Author Topic: Hear gunsounds from further away  (Read 3189 times)

Offline Folkhoer

• View Profile
Hear gunsounds from further away
« on: 28-06-2009, 15:06:12 »
Well this is a thing that bugs me: You dont even hear a gun when its fired 100 metres away. Im not saying you should hear all guns on the entire map but it would be nice if you would hear them from further away.

Ive never been in combat but I guess a gun makes allot of noise and you can hear it from really far away.

Offline Ccharge

• Can we just say we went?
    • View Profile
Re: Hear gunsounds from further away
« Reply #1 on: 28-06-2009, 17:06:55 »
Yea. I would like to be able to hear the little pops and clicks as weapons are fired from a distance.
<insert fancy signature here>

Offline Nerdsturm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28-06-2009, 17:06:25 »
This i something that, if possible, I definitely agree with being applied to all sounds really, as I'd like to see distance you can hear planes and explosions expanded as well.

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28-06-2009, 17:06:07 »
Ive never been in combat but I guess a gun makes allot of noise and you can hear it from really far away.

Yes, they are quite loud. You can hear them from miles away, to be honest. It does sorta annoy me how FH2 seems to follow normal BF2's path when it comes to sound realism.

There are subtle distant noises, but nothing realistic really. In fact the only gun I've ever clearly heard a decent distant sound on is the Beretta SMG. And in all honesty, for instance, in real life I felt some SMGs were louder then rifles. The MP40 I remember was very loud and the sound of it really bothered me ears, rifles are still quite loud, though.

So... my point is I would support this suggestion, because FH2 very much lacks in the sound realism area. Sorry, but its true, maybe 2.2 will be different.

Offline FactionRecon

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28-06-2009, 17:06:20 »
Hate to say it like this but...PR has it and it adds tremendously to immersion and the feeling of being on a true battlefield.  I posted a near-identical topic in the old forums but it was simply lost in time...

As far as I understand it's a relatively simple task of assigning a weapon 2 sounds that play simultaneously, but only the "distance sound" continues to play as the player gets further and further from the original weapon, even to the point of being out of sight.

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28-06-2009, 19:06:14 »
It actually exists for the Italian smg if you check it out... At long range it sounds distant.. I used to whine about this alot,.. Wondering if anything has been doen about if for 2.2... Sometimes I play FH1 with Brutwurst's soundf patch just to get that sound varaince... Its even better in FHSW if anyone wants to check it out and get Inspired...

Basically:
1) All rifles, smgs and mgs have a 1st person view sound, a 3rd person view sound and a distant sound (sound like the 'rattle on the roof' of rain)
2) Cannon fire sounds like dull thuds over great distance
3) Tank engines sound like low hums depending on their size and engine, FH0.7 withsound patch had the SPR Tiger distant sound... A bit over the top, but a toned down version of the tanks sqeeking would be appreciated
4) Explosions such as grenade blasts and HE shell ground hits made a cool distant sound, which had 2 variants to avoid monotony
5)Then ofcourse there were the whizzes from bullets and shells varying based on calibre of cannon or rocket,.. and bullet whizz had varia nts to avoid monotony

*SUGEESt: Distant muffled voices for death cries and muffled voice for any other call, 'GRENADE!' etc...

I was actually hoping the voice overs would be heard in 3rd person so that you had a battlefield with people calling over on both sides, rather than friendlies on the radio and no calls at all from the enemy :-(
« Last Edit: 28-06-2009, 19:06:53 by djinn »

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28-06-2009, 19:06:58 »
It actually exists for the Italian smg if you check it out... At long range it sounds distant.. I used to whine about this alot,.. Wondering if anything has been doen about if for 2.2... Sometimes I play FH1 with Brutwurst's soundf patch just to get that sound varaince... Its even better in FHSW if anyone wants to check it out and get Inspired...

Basically:
1) All rifles, smgs and mgs have a 1st person view sound, a 3rd person view sound and a distant sound (sound like the 'rattle on the roof' of rain)
2) Cannon fire sounds like dull thuds over great distance and have a metallic ring in close 3rd person, like the ha-go in Letters from Iwo or the Cromwell tank in FHSW... Really think most should
3) Tank engines sound like low hums depending on their size and engine, FH0.7 withsound patch had the SPR Tiger distant sound... A bit over the top, but a toned down version of the tanks sqeeking would be appreciated
4) Explosions such as grenade blasts and HE shell ground hits made a cool distant sound, which had 2 variants to avoid monotony
5)Then ofcourse there were the whizzes from bullets and shells varying based on calibre of cannon or rocket,.. and bullet whizz had varia nts to avoid monotony

*SUGEESt: Distant muffled voices for death cries and muffled voice for any other call, 'GRENADE!' etc...

I was actually hoping the voice overs would be heard in 3rd person so that you had a battlefield with people calling over on both sides, rather than friendlies on the radio and no calls at all from the enemy :-(

Offline FactionRecon

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28-06-2009, 22:06:05 »
Wow, come to think of it I don't believe you can hear the enemy talking after all.  That would certainly help things out a lot...but paired with the distant gunfire the audio immersion would be complete.

Offline Tedacious

• FH-Betatester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28-06-2009, 23:06:13 »
on the old forums I tried to campaign for this, asking the devs to do something about this.

Repeatedly, I never got an answer. no dev even posted in the threads about the subject.
I see were you are trying to reach: "how can a 17 year old kid have such a thinking like this? why doesnt he wants to be like normal teens who whana get rich? and his plan actually makes sense, but is too damn revolutionary and good at the same time than is still doubthfull if it works..." - Damaso

Offline Sir Apple

• game artist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28-06-2009, 23:06:06 »
I know the Italian SMG has it but its so faint. Like, the only time I can ever hear it is if I'm in a super quite area.  :( It does sound cool, but still... it isn't satisfying to me, and doesn't really help the lack of sound realism.

on the old forums I tried to campaign for this, asking the devs to do something about this.

Repeatedly, I never got an answer. no dev even posted in the threads about the subject.

Aye. I remember not just you, but it seems quite a few people campaigned for this. But your right. I honestly don't really remember a dev ever publicly discussing this.

All I'm saying is, FH2's sound realism simply does not match up to the solid quality throughout the rest of the mod, at all. Maybe not a priority, but the its been mentioned repeatedly since the first Fh2 release, maybe even before then. I'd hope its changed in 2.2... not holding my breathe though.

Offline AdamPA1006

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28-06-2009, 23:06:50 »
I know the Italian SMG has it but its so faint. Like, the only time I can ever hear it is if I'm in a super quite area.  :( It does sound cool, but still... it isn't satisfying to me, and doesn't really help the lack of sound realism.

Aye. I remember not just you, but it seems quite a few people campaigned for this. But your right. I honestly don't really remember a dev ever publicly discussing this.

All I'm saying is, FH2's sound realism simply does not match up to the solid quality throughout the rest of the mod, at all. Maybe not a priority, but the its been mentioned repeatedly since the first Fh2 release, maybe even before then. I'd hope its changed in 2.2... not holding my breathe though.

You are quite right, PR sounds in this mod would just make it off the chain. There is plenty of unannounced features of 2.2 though, and maybe this is one of them. Please devs, distant sounds for all guns would rule!!

Offline Eat Uranium

• Tea Drinker
  • Global Moderator
  • Today's news will contain [REDACTED]
    • View Profile
    • FH2 Music
« Reply #11 on: 29-06-2009, 12:06:33 »
I thought the usual Lobo answer to this much needed suggestion was to state that distant sounds were already in the public mod and that we were all deaf or something.

I do have to say that from playing PRSP, distant sounds add a lot to the battle, although the distance you can hear them is a little bit extreme.  Still, I think they would add a lot to FH2.

Offline Flippy Warbear

• Global Moderator
  • Adequately docile
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29-06-2009, 13:06:35 »
Hate to say it like this but...PR has it and it adds tremendously to immersion and the feeling of being on a true battlefield. 

True battlefield, without the battlefield.  :P

Offline djinn

• Masterspammer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29-06-2009, 14:06:44 »
Actually the distance is fine, what makes it seem wierd is the fact that most guns have the same 3rd person sound for their distant sound so although it sounds more distance, its hard to tell range making it seem like all actions, in all directions are happening right round the corner

You should hear FHSW, maybe play a map like Falaise, Road to Rammelle, or Goodwood to hear the distant gunfire, arty shots and shell smacks far off... its almost tough distinguishing ambience from the distant fgihting  - Its that smooth

Offline Wasntmenl

• FHT Mapper
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30-06-2009, 01:06:05 »
The only enamy voices I heard was the automatic grenade shout. Last battle on fht was an city battle and numerous times I heard "Granata dekkung". To get back to the topic. So far I can hear certain explosions from medium distance I think. But indeed adding shots in the distance on the real guns isntead of ambiant sounds would be awesome. Especially the heavy guns like 25 pounders and 88's. If all of this is already in the mod than increase the volume of it since apperently a lot of people cant hear it.