Author Topic: New commander option  (Read 3293 times)

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
New commander option
« on: 17-02-2011, 21:02:01 »
This seems so obvious, but I can't remember it ever having been suggested before, nor can I find with a search.

Give the commander the option to, instead of using his artillery on the map, use it for counter artillery. The effect would be to re-set the opposing commanders artillery counter to zero. This would simulate 'disrupting' the enemy's artillery. The timing could be played with a little to make a game of trying to time the counter battery for maximum effect.

Now go ahead and tell me it is not possible with the BH2 engine...

Offline buddycole46

• View Profile
    • Website
Re: New commander option
« Reply #1 on: 18-02-2011, 01:02:30 »
just sounds kinda silly.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-02-2011, 01:02:14 »
Its perfectly feasible, its just a question of if the devs want to make the heavy artillery models for it, and set it up.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18-02-2011, 14:02:46 »
Its perfectly feasible, its just a question of if the devs want to make the heavy artillery models for it, and set it up.

Well he's not talking about the models, just resetting the commander's timer... I believe you don't need models for that... unless you wanna make it more "realistic"

I don't know I kinda like it... would be a bit more interesting for the commanders to try and outsmart each other... but could also turn into a "whoever manages to click the button faster wins"
This sentence is intentionally left unfinished...

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18-02-2011, 15:02:41 »
I would just like the commander position available on all maps.

Offline VonMudra

• FH-Betatester
  • FH2 Betatester/Verdun Team Researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18-02-2011, 16:02:22 »

Well he's not talking about the models, just resetting the commander's timer... I believe you don't need models for that... unless you wanna make it more "realistic"

I don't know I kinda like it... would be a bit more interesting for the commanders to try and outsmart each other... but could also turn into a "whoever manages to click the button faster wins"

IIRC, it would work the same way as in BF2, you'd have to get them repaired.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18-02-2011, 17:02:24 »

You're right that sounds better... but how do we repair Naval guns support? I suppose it could be disabled on those maps...

Ah well off to the devs to decide if they need this...

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-02-2011, 20:02:49 »

You're right that sounds better... but how do we repair Naval guns support? I suppose it could be disabled on those maps...

Ah well off to the devs to decide if they need this...

In another thread the devs discussed placing commander artillery guns on the map where they could be destroyed and repaired:

We've thought about this internally. The problem is...it encourages ppl to drive a tank into the enemy's main base and attempt to blow up the guns, and thus takes away from the main part of the battle.

So I don't think we are going to see commander artillery guns actually appearing on the map, which is fine. Although these suggestion have got me thinking. I think I will expand on my original suggestion with something much broader, (and probably even less possible with the BF2 engine.)

A commander accumulates, over time, resource points. These points would appear on a counter on the commander screen and would steadily increase over time. You can spend them several ways:

• Bombard the map with artillery. Possibly you could have different intensity settings that cost varying amounts of points.
  • Bombard the enemy commander's artillery. (This would probably cost more points as you have to detect it first.)
  • Reposition commanders artillery. This would massively increase the enemy commanders cost to bombard you, however this bonus would be diminished every time you use artillery.
  • Repair your artillery, if it is bombarded. You would probably get an automatic reposition with this otherwise you would just get repeatedly pummeled.
  • Drop resupply. This would be cheap.

Possibly points accumulate faster, the more flags your team has. Although maybe that would create too much imbalance and create a tipping effect where a winning team overwhelms the other. Maybe you get more points if you team is losing, so you can better help your struggling team. Or maybe flags just don't affect the point counter at all.

I think this would go a long way to achieving the goal of making the commander's game more fun and playable. If by some miracle this is possible with the game engine, it would also probably be highly adaptable, that is, there is room to add more cools stuff for the commander to spend points on.

Offline LuckyOne

• Purple Heart Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-02-2011, 23:02:37 »

A commander accumulates, over time, resource points.

*hides from the angry anti-PR mob running to this thread*

Offline DLFReporter

• FH-Betatester
  • Betatesting FH2 makes me edgy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18-02-2011, 23:02:15 »
*hides from the angry anti-PR mob running to this thread*
* N24Reporter looks at LuckyOne going into hiding and scratches his head.
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off

Offline HappyFunBall

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18-02-2011, 23:02:17 »
I've never played PR, do they do something similar?

Offline Slayer

• Freeze Veteran
  • FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19-02-2011, 16:02:54 »
I think this is a nice way to make being commander more interesting.

Offline Lightning

• Dreamcrusher
  • FH2 Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19-02-2011, 16:02:08 »
Fixing how the commander works is on our to-do list (somewhere at the bottom).

Offline Josh094

• FH-Betatester
  • Oh dear.
    • View Profile
    • ProjectBarrett
« Reply #13 on: 19-02-2011, 16:02:41 »
I'd like to see commander have the option to call in an artillery smoke screen in place of the redundant vehicle drop.  8)

Offline Cory the Otter

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be home for breakfast.
    • View Profile
    • FA Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-02-2011, 16:02:04 »
I'd like to see commander have the option to call in an artillery smoke screen in place of the redundant vehicle drop.  8)

IIRC, in some maps, smoke screens replace Artillery