Author Topic: Iron Sight improvements and balancing suggestions  (Read 4091 times)

Offline TheSameOne

• View Profile
Iron Sight improvements and balancing suggestions
« on: 25-07-2009, 23:07:43 »
1. Lee Enfield iron sights.
2. Balancing the British forces.
3. Boats.

1. I think that the iron sight in the game is totally okey, although not the best, theyre definetly not the worst. But i have been playing PR a lot and have seen that they have a great Lee Enfield Iron sight + Bolt-action animations. I thought maybe you could try to talk Black Sand Studios if you can "borrow" the whole Lee Enfield weapon, and put it in FH2. After that it maybe shouldnt be to hard to make it into a K98 and the other bolt action rifles.

2. This is mostly about the british armor, which feels underbalanced compared to the german tanks. I know that you are out after realism and the german tanks were more powerfull than the british tanks. But the british had more tanks than the germans. (The truth is that i dont really have a reliable source for this, just something i seem to remember. But im sure someone out there knows if its true or not.) So then you could make the british have more thanks and/or shorter spawn time.

3. Boats... If there was one thing in BF1942/FH that you just oculdnt get anywhere else, it was boat wars, you could drive carriers, destroyer, battleships etc. I know that you maybe dont really have the people/time/resources to make that, but you maybe can get a shortcut to get the physics by taking the physics from a RIB and make it slower in speed and turning and making it bigger. Than you "just" have to make the boats itself.

;)

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Sight improvements and balancing suggestions
« Reply #1 on: 25-07-2009, 23:07:24 »
1. Lee Enfield iron sights.
2. Balancing the British forces.
3. Boats.

1. I think that the iron sight in the game is totally okey, although not the best, theyre definetly not the worst. But i have been playing PR a lot and have seen that they have a great Lee Enfield Iron sight + Bolt-action animations. I thought maybe you could try to talk Black Sand Studios if you can "borrow" the whole Lee Enfield weapon, and put it in FH2. After that it maybe shouldnt be to hard to make it into a K98 and the other bolt action rifles.

2. This is mostly about the british armor, which feels underbalanced compared to the german tanks. I know that you are out after realism and the german tanks were more powerfull than the british tanks. But the british had more tanks than the germans. (The truth is that i dont really have a reliable source for this, just something i seem to remember. But im sure someone out there knows if its true or not.) So then you could make the british have more thanks and/or shorter spawn time.

3. Boats... If there was one thing in BF1942/FH that you just oculdnt get anywhere else, it was boat wars, you could drive carriers, destroyer, battleships etc. I know that you maybe dont really have the people/time/resources to make that, but you maybe can get a shortcut to get the physics by taking the physics from a RIB and make it slower in speed and turning and making it bigger. Than you "just" have to make the boats itself.

;)

1) Lee Enfield in PR _is_ from FH2 originally. They got it from FH2. ;)

2) A good suggestion to take into consideration - however, it has been layed out just fine as it is considering the other anti-tank abilities the germans have against the british tanks. I wouldnt go change this as things seems good as they are.

3) Boats and bigger ships are something that are very difficult to properly display in a BF2 mod due to the engine limitations. But dont worry, Normandy will bring you landing boats on Pointe Du Hoc. Maybe later in the future when we actually have maps that could do with boats and ships, as right now we do not have maps that would be appropriate for naval warfare.

Thanks for suggestions.

Offline Ionizer

• Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-07-2009, 23:07:12 »
1.  First, the Lee Enfield in PR is already borrowed from FH2.  Second, the model was never made to be used with 3d Ironsights, so there are some problems when PR uses it as such.  Third, the FH2 developers prefer the 2d+3d combo they have now, so it's unlikely they will change it.

2.  It's only on early war maps that Brit tanks have a disadvantage (namely, being armed with 2 pounder guns, which have trouble penetrating their German counterparts at that time period).  Once the Brits get more tanks armed with bigger guns (Crusader MK 3 w/ 6 pounder, Shermans and Grants with 75 mm), it becomes more even.  They get Grants first (around the time of Gazala), then they get Crusader 3's and Shermans at about the same time (around El Alamein).

3.  The BF2 engine has problems with large, moving warships.  Namely, anything (vehicles, i.e planes on a carrier, or infantry moving around on deck)  on it will suffer damage and eventually die/explode.  There have been some breakthroughs, but FH2 hasn't yet moved to a theater (Pacific) nor made any specifics maps (battles in the North Atlantic) where they need boats.  That said, there is a (mostly) working submarine made by the FH2 Devs in the game files, it's just not used on any stock maps (yet).
« Last Edit: 25-07-2009, 23:07:08 by Ionizer »

azreal

« Reply #3 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:41 »
#1: HA! I knew this would happen...
No offense to you PR guys over here, but I think PR would be a crap load better if they actually made their own stuff. (they took their entire US army from USI, exception being the Stryker) I mean, they have started to pull away from that phase starting with .75/.8'ish, but today I noticed on the PR forums, some guy was ranting about how much he loved the No.4 yet nobody (in a 5 page thread) mentioned that it actually came from FH2.

EDIT: that, and have you actually played FH2 and seen that we already have a K98...

Offline TheSameOne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:57 »
I know you have a K98... I meant that you could make the iron sights from the Lee Enfield into the K98's iron sights when you had a base for the 3D sight and animation...

And no, I didnt know that the Lee Enfield was from FH2, but do anyone know why they did scrape it?
« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 00:07:33 by TheSameOne »

azreal

« Reply #5 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:31 »
3d sights may be added in a later release of FH2 but for now there are more important things for the devs to work on such as vehicles and bug fixes for the upcoming 2.2 Normandy release.

Offline Admiral Donutz

• Global Moderator
  • Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:05 »
And no, I didnt know that the Lee Enfield was from FH2, but do anyone know why they did scrape it?
THey didn't scarp anything. The FH devs donated the Lee Enfield to the PR devs. The Pr devs then tweaked it so it fits in the PR game (the PR one uses a modern scoped sight not?  Not the FH2 scope... I don't play PR so I wouldn't know...).   Thus the PR devs added their custom/own sights instead of the sights FH uses.
« Last Edit: 26-07-2009, 00:07:27 by Admiral Donutz »

Offline TheSameOne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:44 »
As i dont know how the first version of the Lee Enfield (the first one they donated) looked, i cant tell if they have changed anything or not. And about the sniper rifle, as i rarely use that sniper rifle, i cant tell, but they have probaly changed the bolt action animatin thanks to the added scope.

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26-07-2009, 00:07:00 »
They got the normal No4 aswell as the scoped version and they didn't change anything, only the animations. One spawnable class uses the unscoped one, the sniper the scoped one.

Offline Kelmola

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26-07-2009, 03:07:06 »
Historically, German tanks were superior mostly due to their technical reliability and better tactics rather than firepower or armour (in both of those they were often seriously outclassed in the early war).

Matildas/Valentines are already nigh-invulnerable against anything less than an 88, (or Pz4 HEAT grenade at point-blank range, Pz4F/2 or 75mm PaK40). So the 2 pdr won't one-shot most German tanks, big deal if it penetrates nevertheless and you can soak up damage like there's no tomorrow.

Grants and Shermans with their 75 mm tubes will rape Pz3 & 4 from front and behind while the puny 50 mm / short 75 mm of Panzers will plonk off the Tommy armour. Yes, the Grant has that infamous "weak spot" but then again, its 37 mm secondary gun is enough to knock out Panzers, too, so it has essentially twice the firepower plus stronger armour than its German counterparts.

Now where was the imbalance, again?

On the other hand, if you do insist on frontal charges in Vickerses, A13 Cruisers or Crusader Mk. 1's, then you deserve to die a horrible death, because they were never meant to take other tanks head-on in the first place.

Offline Paavopesusieni

• Spongebob
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26-07-2009, 15:07:29 »
Fh2 got 2 lee enfields, the no4 and no1. Other is in early war maps and other in later maps.

Feels that you havent yet played later war maps as you suggest about armor balance(Brits have better tanks in El Alamein for example) and havent seen no4. Play a bit more and you will see.

Just played supercharge and destroyed like 10 tanks alone with sherman so i think that we don't have any balance issues ;). Also mines are total nightmare for tankers, so try to learn to use them.

Offline TheSameOne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:38 »
I know hoe the No. 4 looks :P And about the tanks, i mostly meant about the Crusader, maybe should have written that in the suggestion ;)

Offline Ts4EVER

• Banner of THeTA0123
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:39 »
I know hoe the No. 4 looks :P And about the tanks, i mostly meant about the Crusader, maybe should have written that in the suggestion ;)

All Crusader models are quite fragile, the Crusader III however one shots every German tank short of a Tiger.

Biiviz

« Reply #13 on: 26-07-2009, 19:07:17 »

There are 3 Crusaders. Crusader I Early, Crusader I Late and Crusader III.

Offline sn00x

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03-08-2009, 00:08:44 »
i must say, the pr animation of the Enfield is way better, FH has good but, yeah. that is My opinion, dont care about the others.