Author Topic: Flying physics in FH 2.2  (Read 11153 times)

Offline Potilas

• View Profile
Re: Flying physics in FH 2.2
« Reply #30 on: 20-09-2009, 07:09:18 »
Luckily most parts of 2.15 physics have been left to old maps. Faster fighters and weaker guns makes dogfighting take raw skill. Playing Totalize when you have played few rounds before El Alamein, difference is huge.

I suggest that devs does not try to "force fit" planes to maps what are too small or not enought room. Then they dont have to make planes behave like in BF heroes.

Perhaps devs didnt have any real airmap finished during 2.2 release so they quickly turned Totalize having planes. Weird physics chances makes sence because they didnt have proper map.  

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20-09-2009, 13:09:25 »
Man, been flying some on Totalize, Spitfire/Typhoon vs FW190.

I miss the dogfights in 2.15, they could take sometime, depending on the skill of the hunter and the skill of the prey. Now it mainly feels like it's a toss of a coin that makes the difference whether the hunter or the prey shall live to fight another day.

The learning curve has not been lowered. It has been erased.

And the look and feel, where 2.15 had a great and cinematic feel (just look at Gazala and the dogfights you could see there from the ground). The 2.2 counterpart makes me think of BF:Heroes. Not serious and a cartoon feeling.
True, it looks very odd from the ground as well when the planes turn so damn sharp. It really has a cartoon feel in it now.

Damn i miss old physics i have quit flying pretty much now as i just isn't as fun anymore. You don't feel the speed and when you shoot down enemy spit with BF109 it just doesn't feel as rewarding. Its like walk in park. Same is with the turning i just don't like how sharp those planes turn now.

@Potilas, planes doesn't feel like like 2.15 in Africa, there you can see the difference even better.
« Last Edit: 20-09-2009, 13:09:00 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline ottozeimer

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20-09-2009, 15:09:01 »
I don't know what are you complaining about guys, if you flew good in 2.15, you will be good in 2.2. simple as that. The only difference i see is that now instead of following the plane and getting on its 6, you can shoot it from top/bottom/side/front, and that is due to the hitbox fix. great improvement, now dogfights depend on luck much more.

i have a question, does FW has more HP than 109 or not. In reality liquid cooled engine was quick to catch fire if  cooling system is hit, while in FW with its aircooled engine was far more durable.

sure planes take off and land faster, but that was the case of fh1 too. just enjoy, and it is quite interesting to see more people taking up to the sky. if you, however, dislike flying now, grab flakvierling or bofors, there are good new tanks, you know, and finally - get a life.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20-09-2009, 15:09:40 »
Its not about is someone good or not, its that its not fun anymore. And hit box fix is awesome and would be so nice to fly with old plane physics and new hit boxes. Planes look odd from ground and from air. I still like to fly but it just isn't even close as fun as it was before its like 1/10 fun.

And why the hell should i replace my flying fun with AA fun, doesn't make sense.
« Last Edit: 20-09-2009, 15:09:35 by Paavopesusieni »

Offline Strat_84

• FH-Betatester
  • Lemming Chieftain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20-09-2009, 20:09:40 »
sure planes take off and land faster, but that was the case of fh1 too.

There were vertical taking off planes in FH1 ? I must have missed this version of Alpenfestung ;D

Anyway any people that has ever played with you knows that the more you frag, and the happier you are Otto. So I'm sure you won't complain if shooting is easier, even when at this point it becomes ridiculous ... :P

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 28-09-2009, 01:09:48 »
Keep it as it is.
Flying was fun before 2.2, but not to the same degree, it was still too hard. Now flying is a most enjoyable experience!
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline flyboy_fx

• rockets,rc stuff,and collecting/making ww2 models
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 28-09-2009, 03:09:55 »
Again hate them ???
Don't hate the forum, hate it's users...

Offline [130.Pz]S.Lainer

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
    • 130th
« Reply #37 on: 28-09-2009, 06:09:02 »
Keep it as it is.
Flying was fun before 2.2, but not to the same degree, it was still too hard. Now flying is a most enjoyable experience!

I don't fly and don't really give a crap about how the planes handle now as opposed to 2.15.  What I do know is air combat looks and sounds much cooler from the ground now.  Africa was just two retards doing endless figure 8's in the sky high above.  Now they zipping all over with some great dog fighting.  I vote to keep it as is because it gives me something to watch while I wait to ambush tanks. ;D
http://www.bfewaw.com/campaigns/waw24/promo/campaign/waw24banner1.png
The purpose of this deployment was to "annoy and defy the United States ... on her with Bofors 40 mm guns from a range of 650

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 28-09-2009, 07:09:06 »
If tried my luck at the stick as well this weekend and it just has gotten easier and nicer in all.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline Zurich163

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 28-09-2009, 22:09:48 »
What I do know is air combat looks and sounds much cooler from the ground now.  Africa was just two retards doing endless figure 8's in the sky high above.  Now they zipping all over with some great dog fighting.  I vote to keep it as is because it gives me something to watch while I wait to ambush tanks. ;D

That was mainly due to the BF2 engine and it's sad excuse for hit boxes. No one could get a kill shot on the other because you had to be shooting from near dead six, which caused the endless figure eights. Now that those are "fixed", I'd be interested to see which reason made the hit boxes so extorted, the fast air speed of the aircraft or the BF2 hit boxes in general.

If it is the second, I'd be all for going back to the old physics. If it is the first, then I'd rather keep them as they are as of 2.2.

Offline J.Pasquill

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 28-09-2009, 23:09:06 »
I believe both versions had their own pro's and con's. I enjoy flying in both, though I tend not to bother.

My only issue is that flying has become easier with 2.2 which means every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they should have the plane.... along with Bob, Martin, Alfred, Sam, Philip and Marcus.

I never saw plane camping as an issue but with 2.2 physics it is becoming that way. Lots more are unfolding their deckchairs, kicking back and chilling leaving their team short.

I think the only way to prevent this would be to lock the planes to all kits bar Pilot Kits, if thats possible. Place only enough kits so to have 1 pilot per plane.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 29-09-2009, 01:09:43 »
I believe both versions had their own pro's and con's. I enjoy flying in both, though I tend not to bother.

My only issue is that flying has become easier with 2.2 which means every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they should have the plane.... along with Bob, Martin, Alfred, Sam, Philip and Marcus.

I never saw plane camping as an issue but with 2.2 physics it is becoming that way. Lots more are unfolding their deckchairs, kicking back and chilling leaving their team short.

I think the only way to prevent this would be to lock the planes to all kits bar Pilot Kits, if thats possible. Place only enough kits so to have 1 pilot per plane.

There are no pilots kits on Totalize.  Plus, you would, in all fairness, need at least one pilot kit per position in a plane (including rear MG positions [Stuka] and Observer positions [Cub, Storch, Beau]).  Plus, a lot of pilots prefer to fly with an engineer kit so they can repair their plane in case they need to land somewhere other than an auto-repairing airfield.  I guess that last one might be alleviated by giving Pilot kits a wrench, though.

Finally, locking it Pilot kit only just means that people would be camping the kits, instead of the planes, or worse, TKing for the kits instead of TKing for planes.

Offline 16floz470ml

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 29-09-2009, 03:09:18 »
A few of my observations. 

Now you do not even have to lead the enemy plane.  If the enemy is in front and you shoot you have a very good chance of a hit no matter the angle.  There is no longer really any sense of distance with the guns. 
     The take off is so fast but acceleration is so slow.  The planes are too slow.  Especially the Typhoon.  I know it is loaded down and all but you have to put it in a steep dive just to get the landing gear to retract.  I was going full speed and got shot out of the cockpit while having no damage by a Tiger MG34.  Even before this version it is insane how much MG fire you take in a plane.  The MGS in tanks are clearly different than the ones the infantry has.   
     The 190 is bad ass.  I really like the fighter-bomber version.  Now it is so easy to land and reload the bomb or rockets if you are in the Typhoon.  No challenge at all.  I liked having to make a good landing under stress.  Now all you have to do is be in the same grid and it is a good landing.     
     I still like it but it seems too easy now.  It is not as realistic.   

Offline NTH

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 29-09-2009, 10:09:20 »
A few of my observations. 

Now you do not even have to lead the enemy plane.  If the enemy is in front and you shoot you have a very good chance of a hit no matter the angle.  There is no longer really any sense of distance with the guns. 
     The take off is so fast but acceleration is so slow.  The planes are too slow.  Especially the Typhoon.  I know it is loaded down and all but you have to put it in a steep dive just to get the landing gear to retract.  I was going full speed and got shot out of the cockpit while having no damage by a Tiger MG34.  Even before this version it is insane how much MG fire you take in a plane.  The MGS in tanks are clearly different than the ones the infantry has.   
     The 190 is bad ass.  I really like the fighter-bomber version.  Now it is so easy to land and reload the bomb or rockets if you are in the Typhoon.  No challenge at all.  I liked having to make a good landing under stress.  Now all you have to do is be in the same grid and it is a good landing.     
     I still like it but it seems too easy now.  It is not as realistic.   

Yeah I miss the landing too, in OP. Totalize it's not needed, but it does give a kind of immersion to the game.

Milton Gault roared, "Roffey, I know bloody well that Jerry knows we are here but you don't need to advertise the fact!"
(From: First in the Field, Gault of the Patricias by Jeffery Williams, page 72.)

Offline Tiny

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 29-09-2009, 10:09:36 »
Tried El Alamein a while ago in a 109 and it was fun, feel like you have to be on your toes much more now...before it was so stiff, there was no chance of doing damage when shooting from the side etc.

Although the insanely short take off distances are a bit ridicolous.