Forgotten Hope 2 > Tactics & Tutorials

being a "grunt"

(1/3) > >>

Wraith:
I've been lurking around on these forums (and the old ones) without contributing anything for quite some time now. I finally decided to change that, and what better way to do so would there be than sharing some of my long-time FH2 experience to players new to the mod.
There are already lots of tips and tactics around here, but none of them involve the most basic combatants, the backbone of any army: The regular infantry grunt.
You might not get a top score playing as infantry, you might not be the most annoying bastard in the whole match, but you will know that you contributed to the victory of your team, or at least helped to preserve it from an even more humiliating defeat.
But why listen to me when you can read a quote from Field Marshal Earl Wavell who served in the Middle East during WW2 and therefore should know a ‘little’ about the topic:

"Let us be clear about three facts: First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm."

Chapter I: Squads

Alright, do I have your attention now? Do you want to spawn on the frontmost flag and charge at the enemy shouting something patriotic like “For the king!” or “Deutschland!”?
Stop right there.
If you decide to play as infantry, (or simply can’t find a vacant plane or tank, which is more likely) join a squad. That doesn’t only give you a forward spawnpoint (a.k.a. squad leader) and the ability to completely turn your brain off because someone else is giving you orders, but also lets you play way more organised.
Stick with the squad leader, or even better, advance before he does. Why? Your expendable, he isn’t. Sounds mean, but that’s how it is. In case you get picked off by a sniper or blown up by a tank, at least your leader is warned and can take cover. You can respawn on him and take out the threat, or at least inform him and find a way around that nasty rolling tin can or hidden coward of death.
If advancing, try to stay low, but not lower than your SL. If he gets shot your whole squad is doomed to respawn at a friendly flag if it follows him to nirvana, and from that flag it’s probably a long way to your attack target.
Another big benefit of joining a squad is the access to more advanced manoeuvers than dropping prone on the ground.
Flanking and pincer tactics are just two of the most common tactics you can use to defeat your opponent. Use the environment and your imagination to form attack plans. When advancing, always think of where an enemy could pop up, where the nearest decent piece of cover is and how you could outmanoeuver an enemy machine gunner laying down cover fire from underneath that burning truck.
When in combat, communicate these plans to your leader using your voice or, if you don’t own a microphone, your keyboard. Try to take cover first though. You wouldn’t want to be shot while typing.

That’s it for now. I’ll post some more chapters covering proper weapon usage and infantry based defenses.
Well, at least unless you guys think that wall of text above is just a useless, overflowing piece of crap. In that case I’ll just shut up and keep playing this great mod. (btw my ingame name’s Unit_04)

And lastly, sorry for my bad english.

Aggroman:
+1
Very nice post, welcome to the forums.

Ekalbs:
+1
great spiel, not too long but enough information.

flyboy_fx:
+1

If you want to be a forum grunt act like me  :P ::)

von.small:
I like to see how long I can survive as in on intense maps like fall of tobruk, invariably I always get killed at least once, I've only managed to survive Sfakia with no deaths as a rifleman.  I'm very much in agreement - so many people spawn and charge the enemy hoping for what? (My mind reminds me of the Chevy gunner who starts shooting the lewis gun at an otherwise sleeping pzIII, only to brick himself and bail out when the turret turned to anihilate us - what did he expect?).  I guess some folks play FH2 as a game, a simple war game.  But there is a large network of veterans now that play it with some real tactical awareness.
(slight thread warp over)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version