing old models and textures. Some are less detailed than the others but they are ALL fine!

Of course! :p Nothing at all is wrong with the current texture sizes, either!

I can't stress enough about unimportant this suggestion is--new content trumps old models, any day! I didn't mean to come off as a demanding kiddie, if I did. :)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20-02-2012, 00:02:12 »
AFAIK the original textures are never given out. It's like a car company giving out plans or blue prints or whatever.

Offline Krätzer

• Developer
  • Bitter Lemon
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23-02-2012, 00:02:33 »
The Textures are not rescaled  ::) You play with the Highest Resolution Textures we have compressed to DDS. Only very very few Objects have larger textures that are scaled down.

Offline Watchtower1001

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23-02-2012, 03:02:42 »
... Would be a cool thing to do, but Sadly I don't think the developers would look to highly upon any attempt to do so and block it.

"762 Admin"
"Watchtower's Fh2 2.45 Sound Conversion - http://tinyurl.com/WatchySoundMod"

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23-02-2012, 12:02:33 »
... Would be a cool thing to do, but Sadly I don't think the developers would look to highly upon any attempt to do so and block it.

Ah, now you're doing the devs a disservice. I don't think that you'd run into any blocks form the devs, it's a shitload of work, but texture packs have been in FH before.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline dead_man1876

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24-02-2012, 14:02:47 »
No interest because the game is so fast paced that I seldomly have the time to admire the textures. If it would have been like maneuvering more than 50% of the time and fighting no more than 50% of the time I would say it would be an improvement, but this game is not like that.